Advice on SECOND time home buying

Hi everyone. Yes I am back. I am here for some advice. I always got good advice here.

I am a first time homebuyer, bought a house in 2019. I would like to start looking for a new house this year. It’s probably going to take me a year, as the market is difficult right now for buyers, and I want to find my “forever” home. So this isn’t urgent but…

There’s lot of advice for first time home buyers but not that much for second time. I am fairly sure my house will sell for more than I bought it for, we’ve done some improvements, it’s in a nice neighborhood, good schools and all that. So I want to use the money from this house for the down payment for the new one.

How am I supposed to do that? Also what do I do if the timelines don’t exactly match up? Last time it took two months for the closing and then the sellers asked for more time. And I may need the same.

Do I need to plan for a hotel in between?

Any advice is welcome. Also it’s been a long time, not sure anymore if this is the right forum. Thanks all.

First, Welcome back. Good to see you again.

I’m on house #3 and just went through the last move in November & December.

As to using the money from the first house towards the second, there are several ways to do this. One is basically a bridge loan, not the best but it works when other piece don’t. Another is take out a high mortgage for the new house and then when the money clears from the second you can use that money to pay down the principal on the new loan. This works pretty well but can take a few months to get completely resolved. Just make sure you’re on top of every step and the money does go to the principal. With this option you can potentially close on the new house before the old and it makes the logistics of moving a lot easier.

For the move, we moved our stuff out of the old place mostly into storage. (right before Thanksgiving). We then moved into our temporary place (my mom’s place in a retirement community that needed to be made ready for sale). Then when we finally got to close on the new place, our movers got our stuff from the storage location and moved us in over 2 days as this was right around New Years Day.

So yes, you’ll need to line up a place to stay and a storage facility most of the time. Somehow moving from house 1 to house 2 we did everything in the same day. If you can pull this off it is exhausting but in the end far cheaper and easier. I’m told this is now hard to do.

Sometime in 2022 the market will free back up. Sadly as many houses will be foreclosed on but also as there is a fair amount of new builds and rebuilds going on.

I’ll be back with more.

So we went through all kinds of hell this time, but so much of it was COVID related. Finding a house was tricky, getting used to the concept that houses were going for more than list. Watching the town we hoped to get into having a pricing surge like never seen before.

Then we had a good offer fall through thanks to an inspector screwing up and the buyers being first time buyers out of the city. Then we had a long slow negotiation from a second lesser offer. Again we got screwed. But as we found the house we really liked at a really reasonable price we accepted the negotiated offer.

We had issues with the closing though as their mortgage company was slow as heck and failed to make the closing date. So we moved out before Thanksgiving for no reason in the end. An extra 10 days in purgatory. What I called my Mom’s place.

Then even with the closing, the closing company kept making mistakes and it took 3 days for the money to finally get into our account. So I was getting very anxious to say the least.

I had everything lined up for the new home. Movers were all set. Utilities were all set. Oh that remind me, I ended up getting the electricity cut-off too early in the old home. Then had to scramble to get it back on as I was afraid of no heat = freezing pipes. Argh. Anyway, the closing on the house we were buying got held up and threw all my plans off. I had to scramble on a half dozens things. My move got disrupted. Suddenly getting Internet access got pushed out 2 weeks and that was only after 3 hours on 2 phone calls with Verizon. Needed Internet access as my wife was working from home thanks to the Pandemic.

Minor fun stuff, the house we bought was very solid and in good shape except for the bathrooms. Both were dreadful and needed almost immediate plumbing work. So we knew that on top of the purchase price, we would need to budget about $40,000 to get 2 bathrooms refinished. We also knew we needed a Dishwasher which was a little tougher due to pandemic shortages. All this went well but our new home was a construction site for about a month. Fun.

Noting much to add to the good advice above. Trying to get the closings aligned so you can move directly from one residence to the other is nice to have, but subject to lots of vagaries. If possible, don’t make the transactions financially contingent on one another. Which implies being able to swing the down payment on the new house before seeing a penny from the old one. maybe too tall an order.

But welcome back! You were missed. SDMB is smaller and slower than it was, but also a nicer place. I at least would like to have you look around and stay for awhile.

Some packing suggestions.
Start collecting boxes, you’ll need a lot of them. Collect packing material also. If you go through dressers and closets and have stuff for Goodwill or other clothing drops, use it first as packing material in boxes then donate it after you unpack.

If you have a lot of books, Beer case boxes from work great. I had a lot of Yuengling & Sam Adams boxes loaded with books.

If you have a lot of books, buy 12"x12"x12" boxes to pack them. The stack great and bigger boxes are back breakers when it comes to books.

I mainly stuck to 18"x14"x12" boxes for everything else and boxes I collected up.

Boxes I bought I got deals on Amazon for. Also rolls of bubble wrap. Great for the kitchen especially.

Mark all boxes well. Give a good idea of what is inside on at least 2 sides and the top. Also try to mark what room it should go to. Helps so much with the move.

On that note I also picked up 100 Shipping tags from Amazon. Manila tags with strings. I tied these onto most of the furniture and my bench tools to make it clear what room the object was suppose to go to. Huge help and only cost about $6.00

Have a moving plan. Hopefully the house you’re buying has a floorplan. If not draw it up and layout how your furniture is going to fit.

It was close but we went from a 2300sq’ house down to a 1600sq’ house and having the layout was huge for the move in day. You’re going bigger so less of an issue but still minimized heavy awkward stuff you need to move after the movers are gone.

It might be time to start getting rid of some stuff you don’t use or need. I donated most of my books over the last 7 years, but really stepped it up in prep for the move. But I also got rid of a lot of other stuff. Many trips to Goodwill and maximized what the garbage men would pick up for maybe 4 months.

Thank you all. If need be, I can absolutely swing the new downpayment without the payment from this house, but what I can’t sustain is two mortgages so the previous house HAS to sell! Ok we will start working on it.

I haven’t been through it personally, but what is by far the simplest approach is to buy your new house first. And then put your existing home on the market. This is of course not cheap, since for some period of time you’re paying two mortgages. However depending on the market, rental prices and personal family dynamics it can in fact be quite a bit cheaper than having to move your stuff twice, pay for storage and carry a short-term rental for an open ended amount of time.

One of the biggest advantages to this, apart from being able to avoid any temporary accommodations, is that you have the ability to make improvements to the new home before you move in. Often when buying a fixer upper this is essential but even when buying a newer home you’ll probably want to repaint and recarpet.

In a red-hot housing market this tactic becomes both more essential and more viable. First, if you really want to buy a forever home, you can’t afford to be a difficult buyer. You need to be ready to close fast and waiting for your old home to close, and heaven forbid having a contingent sale, is not a problem sellers will entertain. Second, in a scorching hot market the risk of carrying that second mortgage for more than a month is pretty low. Unless your current home is a real albatross, it’ll be gone fast too so 1 mortgage payment is a small price when compared to movers, storage and a short term rental.

I agree with all the advice given above, but my personal experience in selling and buying lots of houses in my time is a bit more optimistic regarding synchronizing the closing dates. But keep in mind that much of this experience is old and times may be quite different, and it was all in Ontario, Canada, where real estate practices may perhaps be different.

Most of the time we’ve arranged to have the sale closing and the purchase closing on the same day. With one exception it’s worked out well because well-organized movers can generally move out even the contents of a three-story house in half a day, so by the time they arrive at the new house it should be ready for occupancy. There’s always a risk, of course, since you’re counting on both ends of the transaction going smoothly, so it’s important to have contingency plans, such as opting for storage and staying in a hotel or with friends for a few days. But in our cases it’s almost always gone smoothly.

One exception doesn’t really count because it was deliberately planned. I was trying to buy a house in a very specific high-demand area where it was really hard to do. To give myself maximum flexibility, I opted to move a lot of my stuff into storage for a year and rent nearby while I conducted the search. That worked out well and several good possibilities turned up, one of which became my much-loved long-time home. The facts that I had total flexibility on closing dates, and no condition of selling an existing house, were really hepful.

The other exception involved a bit of drama. We arrived at the new place only to find that it was rented and the renters, for whatever reason, were still in it!

The option we took was to return to the old house and defer the closing. We then retained a lawyer who was recommended to us by our agent, who turned out to be fabulously aggressive and rained fire and brimstone on the sellers, collecting damages by the truckload. The new place closed a few days later, with the seller a good deal poorer than he had expected to be.

A much less dramatic case was the current house, where I pushed my buyer for as late a closing as possible and the seller as early as possible, but there was still a gap of about a week. I just sent most of my stuff to storage, stashed a few personal effects with friends, and went camping for a week.

But as I said, the vast majority of the time, it was possible – at least back then – to synchronize both closings to be on the same day. There’s always the age-old question of whether to sell first and risk being homeless, or buy first and risk having to finance a bridge loan for an indeterminate period of time. In the current lopsided seller’s market, it generally will make more sense to buy first. If you see houses going from “For Sale” to “Sold” in a very short time in your area, as is so common these days in a lot of places, you probably won’t even need that bridge loan. I myself have never needed one. It used to be very common practice when submitting an offer to make it contingent on the sale of the buyer’s existing house, but in today’s very competitive market that makes the offer a good deal less attractive.

I’m on my fourth house. The way it used to work is you made your offer contingent on selling the previous home so then everyone would work together to have the closing on the same day and your would sell your old house and then immediately turn around and buy your new house. With the nutzo housing market and people waving even inspection contingencies to get a home this may not be currently possible. Depending on life you can work out deals to move your stuff directly from one house to the other or if they are in vastly different areas your current hose if packed on monday and you close on Thursday and then move into your new house on Friday.

All of that is probably old and bad info I’m sorry to say. In most of my cases I’ve sold my previous home and had the movers put my stuff in storage and then purchased a new home. Mostly this has been because I was moving 1,000 plus miles on each move and I typically had 1-3 months of corporate housing waiting for me. Once the corporate housing ended and I had to stay at a buddy’s house for a month because a home fell through just prior to closing so then I had to find a new home and go through the process and I ran out of free housing. A lot of the short term stay places are very expensive so I would avoid them if you can.

My daughter and SIL recently bought a house. I offered suggestions on packing, offered to save boxes, etc. She told me they were doing the move the lazy way. They hired people who came to their house, looked around, then gave them a quote to move everything from house 1 to house 2.

The company boxed everything, labeled each box with room name, moved all the boxes and placed them in the room corresponding to the old house. The kids then unpacked the boxes. A week after the move the company came and collected all the boxes.

I’ve done that exactly once. What amazed me is how efficient packers are when they are absolutely and totally not invested in your possessions.

They don’t call out to each other, across the room, and gush, “Honey ? Do you remember when we bought this ??”

They’re just machines. In our case, everything was treated, wrapped, and packaged beautifully, and amazingly quickly, and the boxed stuff saw zero damage.

But in terms of moves … even with professionals … your furniture isn’t likely to be better off with repeated moves. Generally, less handling is better, so – where possible – move your stuff just once, from the old house to the new house. I’d avoid interim storage options if at all possible.

Good luck !

The unpacking bit is a key point. The only time I’ve ever experienced full-service movers with packing services was a company-financed inter-city move. In theory that included unpacking at the other end, but there were so many decisions to be made about every little thing that it was easier just to do it ourselves at a leisurely pace. But it’s definitely handy to have everything professionally packed.

So, we’re in almost the exact same position as the OP . . . first bought 5 years ago, and are now looking to move into something that will hopefully be our “forever” home.

Here is a copy/paste (minus any identifying identifying info) of how our realtor explained our options with regards to managing the buying and selling. Option 1 might not be relevant to your situation, but 2a, 2b, and 2c will certainly be. Also, this is all based on the situation here in Vermont, which might not be identical to where you are:

My brother’s employer paid for his move when he returned to the US from Mannheim, Germany. Turns out the Germans have a thing for efficiency. The movers placed a ramp from the apartment to the street, and slid all the boxes down to the container.

A few weeks later the container showed up at his new home with not a single item broken.

I’ll relate my relatively recent experience.

It was a seller’s market, so I waited until we were under agreement on the new home to list the old home. I had done all the leg work, but didn’t let the realtor flip the switch until I was ready. This was the absolute right move, but I didn’t need proceeds from house A to buy house B, and I knew I could swing both mortgages for a bit if needed.

As it worked out, I had both houses for one month and that was perfect. Made things much less stressful, and I never got tired of asking my wife which residence shall we sleep in tonight (the two were less than an hour apart)

I packed myself. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I had no idea how much shit I had stuffed into that house in 20 years. As I got more stressed, it turned into what my wife (not happily) refers to as The Great Purge. That said, I haven’t missed anything that was purged, so I refuse to apologize.

I used a Pod. Had it delivered to the old house, filled it at my pace, and had it delivered to the new house. Even if using a mover, I’d do that again, absolutely. Worked great

First, welcome back!

We moved from NJ to California. If it is a seller’s market in your area, it might pay to not put your house on the market until you get close to getting a new one. Make sure you don’t allow your buyer an contingencies, which will make the sale go faster.
Moving the money around was no issue for us. In California mortgage brokers to everything, and they handled the details.
PODs didn’t exist when we moved but we have used them to move my fil’s furniture and to store our stuff when we were getting our house redone. You get to keep them for a while, for not that much money, and you can load them at your leisure. They will store them for you until your new house is ready. A lot cheaper than getting packers and movers. U-Haul offers one also. A lot of people moving around here use them.
We stayed in a long term residency hotel while waiting for our new house to be ready, paid for by new job. The kids got their own room and we could cook, a big plus. Much better than a motel.
When we moved we could schedule the closings so there wasn’t much of a gap, but that might not be possible any more. Our buyers were being a bit of a pain, and the people we bought some trusted us to move in early and pay rent, more or less. But the house had been on the market for months and they were so happy to sell it, no problem, and we didn’t cause them any issues.
It’s much easier if you move in the same town. We moved from a rental house a house we bought that way, and no issues at all.

Ack, it will all drive one to drink. A few things:

I definitely understand the market is not a good one for buyers right now. Thankfully we are in a good place at the moment and I don’t feel an insane urge to get out of this house. We’ve done a fair bit of work on it - it is an older house - so we can def stay here a few years.
We really want to buy our “forever” home this time. My aunts made a ton of money by buying and selling, buying and selling, but that seems SO stressful to me, and while i have moved a TON of times in my life, I never really liked it much.
I had a good chunk of money saved up when I bought this house. Obvs it is in the house now! I live in Upstate NY, so the closing costs are insanely high. I had enough to put down 10% of the house but ended up only doing 5%, the rest went to closing costs. Not sure how people in lower income brackets even afford houses. :frowning:

I thank you all. It took me a long time to get into home ownership in the first place because I wouldn’t be pressured and wanted to do it right. I wanted to have not only a huge chunk of change for the down payment but also a separate fund to pay for home improvements, repairs, etc. And as this is an older house (1950s) we did find some!

On the other hand, we did some fantastic things to this house. I am still proud that we ripped out a carpet and put in a floor. I made a floor! I was so proud.

I really appreciate all of the personal insight and advice I am getting.

I have no advice, but we’ve fantasized about buying a second home at some point (prices are so bananas that we can’t figure out how we could swing it unless we decide to move like an hour away from town), so the thread is useful for that. And also, it’s a delight to see you back, @Anaamika!

Welcome back, Anaamika!

This is something I have to start thinking about, too. I guesstimate I and Mr. brown will be ready to retire in a year or two, and then we will move two states away. At the moment, our bay area home is worth a buttload more than we paid for it, and we’ll be able to buy a decent home in the new state outright with some money left over. This is all good, but I’m dreading the timing.

The best thing I can think of is to stay in this home until it sells, then pack everything up and put it in storage and we move into some furnished housing for a month or two until we can find a home in the new area. I know that’d be kind of spendy, but it’s the least stressful solution I can come up with. Maybe realtors have some kind of solution when it comes to temporary housing for a buyer.

The last time we moved we did the contingency thing, but that was twenty-two years ago and it was a royal pain.

I know this is probably obvious, but since you’d both be a buyer and seller in this situation the current market probably shouldn’t influence you much in either direction. Being able to sell your current house fast and at a premium might actually make this entire situation easier than it would be in a comparatively slow market.

When people talk about a “hot” real estate market they sometimes overlook the fact that this isn’t a uniform trend. In most cases one neighborhood can be scorching hot with next to no inventory, but the another neighborhood or town may have a modest surplus of inventory making it less pressure packed. Do some research and if your current location happens to have less inventory then your desired target location now might be the ideal opportunity, and one you may regret passing up.