Actress Ellen Page come out

Having checked out likely candidates for this “other” at “whosdatedwho”, I just want to say that should the other turn out to be Charlize Theron, there would be the apt anagram “another rich lez”.

After Jodie Foster came out, Ellen Page was tapped as the next leader of the “Everyone Knows You’re Gay” club.

The more time goes on the less I understand the whole press-conference-to-come-out thing. It’s just not a big deal anymore so let’s stop issuing BREAKING NEWS every time someone comes out of the closet. Truthfully lesbians haven’t been shocking in hollywood since the 90’s. Big action star alpha male comes out? Yeah, that might be news I guess but not random B+ list female who has always given off that vibe anyway.

Was at a Canadian guild awards show five or six years ago and the running joke by the hosts (who themselves were gay) was “gayer than Ellen Page”.

Good for her though. Met her a few times and she seemed like a solid chick. Love her.

seemed convincing on playing it straight to me.

In the late 1990s, MTV News announced that a prominent heavy metal singer was going to announce that he was gay. My thought was that it was either going to be totally obvious, or a complete surprise. I was telling my brother about this on the phone, and he started yelling, “It’s Rob Halford. It’s ROB HALFORD. It’s RAAAAAHB HAAAAALFORD!” :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW, he was right. And a total no-brainer.

I saw “Hard Candy” not long ago, and figured the actress was probably a lesbian, whether acting and/or IRL.

This is one of the things that has actually always baffled me about Page. She’s been on those “In the Closet, But Not Really” lists for years. She talks about how hard it is to lie all these years, but was she ever really “in”? Does anyone care about the sexual orientation of a 26-year old in 2014? Or even 2007 when she was in Juno?

I agree, this is non-news, but I’m glad Page feels better as I’ve always liked her as an actress.

While I commend Page for being forthright about her sexuality, I’m wondering why she just didn’t position herself as bisexual, much the way Michelle Rodriguez has done. I guess it might be a half-lie (although she’s only 26 and sometimes things change) but it would keep her from losing out on any casting opportunities. Now if she has a partner and they’re ready to settle down, then I understand completely.

I think she has a wonderful persona, if a little “short” on the charisma. I liked her in Juno, although I felt the Oscar nomination was way overboard… in fact, IMO, Jennifer Garner stole the picture. But I look forward to seeing her in a wide variety of roles, and I hope her coming out doesn’t mean that big-budget movies will bypass her as less marketable.

And for the record, I find her adorable and sexy, in spite of all of her sensible footwear.

Please post a link to the press conference Ellen Page called to announce her coming out.

Thing is, it IS a big deal. Read any Comments section about this (or any other gay matter) and you’ll see a ton of bigotry and hatred oozing like stinky slime. When being gay is treated the same as having hazel eye color then it won’t be a big deal. There aren’t laws on the books to keep people with hazel eyes from marrying. Brutes don’t bully and beat people with hazel eyes simply BECAUSE they have hazel eyes. Kids don’t commit suicide because they have hazel eyes. No one is marginalized or discriminated against for having hazel eyes.

When gays have full equal rights, and it’s the bigots who die off or go into the closet, that’s when it won’t be a big deal anymore. Until then, any prominent person who comes out helps us get to that point. If her coming out and the press running with it helps one kid out there not commit suicide because they’re gay, it’s worth every bit of publicity the press gives it.

Does being gay in Hollywood keep you from being casts in certain roles? That would surprise me.

It’s certainly changing, but I remember 16 years ago, it did damage to Anne Heche’s career as a leading lady in a big-budget movie. I remember watching Six Days, Seven Nights in the theater, and a lot of snickering from the peanut gallery.

I don’t think an actor’s/actresse’s sexuality is critical in smaller-budget films, but I do think it’s still an issue in playing a romantic lead in a big-budget picture. If just 15% of the potential audience has a problem buying a gay or lesbian, then that’s going to be enough to deter a producer.

Again, things do change quickly. But can you think of any openly gay performer that’s been cast as a romantic lead in big motion picture? (after publicly coming out)

How about the one in the OP?

The Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory should not be used as a realistic barometer as to how the general public feels about this thing.

I’m not a movie buff. Judy Foster?

Neil Patrick Harris, just off the top of my head.

You mean Jodie Foster… but she didn’t come out until 3 years ago? Although it was one of those things that was well known in the movie world, and assumed by a good portion((30%?) of movie goers. But Jodie was best known for her non-romantic roles, I think, The Accused, Contact, Silence of the Lambs, Little Man Tate, Nell, etc.

She did Sommersby with Richard Gere, which was poorly received, and I remember a Judy Tenuta joke about how during their love scene, Jodie was thinking about a woman and Gere was thinking about a Gerbil. And that was years before she came out publicly. Maverick, where she played opposite Mel Gibson wasn’t very romantic a role.

NPH isn’t getting any romantic roles in big-budget films. He’s great as a rake in Harold & Kumar, playing himself pretending to be gay.

And even a very popular TV show appeals to only a portion of the general audience.

Wasn’t called, by her, to announce she was gay. She was speaking at an event regarding gay rights and chose to come out during it.

How about the state of Kansas?

You can’t just poo-poo a very real example because you don’t watch the show. And Harris playing a hyper heterosexual horndog in the Harold & Kumar movies after he publicly came out is even better proof that the public doesn’t care than if he had played a traditional romantic lead.

And why would you discount TV as not being popular enough? HIMYM is seen by about nine million people every week. If it were a movie released last year, it would have been the 50th most popular movie out of 683 releases. How is that not mainstream enough for you?

It was still a press event and the most high profile “coming out” in a long time. It’s not a dig on Page, but it’s odd that a 26-year old felt the need to do it during that kind of forum.

A conference specifically dealing with the issues of gay youth is an “odd” place for a 26 year old to come out?

How so, exactly? It seems like the most appropriate place imaginable to me.