Adult Acne -- can anyone relay a non-accutane treatment that worked?

If you can, get your hands on this stuff:
http://www.ciao.co.uk/L_Garnier_Synergie_C_Reviving_Foam_Wash__68350
That plus St Ives Apricot Scrub (I use the normal, but they have a medicated and a sensitive) is my morning face washing routine, and it works.

I found most stuff designed for blemish prone skin smells horrible and rips my face off, while still leaving it feeling dirty at the end. This combo doesn’t.

Plus, for removing makeup and cleaning my face in the evening i use these things:
http://www.ciao.co.uk/L_Garnier_Synergie_Express_3_in_1__68352

Which are fabulous.

It is, but in a lower concentration (2%?) than most OTC products. Supposedly, that’s enough to do the job without causing the irritation of a 10% solution. I have not been able to find another product like it in the stores around here.

It has worked really well for me, although I have been having some cystic troubles just lately. I ascribe those to the crap I’ve been eating lately, plus stress.

I just had a thread on this subject. Went to the dermatologist this Monday.

I have “atopic” skin - not atopic eczema or the like, just “atopic”, which apparently translates as “bad”. If it gets dry, it gets eczema. If it gets moist, it gets pimples. I use Benzoyl Peroxide and that seems to work okay, but the dermatologist also gave me a weird antibiotic foam prescription since I’m having extra trouble in the summer.

My impression is that Pro-Active is a combo of benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, and a toner? I would suggest going to the above-referenced www.acne.org to find much cheaper 2% benzoyl peroxide. You can get it in 8 oz. tubes that last forever. And I use Clear Skin salicylic acid, which is alot cheaper than others. So, all the benefits, but a lot less $$$.

Yes, Diane 35 is available in Canada. I used to take it. At the time, it was not approved for sale as a contraceptive in the states. That may have changed in the past two years, or perhaps not in light of recent studies.

Diane 35 has an increased risk of venous thromboembolism, moreso than other contraceptive pills on the market. The risk is still very small, mind you, but something to consider and discuss with your doctor.

I forgot to mention for spot treatment try Acnomel, available from drugstore.com. Put a glob of it on anything overnight and it’ll be almost gone by morning, even the most painful, throbbing sores. The ingredients look almost the same as Clearasil Adult Acne but for some reason it works better.

Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask works just as good for spot treatments but it’s bright green and not very good for daytime use.

I’m another one who has tried lots of different treatments, including courses of oral antibiotics. Never went as far as Accutane, though. Right now, I’m using two topical prescription meds: Retin-A Micro and Duac (combo of clindamycin, an antibiotic, and benzoyl peroxide). It’s working quite well.

Thanks, niblet_head! I may just do that. :slight_smile:

I did this too and it worked for the most part. I tried Proactiv and it worked for a long while then my skin didn’t react to it, so I had to discontinue. My doctor put me on a pretty strong antibiotic (it said it was used to treat anthrax!!!) and it killed it. The few breakouts I have now I take care of with liberal use of vanishing cream twice a day.

Good luck! I know how much it sucks. At a job a couple years ago, one of our vendors came in and asked me if I had chicken pox. I told her “no, it’s called adult acne”, she then replied “well, it LOOKS like you have chicken pox!”.

Stupid c*nt. :mad:

I’m twenty-five, and my skin is currently MUCH worse, acne-wise, than it was when I was fifteen.

I’m currently using a lower-cost “system” that’s very similar to ProActiv (even has a chart comparing its ingredients to ProActive) and it seems to be helping. But then, benzoyl peroxide is just about the only thing that ever seems to make a dent in my acne, and thus far my skin isn’t sensitive to it (knock on wood).

One thing that used to help me was making sure to take vitamins, especially B complex vitamins.