Actors who have negative charisma

Of the old timers:

I just can’t develop any interest for any of Henry Fonda’s characters. Sorry, I’ll go face a corner after I finish the post.

Of the current ones that haven’t been mentioned:

Have I mentioned I’ll avoid any movie with Tom Cruise in it? The only script I’d give that guy is a Colgate ad. He can’t act and I don’t even find him handsome (yes, I know I have bad taste, I’ll go to that corner now).

He’s the only man I trust to protect me from the metal ones. On the strength of that ad alone, he does not belong in this thread.

Re Lance Henriksen

I thought he was good in Millenium. In those episodes where he worried aout his daughter instead of serial killers or conspiracies, he was great.

Same guy. She left Kiefer Suthlerland and took up with Jason Patrick.

Woody Allen. When he dies, he won’t be most remembered for his acting (or even his movies).

Did you mean in the movie? The abuser was Patrick Bergin The teacher guy was Kevin Anderson

Man, your post is totally hilarious if you do it in Ben Stiller’s voice. Particularly the crazy guy on Friends who ends up screaming at the ducks and goose.

-Joe

Are people just naming people they don’t like or actually trying to recognize “negative charisma”.

Vince Vaughan? He is FAR from a great actor, but the one skill he has in spades is sparking up a scene.

Jeff Daniels is an odd one. You can’t look away from him in The Squid and the Whale (he’s so good in that) and I’m a big fan of his artistry in Dumb and Dumber. However, he definitely has brought the energy-suck into some of his work. . .something like Arachnophobia for instance where he had to bring the intensity. Or the mind numbing Gods and Generals. Mind. Numbing.

I have to also put in a vote for Nicholas Cage. And it’s funny, I don’t really dislike him, but I always feel like he’s kind of…not there in movies. Kind of like a square peg in a round hole.

:smack: Sorry about that. Real life and the movie smushed together!

Right. The OP asks for

not sucky actors. My first instinct was Keanu Reeves but since he does inspire a reaction I had to dismiss him.

(Bolding mine) That sparkle was just the studio lights reflecting off of her glass eye.

Re: Jeff Daniels, I smite all of you that think he’s uncharismatic. Smite I say. :wink:

Really, check out his performances in the following and tell me that man can’t act!

He’s the kind of guy I’d love to sit in a bar and chat with.

Chasing Sleep, Imaginary Heroes, Terms of Endearment, 2 Days In The Valley,The Butcher’s Wife, Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael (bad movie but Jeff shined),Something Wild, & Checking Out

Mine are Bill Paxton and Richard Gere. Both of them seem to be asleep most of the time.

Honorable mention to Nicholas Cage. Blah.

I agree with some of those mentioned here, but the first one that popped into my mind when I saw the thread title was David Morse.

I’ve known people (well, one) who think he’s the sexiest thing on two legs, but I just don’t see it. To me, he’s a big, boring guy who looks like an overgrown baby and never seems to get out of first gear in anything I’ve seen him in (which admittedly isn’t much–I thought he was dull as dishwater in “The Langoliers” and not much better in the few episodes I saw of the TV series “Hack.”)

I have nothing personally against the guy, but he’s dull, dull, dull!

How in the world did we get this far without mentioning Leslie Howard?!?!? No doubt (somewhat) talented, he had the awe-inspiring skill of draining the lifeblood out of every scene he’s in. Scarlett preferred him over Rhett? :confused:

Simple: we all forgot he was even there! However, he was playing Ashley (sp?), who also drained the life out of all his scenes in the book, IMHO. Either he’s totally lacking in charisma himself, or he was just really, really good at playing that part.

He was much better in other roles: see his 'Enry 'Iggins in Pygmalion or Sir Percival in The Scarlet Pimpernel. It’s a pity that he’s most remembered for Ashley Wilkes in GWTW, a role he was too old for and hated playing–and, let’s face it, it shows.

(I feel the same way about Paul Heinreid who, poor thing, will be remembered as the dreary Victor Laszlo in Casablanca, when he was actually funny and charming in other movies, and even had some hot cigarette sexiness with Bette Davis in Now, Voyager.)

Regarding negative charisma actors, there was the ever-bland Ronny Cox who used to show up in '70s and '80s TV shows as a kind of unfunny McLean Stevenson stand-in. He parlayed that into a recurring role on St. Elsewhere as the doctor running the hospital for a medical conglomerate. Ever since then, every role I’ve seen him in has him playing the same corporate creep type of role.

Oh, and regarding

c’mon, that just wasn’t nice.

This I just don’t get. Percy is supposed to be a big strapping guy (I think Russell Crowe might be the right choice today) and I just can’t reconcile Leslie Howard and the novel’s description of Percy.

He may be “better”, but Wendy Hiller & Wilfred Lawson wipe the floor with him in the former, and he’s completely miscast (as gigi notes) in the latter. The Petrified Forest may have been Bogie’s breakout role, but the film is nearly unwatchable because of Howard. Howard’s best film is probably The 49th Parallel, partially because he’s barely in it.

Compared to Howard, Henreid is George frickin’ Clooney.

The worst that I haven’t seen mentioned yet is Robert Mitchum. He was even dull in “Cape Fear.”

Kevin Bacon doesn’t do a thing for me either. So dull I can’t think of anything else to say.

While Bill Murray used to be fun to watch, now that all he does is play brooding, middle-aged guys who appear to be mostly dead, he sucks hard.

Jeremy Irons is also a waste of screen time. He’s creepy, but in a really boring way.

On the female side, I don’t get the attraction of Barbara Stanwyck, Susan Hayward, or Olivia DeHaviland. I don’t really mind the latter two, they just don’t move me. But I detest Stanwyck.