Advice on Ubuntu

[QUOTE=Priceguy]
I recently received my free Ubuntu CD (by the way, **could someone explain the business model of an organization that mails out unlimited free CDs **and seemingly has no revenue streams?) for installing on my new computer. However, I have quite a few Windows applications that I need and will keep needing, but I’ve heard WINE works fine, so I’m going to try that.

If it doesn’t, I’ll have to double-boot to Windows. Last time I did that I was using Red Hat and the only way to get it to work was to install Windows first and then Red Hat on top of it. Is that still the case? If I may want to be able to double-boot to Windows, do I have to make that decision before installing Ubuntu?
[/QUOTE]

It is explained on the website but basically they charge for corporate support.
They don’t actually make a profit (yet) everything comes out of the owners pocket.

I would opt for the dual-booting and yes, Windows has to be installed first.
Just watch out on the install process that it doesn’t chuck Windows away completely.

[QUOTE=Myglaren]
“Ubuntu”
[/QUOTE]

<<glares at Myglaren>>

Hmmmmm…okay, as in “ooboontoo”, or do you pronounce the “u” as in “cup”?

[QUOTE=Mellivora capensis]
Just out of curiosity, how do you furriners pronounce “Ubuntu”?
[/QUOTE]

From: Open source support with enterprise-grade SLAs | Ubuntu

Dang, Mangetout, I swear you weren’t there on preview.

:smiley:

But yeah, that’s correct, “oo-BOON-too” it is.

It’s like the way we South Africans pronounce “Moleskine”. We hicks say “mole-skin”, when it should be "moll-uh-skeen-uh’, or sumtin’ like that.

[QUOTE=Myglaren]
It is explained on the website but basically they charge for corporate support.
They don’t actually make a profit (yet) everything comes out of the owners pocket.
[/QUOTE]
And in reality, the owner pretty much doesn’t care if he makes a profit or not. The guy who’s funding Ubuntu is the guy who was the first space tourist, so if he can afford to cough up $20 million to spend a week in space. . .

[QUOTE=Mellivora capensis]
<<glares at Myglaren>>

Hmmmmm…okay, as in “ooboontoo”, or do you pronounce the “u” as in “cup”?
[/QUOTE]

Yes.

(‘u’ as in cup, that is) final u as more of an ooo though. Don’t ask why. No logic has been applied, it just seemed right that way so it probably isn’t.

[QUOTE=GorillaMan]
You mean boot straight into the installer, or boot into Gnome, with the option to then install (which is the ‘easy installer’)? The two need different CDs, the latter being the ‘desktop’ CD.
[/QUOTE]

I believe I downloaded the “desktop” version. Either way, I couldn’t find the instructions for booting.

Correction to my previous post: I previously fooled with LinuxPPC, not YellowDog.

[QUOTE=Phase42]
I believe I downloaded the “desktop” version. Either way, I couldn’t find the instructions for booting.
[/QUOTE]

There should be an ‘Install’ icon - see here

Joining late as always… Ubuntu is the easiest install I have ever done and updates are a breeze. I’m hoping to aquire a couple of old dell laptops when out IT dept cleans house and has another auction. With Ubuntu those will be perfect for the kids to get introduced to linux, I just hand them the laptop with a blank HD and the CD and let them experience the beauty of it all.

[QUOTE=GorillaMan]
There should be an ‘Install’ icon - see here
[/QUOTE]

Cool, but … my problem is that I can’t find the instructions on how to boot from the CD, which I have to do before I can get to the desktop whereon that Installer resides.

There are several versions of the CD; It used to be the case that there were separate ‘live CD’ and ‘Install CD’ versions, but now the main download is sort of rolled into one.

I’ve had trouble with the live+install CD on some machines - I’ve got a machine on my desk right now that I’m setting up with Ubuntu; it’s only a Pentium II 400 with not a huge pile of memory; the live CD barely works at all on it - unbelivably slow and unresponsive - to the extent that I can’t even open the ‘install’ icon.
This might seem like an indication that a hard drive installation would run poorly on the machine, but I downloaded the other CD - the ‘alternative install’ version, ran a text-only install (which isn’t frightening at all - it’s still menu-based) and it works just fine; the performance of a hard-drive installation of Ubuntu on this old machine is really quite impressive.

[QUOTE=Phase42]
Cool, but … my problem is that I can’t find the instructions on how to boot from the CD, which I have to do before I can get to the desktop whereon that Installer resides.
[/QUOTE]

So what happens when you start the system with the CD in? On my PC, I get a menu, with the default option to start/install Ubuntu.

Sound like the bios isn’t set to boot from cd

[QUOTE=Mangetout]
There are several versions of the CD; It used to be the case that there were separate ‘live CD’ and ‘Install CD’ versions, but now the main download is sort of rolled into one.

I’ve had trouble with the live+install CD on some machines - I’ve got a machine on my desk right now that I’m setting up with Ubuntu; it’s only a Pentium II 400 with not a huge pile of memory; the live CD barely works at all on it - unbelivably slow and unresponsive - to the extent that I can’t even open the ‘install’ icon.
This might seem like an indication that a hard drive installation would run poorly on the machine, but I downloaded the other CD - the ‘alternative install’ version, ran a text-only install (which isn’t frightening at all - it’s still menu-based) and it works just fine; the performance of a hard-drive installation of Ubuntu on this old machine is really quite impressive.
[/QUOTE]

I was given a HP (I think) P200 a few weeks ago, I think I’l try it on that, see how it goes.

[QUOTE=Phase42]
Cool, but … my problem is that I can’t find the instructions on how to boot from the CD, which I have to do before I can get to the desktop whereon that Installer resides.
[/QUOTE]

Have you tried holding down “C” on powerup (which is the Mac Boot from CD option)?

[QUOTE=pulykamell]
Have you tried holding down “C” on powerup (which is the Mac Boot from CD option)?
[/QUOTE]

Yup. Maybe I need bootp or something like that? Something to tell my Mac I want it to boot into a non-Apple OS?

[QUOTE=Myglaren]
I was given a HP (I think) P200 a few weeks ago, I think I’l try it on that, see how it goes.
[/QUOTE]
The experience is a bit like Win98 on a good day - in terms of response only - I’m certain that in terms of robustness and security etc, there is no comparison. Unless the machine has a lot of RAM though, I’ll be surprised if you can install from the live CD - I think you’ll need the alternative CD and will have to do a text install.