Acne or fat?

I can cover up most acne and still be attractive. I’ve been fat in the past and the attractiveness part pretttttty much vanished.

I voted for acne, but I could have gone the other way.

Acne. They can always put a bag over my head.

Like others who have had acne, I’m choosing the weight option. Big, painful cysts, whiteheads everywhere, zits on my EARS FFS, getting called “pizza face” as a 35yo adult, scarfing down steroids just to calm things down…it was pretty nasty for awhile, and didn’t start until my 30’s, so growing out of it–and getting zits when the old skin isn’t as pliable or forgiving also sucks–didn’t apply to my situation. My uncle went on Accutane. He said it cleared up his acne but turned him into a raging asshole. Great!

I’ve never been 100lbs overweight, so I could be naive about what 100 extra pounds actually feels like. But perfect skin, you say? Hmmmm. I’d like some of that.

IME, the acne is much easier to solve. I’ve still got “juvenile acne” at 42, but I also have a roll-on which is barely short of miraculous for it. The extra weight? Nope, no roll-on I can apply when I feel the kilos coming.

I’m of the appropriate age to remember when Andy Ridgeley was being sold as “a heart-throb” by teen mags; I kept telling my friends “just give ‘that one with all the acne’ a few months”. Yep, for a year or so it was Ridgeley who was “the cute one” - and yep, it lasted for about as long as it took for George Michael’s dermatological treatment to kick in.

I feel almost completely opposite to this. Having healthy, beautiful, glowing skin is something that you really can’t fake with makeup, and adds a lot more to attractiveness than being slender does, in my opinion. 100 pounds overweight is a lot, but as others have pointed out, you can lose weight, but acne scars are forever. (And even if you don’t scar…well, I’d still take the beautiful skin. Speaking as someone who has struggled with severe acne in the past, and also struggled with weight issues.)

Seriously, who would you rather be?

Melissa McCarthy from Mike & Molly and Samantha Who, or this woman with adult acne?

I chose the acne. I don’t know why, and I never really realized it before, but I find a certain kind of acne scarring just … very sexy. Kind of a … pockmarked sort of look? Oddly enough, I don’t think I’ve ever thought about it until thinking about this question.

–delete–

I chose fat, as much as I hate flab and take pride in my chiseled bod. You see, I have adult bacne and I have to fight it daily and expensively to keep my back somewhat presentable (ie. no <50 zits up to fingertip size on it at any one time).

Having done major body modification, I’m certain I could shed the 100 extra pounds with simple measures and little cost plus loads of hard work. Compared to that, perfect skin is a precious gift; the rare person with it truly stands out in a beautiful way.

Acne will go away eventually. Fat often stays forever. Since we’re already talking on a purely physical level, I don’t think I need to feel bad in stating that while extra pounds might pudge one out, in the dark of the bedroom a perfect body will still be mighty-awesome. The acne won’t show.

That is a myth. Adult acne exists. It can be highly resistant to treatment.

No, but I’ve had acne severe enough that it could be felt.

I don’t know what to say to this. I’m sorry that for some people acne is a perpetual problem. I was posting about acne in the knowledge that I have of it. I know some older folk who still suffer from the condition, but even in their case I did not consider it a permanent condition. My ignorance has been fought.

I must say, I’m impressed with the people who seem to be confident that they could lose the weight. My body weight is within normal range (albeit the upper end of normal: 135 lbs. and 5’3"), and I work like a dog just to maintain that weight. To have 100 lbs. of weight to lose? My gosh. I’m definitely not as confident as some of you seem to be.

By the way, I didn’t vote in the poll. My initial inclination was to choose the acne, but I think that’s because I’ve struggled with my weight ever since puberty while my complexion hasn’t given me any trouble. And the more I thought about having severe acne, the more I couldn’t make up my mind.

I work with a chick with a smokin’ hot body, but adult acne. I also work with a chick who is cute but about 60 lbs overweight. I’d definitely take the body/acne girl.

I didn’t vote. I have problems with my complexion and not my weight, but while acne’s definitely a pain in the ass, I can’t say that I’d want to be severely overweight, either. And neither problem is an “it’ll just go away” kind of thing–given the right circumstances, NEITHER of them will.

As you didn’t exclude a hot body with the “perfect skin and 100 lbs over weight” option, this is a pretty easy choice.

See, I read this as, “BomTek, would you be more likely to hit on a woman if she had acne and a nice body or perfect skin with some extra cushion?” not, “BomTek, would you rather be in shape and have acne or…?” It seems most people have read it the second way. The way I read it, it was a pretty easy choice: I like women that others would call chubby.
Answering it the other way, I probably would have gone the same direction, but that’s a tougher call.

Hmm, yes, I read it that way too, BomTek. Personally I think I’d rather be overweight, because acne can be very painful.

Yeah… if you’re aware of the statistics, you shouldn’t be confident at all that you’ll ever be within normal weight ranges again. Vanishingly few people can lose 100+ lbs and keep it off for more than a couple years.

Neither problem is an easily solvable one! Being that overweight has more of an impact on your daily life and health than having a facial disfiguration like acne, IMO, which is why I chose acne. I have a few friends who are 70-100 lbs overweight or more, and they can’t perform how I can physically (which would put a damper on every aspect of my life as it is now) plus it raises your risk for several chronic health problems. Acne is just ugly, I can deal with that (I have before for many years).