Accents you like and those you don't

Accents I can’t stand to listen to:

[ol]
[li]NYC-Puerto Rican (Bronx?). [/li][li]Jersey Shore Italian[/li][li]Whatever accent Nicki Minaj speaks in[/li][li]Whatever that British lower class accent is that says things like “fink” for “think” and similar things. David Beckham is damned close to having that accent.[/li][/ol]

Most foreign accents don’t bug me much for whatever reason, although sometimes foreign word choices are annoying because they’re technically correct, but overwhelmingly weird. (“Do the needful” for example).

Until I was 10 years old, I lived off of St. Charles Ave. in New Orleans. My father hated the Yat dialectin the area and didn’t want his kids sounding like that. So we moved to Metairie. There were other reasons for the move, but that’s the one he always gave.

I wish we still owned the house, a block down from Commander’s Palace.

I like the Russian accent, and I like the name for their currency.
I guess I also like Hugh Dennis’ accent, Indian and that of Nova Scotia.
I can’t stomach the Australian accent.
I also got rupee and Rouble mixed up, I nearly posted Ruple. As in Ruple Murdoch :rolleyes:

Welcome to the message board, Indus.1999. You have revived an older thread, so be prepared for possible zombie jokes.

I don’t like that the Midwestern accent. I blame “Making of a Murderer” for reminding me of this.

I didn’t want to bring this up in the M a M thread, but I was tempted to watch it on mute with the cc on. In fact I quit watching after about seven episodes as I couldn’t listen to any more. I know this is a flaw in my character, but I found myself so freaking irritated by everyone’s voice that I had to keep reminding myself it was about the injustice and to not lose sympathy just because I don’t like their accents.

Don’t you warsh yer hands in the zink like the rest of us? And eat ersters from the wooder? Downy oshun?

And it’s “Bawlmer,” thank you very much. :slight_smile:

Canadians don’t have accents*. For some reason, it’s the residents of all other English-speaking countries in the world (with the exception of a few parts of the northern US) who have all kinds of accents. Strange but true. :wink:

*with the exception of Newfoundland, barely a part of Canada at all. And of course the French.

Several others have said the same. Sometimes it’s true. The other day I was on the phone to a young lady in Quebec who spoke with a charming accent that sounded Parisian and sophisticated and was really quite lovely. The fact that her English was flawless except for the accent made it all the more charming.

Unfortunately to my ear heavy French accents often sound comical, which may be unfair but I blame movies and TV. It’s hard not to think of any of the following:

• the French knights at the top of the castle in Monty Python and the Holy Grail (possibly the most oft-quoted movie scene in history!),

• the romantic cartoon skunk Pepe Le Pew, a direct riff on Maurice Chevalier, and

• the scene in revolutionary France from Mel Brooks’ History of the World Part I: “We are so poor we do not even have our own language. All we have is this outrageous accent!” :smiley:

I really like the Canadian accent on women. Take me to bed! Don’t think anything about it on dudes other than “You’re from Canada.” Other than that…I guess I like the Asian Indian accent a bit on women. On dudes I think “This is an unattractive sound that you’re making.” although since I’m straight as straight can be it really makes no difference at all. (Like most of my opinions.)

I dislike the flat-ness of my voice (that would be flat central Canadian), but generally love most other accents and pick them up like a sponge.

Yinzers make my ass itch.