According to the legends, what are the names of the Three Wise Men?

Do any of the legends include the names of the Three Wise Men? I know, I know, the bible doesn’t specifically say three and I understand all the other biblical disclaimers. I’m asking about the legends that have grown *out *of the biblical story which *do *mention 3 wise men.

It would appear that one can call the wise men who visited Jesus by any name one would wish, but the tradition has it they were named Gaspar, Balthasar, and Melchior.

http://en.bibleinfo.com/questions/question.html?id=761

Gaspar, Balthasar, and Melchior have become the standard traditional trio of names in the Latin West, but there were other versions in other languages - see the table at the bottom of this page (actually the Google cache of it) for a fairly complete listing of those I’ve seen.

I’ve generally seen them as Caspar, Balthasar and Melchior.

These traditional names for the three Magi give rise to the Catholic tradition of distributing chalk, previously blessed by the priest, after mass on the feast of the Epiphany (6 January). The chalk is then used to write the letters CBM over the entrance doorway to one’s house. By later extension the letters have also been interpreted as standing for Christus mansionem benedicat i.e. may Christ bless this house.

Moe, Larry, and Curly.

Oh, sorry. Those are the three wise guys. My bad.

This is fascinating.

http://www.foxearth.org.uk/blog/2004/12/bithiserea-melchior-and-gathaspa.html

It would be interesting to see those early references.

Hehehehehe.

He said, “Hor.”

Damn. That’s what I was gonna post. :smiley:

Ol’ Caspar, Melchior, and Bathasar even had their own kingdoms and ages. IIRC, Balthasar was a king of Africa, and a young man. This was also used to show that Christ is King of all the earth, and that mortal kings must submit to Him. It was popular as an artistic theme, since kings often needed to be reminded of that. :wink:

If you ever need a refresher in the names, play Chrono Trigger. The characters Gaspar, Bathasar, and Melchior figure relatively prominently. Besides, Chrono Trigger is a really good game and you should play it if you haven’t already.

Another modern reference: Caspar, Balthisar, and Melchior are the names of the three Magi supercomputers in Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Bob, Bob, and Bob.

But that just got confusing, so they decided to change their names instead to Dave, Dave, and Dave.

Then they wised up, and changed their names to Larry, Darryl, and Darryl.

(You knew that was coming. ;))

Add me to the list - but I suspected I was too late. :smiley:

My first mental response was Shadrach (clap clap), Meshach (clap clap), A-bed-neee-goooo!

Whoops, wrong Testament.

Mine too, that is why I had to ask. :slight_smile: If course in my tiny little child brain I thought it was Shadrach, Meshach and to bed we go.

You should have seen the little dance I did when I got to the bottom of the thread and saw nobody had posted that yet …

Damn. Now I’ll have Beastie Boys in my head for a few hours.

Sure it wasn’t “Dewy, Cheteam and Howe”?

I thought it was Mohicus, Larrius, and Curlicue.