Academically precocious kids

AMEN to Dinsdale. You should really let your son decide what do. I remember when my parents didn’t let me…:frowning: It was fun…but now I’m sort of deemed as a persona non grata. Basically not welcomed at all by any means. Sure you get to skip ahead to multifarious things but is it really worth it?

Thanks for all the feedback, folks. This is one of those wierd situations where you feel some subtle societal pressure to push your kid, which may conflict with your parental instincts.

He’s a “special” kid, to whom the “rulebook” often doesn’t seem to apply. He was a very difficult baby and toddler - probably due in part to his neurological disorder diagnosed later. His birthday is in late August, but we enrolled him in K because he seemed academically ready - and my wife could use the break! :wink: When it became obvious that he was not yet sufficiently mature, that school district would not hold him back due to class sizes. Fortunately, we moved to a new school district at the beginning of his 2d grade, so he did 1st grade again.

He really treasures his time off. He spends hours painting miniature soldiers, creating scenes with his Playmobil collections, and reading up on D&D and designing his dungeon. He is very interested in military history, and says he is interested in attending one of the military academies - most likely naval. So I help that by reading some on the military myself so we can discuss why Napolean lost Waterloo, checking out the requirements for getting an appointment to Annapolis, including a visit there on our upcoming family trip to Washington, building a shooting range up at our vacation place where he practices his archery and air-rifle/.22 marksmanship, etc.

His biggest problems in the past have concerned social type things, like bullying. So we have worked on those and are glad he seems to be doing much better in that department. Heck, he even beat up the class bully earlier this year and got suspended! Made me proud!

As far as socialization goes, his older sister is now a freshman in HS, and in the band. Her experience is that the band is a ready formed social group of pretty cool kids. Band geeks - yeah, and proud of it. Right now they are in Orlando, marching in Mickey’s parade. It looks as tho my boy will stick with the horn. He has also expressed an interest in gymnastics. And he’ll still be RPing. So I think he will be able to find his group in HS.

He’s the kind of kid that most folk would assume would be on the internet all day. But he professes himself to be somewhat of a luddite, not particularly caring for computers. He’ll come to it in his own time, to whatever extent he needs to to do what he wants.

Oh yeah - he has a bugle. We got him one and had it inscribed when he won his state division in speedskating last year.

All right - I guess I’m just bragging now. Thanks tho, really, for your input.

smiles, realizes she was one of those kids
There are some great materials on parenting the gifted child available from the publisher Freespirit
http://www.freespirit.com/html/s_search_nf.html
(Select “gifted” as category.)
All of their books are informative and usually very funny.
IMHO, don’t push him (my parents left me to my own devices and I turned out ok) but let him participate in as much “fun” stuff as he wants. I did college classes at 16, summer programs, and advanced classes. All great experiences.
-A.

Not a parent, but I feel semi-qualified to respond because I sound like your kids :slight_smile: And you didn’t say which way you were leaning in my last point so I’m taking the opportunity…

My parents pushed all of that stuff on me when I was his age, and as JessEnigma said, it all turned out pretty pointless. Even the Advanced Placement classes I took - while they were beneficial in helping me to think, I realized when I got to college that the actual information they provided was still pretty juvenile, although I didn’t know that at the time.

Focus on the social and having a good time. It sounds like he’s challenged enough already. Besides, it also sounds as though if he wasn’t challenged, he’d seek a challenge of his own.

Heck, luka. If nothing else, I could choose not to push simply because I’m cheap and lazy! Don’t need another bill to pay and another committment to drive him to. :wink:

In case I didn’t make it clear enough, it would have to be a pretty phenomenal opportunity, and he would have to express a pretty strong interest for us to put something else on his plate.

Thanks again for all the input.

He sounds like a great kid, Dinsdale, and I suspect he can make pretty sound judgements on what he needs and wants to do. Make information available to him, and see what he wants to do with it. That’s how my parents treated me and my older brother, and (if I may say so) we turned out pretty well. Certainly, there was far less teen angst and rebellion in our family than in many I’ve seen.

Also, DMing a D&D campaign is a wonderful place to let your creative impulses run free…and it can absorb every scrap of time and effort you want to put into it. He’ll have all he wants to do, as long as you can keep him in graph paper and dice. :slight_smile: