Actors who have negative charisma

I disagree with those who say Jeff Daniels and Nick Cage, I generally will see a movie just because they are in them. But that’s just my opinion.

I do agree with Jennifer Love Hewitt, if she’s in it, I avoid it, like the plague.

I can’t stand James Spader, I use to like him. I think he’s a good actor, but I’ve seen him play the same effing character for so long that I just think “sleaze” at the mere mention of his name. He depresses me.

Hugh Grant. The bloke makes me want to rip out my femoral artery and choke myself with it.

William Holden: I guess he was supposed to be the guy at the center of the movie with integrity, but he always came off as cranky.

David Jansen: He was brooding, right? That was that “interior acting” he was doing? What a wet blanket.

I get Bill Pullman and Bill Paxton mixed up, which is OK, because I hate them both.

Submitted for your approval: Mr. Van Wilder himself, Ryan Reynolds, poster child for everything wrong with the cinmatic American male.

And let’s not leave out Johnny Knoxville!

On second thought, let’s leave him out. Of life.

Which one was he?

You know, that general look just puts me to sleep. Those sort of thick-faced young actors who tend to have mussed-up hair all run together for me. Hawke gets more interesting as he gets older; maybe Hartnett will, too.

Ziyi Zhang for me. She’s pretty in the right outfit, but she’s dull. I’d much rather watch almost any of her co-stars in almost any movie; she’s usually heavily outclassed. Heck, her dance double from House of Flying Daggers stole the show from her.

Perhaps because he’s Canadian?

Gotta agree with this one. One of my favorite old movies is Ivanhoe. I’ve gotten my daughter hooked on it. But once the fond childhood memories have eroded away, it becomes perfectly clear that Robert Taylor has about as much of a dramatic range as a Douglas fir. And not an especially talented Douglas fir, either.

“I vant to be alone, you borink sonofabitch!”

No Keanu votes yet? Shocking.

His problem is the opposite. He’s nothing but charisma.

All Taylor had going for him was a reasonably handsome mug and a knack of wearing clothes well. He drives me a little nuts with his delivery: every line sounds the same in that slightly sardonic middle-western mutter of his.

I know I’ll get some disagreement, but for me, personally: Burt Reynolds, Sylvester Stallone, Jean-Claude Van Damm (sp?), Jennifer Lopez.

Patrick Swayze and Richard Gere. Especially Swayze.

Steven Seagal. Sorry, but Tobey Maguire.

See, to me someone that inspires that much energy does not have “negative charisma”, at least the way I understand the OP. He inspires something in you, even if it’s hate!!

I’m having a hard time thinking of someone, probably because they don’t stand out. I guess I’d have to echo William Hurt.

No, he does have Charisma. It’s just that he can’t act, and personally hs is a sleaze. However playing himself, he was great in Grease. Other than that- not so much.

Yeah, I was trying to come up with his name earlier, and couldn’t. That, in itself, says buckets.

Sandy Duncan had a sparkle in her eye and a smile that could light up a room. She was the Meg Ryan of her day. Her only problem was that she was a far better stage performer than a movie actress.

Tom Selleck comes across great on TV. Put him in a movie and he sinks it.

To me, Matthew Broderick is the dullest performer on the face of the earth. Ture, I’ve never seen him perform live, but I can’t see why anyone likes him.

I agree to disagree on Sandy.
On Matthew, I think it is based on his early work. He was so good in Wargames, Ladyhawke and Ferris Bueller’s Day Off that if he wanted to, he could coast on that. I think he was also excellent in The Freshman, Glory & Biloxi Blues and good in Election.

Jim

I have to fifth (sixth? seventh?) Nicholas Cage. Watching him try to act is like watching old people try to have sex.

Ugh. I can’t think of a single actor that I dislike more. There are apparently some decent movies that I’ve never seen, because he was in them.

Regarding James Spader, I actually love him, just because he is so very depressing. He was one of the only redeeming parts of Crash for me.