Advice on Buying a PC Power Supply, Please

What do I look for? ( I know that I need 350W or greater and the I need an ATX)
What are some good brand names?

I’m going to Fry’s to buy one tomorrow, but I’d like to get one that’ll work very well and last a long time.

I don’t know what to look for when I buy one?

any suggestions?

I’m not the world’s most knowledgeable computer guy, but we recently bought one for my wife’s computer. Just walked into CompUSA and picked up the first 350 watt one we saw, took it home, connected it, and it works like a charm. It is so quiet, you can’t even tell the computer is running when you’re right next to it. As opposed to the 450 watt PS in my brand new computer, which makes a constant racket. I might have to pony up the $70 to go back to CompUSA.

Thanks for your input.

You’re welcome.

I might mention that the brand of the PS we bought was the generic CompUSA one, because it was the least expensive. I was surprised that it is much more quiet in operation than the one Sony put in originally. You were wondering about the life span of a PS - the Sony’s PS was in near constant operation for almost 6 years. It still works, but dust and cat hair and usage have made it noisier than it was. If not for that, it would still be in there. It was just time for a new one. The CompUSA 450W one is $70.

For parts, I go to Tom’s Hardware for the recommendations.

Make sure the vendor you choose has a good return policy in case it doesn’t work, and be careful of “refurbished” parts.

If you have the cash, PC Power & Cooling is the top of the line stuff. Or for less, Antec(what I use), Enermax, and Thermaltake are all top notch brands with good reputations.