Adobe Illustrator : Is there a way to make a font italics?

Photoshop has an option to make fonts that do not have an italic option into a faux-italic style. I cannot find the same in Illustrator CS. Am I missing something or did they leave out something this obvious?

This should help. Scroll down and you’ll find it. You’re creating what’s known as an “oblique” font. An oblique is just a slanted regular typeface. I would only use obliques for sans serifs. These sorts of faux italics look terrible when seriffed.

I’ve got a little window on mine that has “character” “paragraph” and “open type” tabs. In the Character tab; the first line is the font style, and the second allows bolding or italics, or even bold-italic
You getting that poster done for the conference next week too?

Sigene, what you said works when the font you’re using has bold and italics options, but there are many that don’t, and that was what I was asking about. Pulykamell actually had a workable answer to my problem. Thank you for that. Here’s the trick, in case anyone wants to know in the future.

Select your text, right-click it, and go to

Transform --> Shear --> Horizontal --> Choose ~12 degrees.

This will create a faux italics. The article also mentioned that you should create text outlines before you do all this, but it appears to be unnecessary.

I would recommend the outlines as you’re creating vector shapes that will definitely output in the desired manner. If you use a font without outlines, there’s always the possibility of a glitch and if something goes wrong and a font is substituted, the results may not be what you want.

I’ve also had some goofy things happen to fonts when I torture them before turning them into outlines.

I would recommend always creating outlines of everything before you go to output.