AFAR 300 sunglasses

Hi,
I bought a pair of, what I think are, sunglasses. They have AFAR 300 on them, and contain some sort of circuit board with button cells. I have found something like them on the net, but nothing quite like these, and very little information on any. The circuits are badly corroded and the glasses don’t do, whatever they were intend to do when made. The link, below, will take you to a couple of pictures.

Does anyone know anything about them?
Thanks,
… john

No idea what you are talking about. Searching on “AFAR 300” gives no useful info, and I don’t feel like downloading images. So could you find a way to link to the image directly or provide more info?

Hi TriPolar,
I couldn’t see any way of attaching the images to my post. Is there something I’m missing?
Thanks,
… john

“What’s your problem?”

Stranger

You can’t attach anything in your post, but you can link directly to a displayed image (such as on Imgur, like I did in this post) instead of a site where we have to download it to our hard drive first to be able to see it. In fact, the site you linked to even says

So, it’s warning us not to download your files…

Your glasses look like they have a little camera built into them. Obviously not well made if everything is corroded.

Did you expect to get anything more than just an ordinary pair of sunglasses?

Ah. OK. Next time I will use a site that doesn’t require downloading.
I thought this would be OK.
I was really just interested in knowing what they might be.
… john

They look like cheap novelty glasses to me.
Maybe the LEDs are headlights, or just for decoration.

Could the LEDs be infrared, and meant to mask the wearer from facial recognition cameras/software?

Indeed they are. I only paid $0.99. But I’ve never seen anything like them before, and was curious.
… john

Yes. I guess that could be. I’m toying with rewiring it, but that would mean bypassing the corroded printed circuits, maybe five of them. However, even the contact points that the button cells touch are pretty much gone, being very thin prints, so I was hoping someone might recognize them, and help me to decide if it’s worth doing.
Thanks,
… john

Hi,
No, I don’t even want them for that. They’re just a curiosity.
I’ve never seen anything like them before.
At first I thought they might be from sort of game, but I have no idea.
… john

That’s neat!
… john

You are all wrong - they are the glasses that used to be advertised on the back page of certain comics:

So, you think that they’re infra-red sensitive; or just some sort of gimmick that does nothing?
… john

I think that the “x-ray specs” sold in the back of comics books were actually diffraction gratings. I’m not sure how they get from “makes everything look rainbowy” to “your hand looks like bones”, but hey, what do you expect for a couple of bucks plus shipping and handling?

The X-Ray specs would give you a sort of double image slightly offset, so if you looked at your hand the overlapping area of the images would look like finger bones inside the wider non-overlapping areas. I tried my friends specs once and was seriously less than impressed.

Yes, for sure.
… john

Well, I guess we’ve spent a lot more time on this than it warrants.
I don’t think I’m going to try rewiring them. From what I’m hearing here
they’re some sort of gimmick. I’ll likely dismantle them and see what turns up.
If I find anything interesting I’ll report back.
Thank you all for your help. I appreciate it.
… john