Advice requested on buying a new car

I hope this is the right forum …

I have a 2013 cmax energi. I love it. Except that it’s sort of a lemon. We’ve had a couple of incidents when it wouldn’t start (and you can’t even open the rear door in that case, since it’s all electronic) and needed a jump start. A cable - to - battery connection has since been tightened. Yesterday, I had to take it to the dealer to be rebooted since the sound system wouldn’t work. Twice, I couldn’t get it to back up. It’s still on warranty, but only barely.

I’m tempted to replace it with a new one. It was an early edition of the first model year. Surely they got better at making them? That’s an expensive thing to do, though, and I suppose I could just send up with a different set of bugs. I’ve never had a newish car with this sort of problem, and don’t know whether it’s because Ford is just less reliable than Honda, or because this particular car is a lemon.

What sayeth the combined wisdom of the board?

I’ve got to say, you’re showing a lot more love for a model than I would in your situation. A 2013, and its broken down three times already? And a reboot because the sound system wouldn’t work? I have much higher expectations for newer cars (and 2013 is very new). I expect them to be super reliable for a long time. I’m not sure I’d touch another Ford with a ten foot pole if I had your experience. Maybe you’re an outlier and almost no-one has the same issues you’re having. But for me, my emotions would probably get the better of me and I’d loath the Ford motor company with every fiber of my being.

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results… I’d try a different car.

Well, there’s also the issue that my husband really wants a plug-in car, and there aren’t a lot of choices in that space. And this car is surprisingly fun to drive. (when it is on the battery) It turns out that electric cars are super responsive.

Tech Service Bulletins (TSB) 15-0089 and 14-0173 were issued to address complaints of the 12 volt battery going flat. Have repairs for those TSBs been done? It involves updating the firmware for a number of modules as well as inspecting certain parts of the wiring harness for chafes/rub throughs.

The conventional wisdom is that generally buggy first model-year cars are pretty rare with the modern car design process, and the proverbial “last car built on Friday” lemons are mostly mythical. So, I don’t really know if you have much to gain from jumping up to a newer example of the same car. (Although, yeah, we all know stories of nightmare cars even if they really are just statistic aberrations or the result of ham-fisted dealer service departments.)

Loathe as I am to say it, getting an aftermarket extended warranty might be a cheaper way to get some peace of mind than a new car. Just make sure you get one from a reputable company, although “reputable extended warranty provider” is a bit oxymoronic.

that’s no longer true, what with the amount of software/firmware throughout the car. The last PHEV I did a bus scan on (a ‘15 Fusion Energi) had 36 frickin’ ECUs in it.

MY16 software is probably likely to have had many more bugs found and squashed. a 12V battery drain issue on a new(-ish) car is likely to be software related; e.g. one or more modules not going to sleep when they should. And if it is software/firmware related, then an older model of the same vehicle should be able to be re-flashed.

And most of my problems have been software related. Although you’d think that would be fixable.

again, do you know if any of the TSB fixes were done? I can look up the service history with the VIN, if you’re interested. PM if you don’t want to post it out in the open.

I don’t know. But I will PM you the VIN. Thanks.

I guess in a way we’re friends via the message board? I’ll have to check policy, but some of us have ways to sweeten the deal to Friends and Neighbors and such, if you were willing to take another Ford.

I’ve mentioned on this board a few times that my father has a C-Max Energi. He and my step-mom love it, and they’ve had zero issues to-date. Even six-sigma allows a tiny, little percentage of lemons to make it out to the public (yes, even for Honda and Toyota).

PM me if you’re a Friend or Neighbor.

My husband was willing to let me replace, it, but decidedly unenthusiastic. We decided to buy the extended warranty instead. It has a $100 deductible, but hopefully this means they will deal with it the next time it fails to start or something.

One thing to also keep in mind…

Check the Lemon Laws in your state. If you have had the same problem with your car, have taken it in to be serviced, and that same part fails again, (I think many states have a 3rd time’s the charm law), you can sue Ford under the “Lemon Law”.

What you get can vary, but believe it or not, if you have a valid case, you CAN get a brand new car, and it won’t cost you a dime (well, you will get credit on a new car that matches what you paid for your current car, so any options you might add to the new car may change the price and you will most likely have to pay for that). Find a lawyer in your state that specializes in the lemon law. They will evaluate your case for free, and if they agree to take you on as a client, they will not charge you any fees. They will sue on your behalf, and enter into negotiations with the manufacturer.

The manufacturer will most likely offer you a cash settlement right before the court date. If you decline, they will either see you in court, up their cash offer, or give you a new car.

The lemon law attorney will explain your options, but if they think you have a case and take you as a client, odds are pretty good that you will get something out of it.

You may just have a lemon. That doesn’t mean every car Ford has ever produced stinks. It just means your particular car, for whatever reason, isn’t operating as designed and cannot be fixed. It happens to every manufacturer, and the laws exist to protect the consumer.

I have had my Hyundai coupe for 10 years next March and no problems, drive down through the French Alps to the Med with no problems.

good for you?

Sorry not enough information. I live in England and it is only 20 miles by car ferry to France so the road trip I mentioned is not really a big deal about the same as a road trip in America. The reason I used the journey as an example is that it is 3 days of mixed driving, 80 mph duel carriageway, town/city driving and narrow mountain roads with more bends than you can shake a fist at, a good test for a 9 year old car especially with my wife’s entire wardrobe and shoe collection in the boot (trunk). I have had the car from new and never a problem just normal servicing If the children were still living at home I would conceder a Hyundai 4x4 with the same 2.7 V6 petrol engine as I have in the coupe. At home the car parks on the street and is in general use, shopping, church and visiting family. In the U.K. the brand carries a 5 year warranty and is worth a consideration as they are available in America. one tip dump the Hyundai air filter panel and replace with KN panel better MPG and perfomance

I think what jz78817 was implying was that your experience with your Hyundai seems to have little connection or bearing to the original post or subsequent conversation.

“I have a (insert car brand/model here) and it has been super reliable” isn’t really apples-to-apples with the thread content when it seems like the OP’s issues are with the high tech nature of an new technology hybrid/electric car.

OOps sorry my mistake hopefully my post will help someone else