Accents you like and those you don't

Anywhere else.

Gah, what a ghastly noise they make. New Jersey too. Sounds deeply low-class and full of either angry attitude or a deep seated sense of entitlement.

Given that I’m now surrounded by them I’m trying to retrain myself out of that reaction, but it’s hard slow work.

I love the accent that actors like Hugh Grant, Colin Firth, Benedict Cumberbatch, Anthony Stewart Head, etc., use when they’re acting.

I don’t like the accent I hear many such actors using in interviews (Off the top of my head, I can’t recall which specific people have that accent).

I think both accents are usually different form of R.P., but the modern casual R.P. really hits my ear the wrong way.

The other accent that really hits my ear the wrong way is the Manchester accent. Ugh. Horrible.

Other than that, I love the sound of almost all British and Irish accents.

Dislike: That awful icky yucky tacky Geico gecko.

ETA: But I like the Aflac duck. Is that still a thing lately?

Foreign accents that grate on my nerves: German, Israeli, Indian.

Foreign accents that sound pleasant: Italian, French, Dutch, Scandinavian, African*

Foreign accents that I find unpleasant, but not nerve grating: Russian, Chinese, Vietnamese

*Not sure what part of African this comes from, but there are certain folks from Africa whom I find it very pleasant to listen to.

Not so much an accent, but I found it jarring every time Carl Sagan said “yooge” for “hyooge” (huge) or “yooman” for “hyooman” (human) in the original “Cosmos.” I know a (Dutch-descended white) guy from South Africa, and I found his accent took a little getting used to.

New Jersey accents grate horribly.

Not to get all 'enry 'iggins here, but accents can be so very specific to a small bit of geography that it’s hard to say “I like Georgia accents” or “I hate Georgia accents.” Seriously.

I have a coastal Georgia accent. Most of my forebears for several generations have lived in coastal Georgia - Chatham, Bryan, Liberty, McIntosh, and Glynn Counties, mostly, except for a few post-Revolutionary War land grants on the “frontier” - Appling County, mostly - and one famine refugee who arrived from Ireland around 1830 or 40. It’s a slow, soft accent. My husband was born 5 months before me, and 30 miles southwest. His accent is more harsh, more “redneck,” for lack of a better description - when he says the word “still,” it’s two distinct syllables: “STEE-uhl.” I say it slowly, but it’s a single syllable. My accent derives more from a softened English accent, his is the harsher descendant of the Scots-Irish who settled in the Appalachians and moved south - more twangy, flat vowels, more distinctive. Based on many conversations I’ve had with people from pretty much everywhere, mine is the more pleasant accent - softer, more “proper.” Which is kind of funny, because I’m descended pretty much from poor folk/yeoman farmers and craftsmen, and my husband’s were doctors and bank presidents and people who founded towns and stuff.

Personally, I like a lot of accents - Russian is lovely, and a man from Morocco or southwest Ireland could probably seduce me with a phone conversation. But most New England accents are awful, to my ears - that guy from Wicked Tuna makes me dive for the remote. He might be perfectly nice, but I can’t listen to him! And there are certain flat/twangy Appalachian accents that also make me itchy, along with “Yat” accents from New Orleans. Ugh. My favorite American English accents are Savannah/Charleston-ish/coastal southeastern - soft and informal, but precise, if that makes any sense.

There’s a particular accent common around Rockford, IL that will drive me to want to kill.

I find most English accents to be incredibly grating.

The hackles on the back of my neck bristle when I hear the South African accent, especially here in Australia for some reason. Similarly, I find the New Zealand accent discomforting, even though I know plenty of Kiwis and count many of them as my close friends.

Strange…

A lot of people say they hate New Jersey accents, but it seems they’re really thinking of a small subset of Jersey accents - the stereotypically Sopranos/Jersey Shore varieties. Other New Jersey accents can be quite pleasant. Bruce Springsteen, Whitney Houston, Martha Stewart, and Meryl Streep all grew up in New Jersey, just for a few counter-examples.

I’m with the others when it comes to Long Island, no thanks. ‘shOO-ah’ = ‘Sure.’
However, most European accents are very pleasant.

Lately, I’ve been admiring the light, airy accent of NPR’s social science reporter, Shankar Vedantam. (Sample - makes noise!)

And, of course, Jamaican accents are super warm and rich.

Australian accents grate on me. Sorry mates! (I’m Australian too). For some reason they sound flat and nasally :stuck_out_tongue:

I love an Irish accent - there may be many but I love them all - musical and interesting.
I also like most Southern USA accents, and I like northern east coast (like Maine) accents.
All European accents are at least interesting and none are annoying. Some are sexy.

Years ago I had an IBM computer and needed to call them for some help. Even with an 800 number, I ended up talking to their call center in Ireland. She had a lovely accent.

I miss the broken English/Yiddish accents of my grandparents and their generation. But that’s probably more nostalgia than actually enjoying them.

With you on both those :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if these are based on real accents but I hate the way the guy from the zyppah commercial on satellite radio sounds. I also dislike the sound of the “spare money in your pocket” from the satellite TV commercial that plays on satellite radio. Are those even real accents, and if so which ones are they?

Which one? There’s no one South African accent. Just broadly there’s the English, Afrikaans, Bantu and Coloured accents.

My least favourite accent is probably Russian, it sounds like they’re swallowing the words.
My favourite is the RADA accent, probably.

I used to work with a lovely, red-headed lady of Irish ancestry. I was enchanted by her accent, to the point that I could listen to her read a phone book and enjoy it.

Sigh.

Accents I understand are good.

Accents I don’t understand are bad.

Accents of people who can’t rephrase, spell or explain are the worst.

Ultimately, as long as your voice itself is nice, I can deal with you just fine. If your accent AND your voice is terrible, then you and I can never be close. :frowning: I’m so sorry, but this is one of my deal-breakers.

Funnily enough, the accents I love seem to be ones on a lot of “hated” lists. I think the Boston-area accents are charming (no, really!), I love the Northern English and Northern Irish accents I’ve heard, I like hearing Russians speak English (and Russian). Southern accents in general are pleasant to me if they’re soft – I love the Virginia Tidewater accent, which is sadly on its decline.

I LOVE listening to people from Spain speak Spanish or English (and I’m sure they sound beautiful speaking other languages as well!). Can’t get enough of those sibilant Ss. Antonio Banderas can try to sell me Nasonex all day long.

The ones that drive me nuts are really nasal accents, like from Chicago and the upper Midwestern states. I live outside of Philadelphia, and unfortunately the Philly-area accents (which I myself have – my sincere apologies) and the Baltimore accents are dire, too. I don’t know what happened in history to bequeath to this little section of the country such heinous speech patterns, but I hope our forefathers deserved it.