"African Americans"

Nanobyte wrote:

===========================================
Thinking of the Caucasus as in Asia, and assuming there to be some justification in naming and associating Caucasians with that region, it appeared to me that this statement of mine was, in a more restricted way, parallel to yours, i.e., as to pointing up ambiguity in a racial categorization.

===========================================

There is, in fact, no justification in naming and associating Indo-Europeans with the Caucus region. Steven Jay Gould covered this in one of his essays. IIRC, an early 20th-C anthropologist, dividing the species into races (one of many folks to do so), came up with the term. His “reasoning” had to do with his contention that natives of the Caucuses are the most “beautiful” tribes of the race (I forget how beauty was defined – probably a mathematical relationship between chin protrudance and slope of brow – and I’m only partly kidding!), and he then went on to theorize that other Euro-Indopeans “degenerated” from that ancestral stock. Wacky as it all sounds, I believe Gould made the case that the guy was a fairly liberal dude, for his times.

(This same guy – I’ll try to look up the name next week – also called Orientals/Asians “Mongoloids,” a terminology which fell out of favor in the '60s/'70s after it became associated with Down’s syndrome. And that association was based on another system of racial classification… )

Beruang:

“The Caucus region” – oh, yeah, that’s composed of those political places like Washington and Sacramento, isn’t it? :wink: Lotsa honkies there.

I found it this week:
http://depts.washington.edu/chid/chid110/syl1998/misc1.html

Johann Friedrich Blumenbach 1752-1840, German anatomist and naturalist, “On the Natural Variety of Mankind 1776”. He was a student of Carolus Linnaeus, the Swedish botanist who initiated the formal classification of all living things.

Quoting the discussion at this site:

"In search of human origins, Blumenbach described a female skull found near Mt. Caucasus as:

"In search of human origins, Blumenbach described a female skull found near Mt. Caucasus as:

‘…the most beautiful form of the skull,. . .’

So maybe he was a necrophiliac? :wink: Blumenbach continues:

‘Besides, it is white in color, which we may fairly assume to have been the primitive color of mankind, since … it is very easy for that to degenerate into brown, but very much more difficult for dark to become white.’

Hey, wait, lemme check. I’m white on the outside, but maybe my skeleton’s brown. . .probably recycled material. :wink:

Dr. B claimed Caucasians (descendents of those who left skulls near Mt. Caucasus) were the most beautiful, but claimed other races were just as moral and intellectually astute as Caucasians. He also claimed the degeneration of beauty proceeded, in 2 directions, sequentially through 2 steps/races:

. . . . . . . . . Caucasian(W)
. . . . . . . . . ./ . . .
. . . . . . . .Malay(Bn) American(R)
. . . . . . . . ./ . . . . .
. . . . . Ethiopian(Bk). . Mongolian(Y)

Hey, what could be more beautif’ler than that?

So the directions of evolution are are messed up and the hierarchy and sequences are baloney, but, admitting that the territory is semi-amorphous, those 5, under different names, are more or less the way the world views racial differences. . .in the absence of silly political correctness or other political distortions. I believe I was presented in school, in the '30s - '50s, with (no hierarchy or order):

[common]. .[anthropological]

white . . . . .caucasoid
yellow. . . . .mongoloid
black . . . . .negroid
red . . . . . .amerind
brown . . . . .melanoid?

The brown, however, apparently doesn’t follow any genetic lines. Caucasoid includes also dark South Asians. My idea of what distinguishes some kind of “Caucasoid” identity is not color, but an evolutionary experiment with the nose (as ‘honky’ would imply). Setting aside considerations as to whether a Caucasian beak is “beautiful” (I suspect Blumenbach wouldn’t have allowed the more extreme, say, Afghan version of this type of nose as beautiful, but then skulls don’t do justice to the nose all that much) – the development of this facial feature did center, at least, in the more general Southwest Asian area initially.

Of course, today, one might look to genomic data on which to base notions of race. The same page claims there is greater genetic variation within a race than between races (dunno what it counts as race). This page says, in outline form (but I’m not sure how to decipher it):

2 per cent between individuals

• 85 percent difference in any local group

• 9 percent difference between ethnic groups by race: example, between Italians & French

• 6 percent difference between races: example
    between Europeans and Asians

But then you can read elsewhere the difference between Homo sapiens and chimpanzees is only 3%. I once posed the question to a Usenet group related to genetic s, as to what actual feature of DNA they were relating this percentage measure to, and the answer I got was on parameter that wasn’t meaningful at all, in terms of what people think of in respect to differences in species or differences in varieties/strains/races.

Here is a Website on which is the content of a graduate thesis related to the question in the OP of this thread:
http://william.stmarys-ca.edu/cynaut/lise/

Ray (Race? What’s the hurry?)
http://william.stmarys-ca.edu/cynaut/lise/paper.html

Wow, this thread is really good. A lot of good topics here.

This is to clarify a few things from my post last week and possibly add a comment or two. I am on cold medication so I am not going to try to go back through and respond carefully to every comment.

I am merely annoyed by the transistion from “oriental” to “asian”. The person (a cambodian female) who most emphatically expressed her objection to “oriental” said to me, “Rugs are oriental. People are asian.” This did not persuade me but the lady’s obvious objection did (while annoying me at the same time).

It annoys me when perfectly normal words take on negative connotations because then you have to search for another word, which may not be as clear. One that I have lost track of is “mongoloid” which last I heard had been dropped in favor of “a person with Downs Syndrome” or something like that. Please forgive me if I’m wrong on this I mean no offense.

My preference to the word “colored” is the positive connotations that word has for me aside from any identification to a race. I think that a problem with “white” and “black” is their literary connection to “good” and “evil”. I do not think that “colored” is more appropriate for one race or another. I only say that, if my race were called that, I’d be happy about it. Obviously, if the negative connotations became too strong, as for blacks in the 50’s, I’d have to give it up.

Here’s my additional comment. If I found that the term for my race had become offensive, I would want to choose a new term very carefully. Though I’m not sure who originally started the “African American” term, Jesse Jackson seems to be the one keeping it from obscurity. He thinks that the term encourages blacks to be proud of their roots and of themselves. Whether effective or not, at least it’s been thought out. “Asian” does not appear to be thought out. Perhaps someone intentionally chose a very neutral word. If I were choosing, I would go for something more positive. Is there nowhere in the rich poetry of the east a word meaning “Beautiful People” that would be pronounceable by westerners? Or “strong people” or “powerful people” or even “civilized people”? (I mention the pronunciation thing because we Americans rudely expect everyone to speak our language and somehow get away with it. Guilty as charged, but I don’t know how to do anything about it except on a personal level.)

If men had wings,
and bore black feathers,
few of them would be clever enough to be crows.

• Rev. Henry Ward Beecher

A little of topic, but brought to mind by VileOrb-

In Chinese, beautiful country is “Meiguo.” People from “the beautiful country” would be “Meiguoren.” Unfortunately, the Chinese for some reason gave the name “Meiguo” the the US; meiguoren means American. That depresses me a little, since the name they use for themselves, “Zhongguoren”, just means “people of the middle country.”

-John

Yue Han: According to my Eastern Civilizations class, “The Middle Country” is a very old and cherished term for China, at least among the Chinese.

VileOrb: Jessie Jackson is generally credited/blamed with coining the term “African American.” This probably explains why he does his best to keep the wotd in current usage.

“I had a feeling that in Hell there would be mushrooms.” -The Secret of Monkey Island

Yue Han: According to my Eastern Civilizations class, “The Middle Country” is a very old and cherished term for China, at least among the Chinese.

VileOrb: Jessie Jackson is generally credited/blamed with coining the term “African American.” This probably explains why he does his best to keep the word in current usage.

“I had a feeling that in Hell there would be mushrooms.” -The Secret of Monkey Island

Double post. Damn :o

Sycorax, to call what happened in Rwanda “civil war” is like saying that the Holocaust was an ethnic conflict between Germans and Jews.

I don’t know what your criteria for involvement overseas are, but if there is any point at all in having any international force, if there is ever any ground for using cooperative military power to intervene in a situation, Rwanda was it. If ever, since the Holocaust, there has been a need for the people of the world to act with common humanity, with courage and conviction in the defence of humankind against barbarism and slaughter, the Rwandan genocide was it.

The UN troops on the ground thought so. General Romeo Dallaire thought so, and begged for a few hundred UN troops. The Belgian peacekeepers who shredded their casques bleus on the Kigali runway thought so, too, when they destroyed the symbol of the UN forces they served out of anguish and frustration because they knew what was going to happen; they knew that whatever promise and hope the UN ever held, it was being betrayed and that many would die as a result. They were right.

Not that it’s all America’s fault, per se. America refused to do anything to help, it’s true, and refused even to expedite the shipment of a few armoured cars to the UN forces until they were paid for (and people say that Americans don’t have any sense of irony). France is largely at fault for its counterproductive adventurism and its long-standing support of the Habyarimana’s regime. Belgium, too. But America has the muscle & the money & the wherewithal to do this sort of thing far more than other countries.

Have a read of Fergal Keane’s “Season of Blood” or Philip Gourevitch’s “We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families”.

Keane: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0140247602

Gourevitch: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0312243359

ben

Nanobyte: “…acorn-headed…” - I usually just say “pointy-headed.” I still haven’t figured out why people laugh. But if you can translate Ebonics, there may be a consultant job for you with HUD.

Sycorax: “Another label I don’t like - Native American to designate the American Indian.” I understand your logic, but by that or almost any other standard “Indian” is clearly way out. (That was ALWAYS a mistake.) I suppose Aboriginal-American would fit with a current way of naming “native peoples,” but maybe it would be better to say Cherokee, Hopi, Seminole, etc.?

“…how far do we go in expending our (and other countries’) troops and other resources to help other countries. Not to mention,we can’t just unilaterally decide to go in and save them from themselves.” My understanding is that we (the USA), the Soviet Union, and the previous colonial powers set the stage for the whole Rwandan genocide. The previous colonials entrenched within the social institutions an official, discriminatory prejudice towards the two main cultural groups (writ large, one was the “good,” educable group of heathens, the other the “bad,” unmanageable bush heathens), and from this flowed injustice, inequal economic and political opportunity, etc. The Soviet Union and ourselves, goes my understanding, then armed these groups to the teeth (as part of our power “struggles” in Africa) just as the colonial system was dissolving. Is it all our (the citizens of the USA) fault? No. Do we bear some responsibility? Yes. What should we do/should we have done? I imagine that question - or variants of it - will continue to haunt our descendants long after we all have passed.

Ray, again: “But then you can read elsewhere the difference between Homo sapiens and chimpanzees is only 3%. I once posed the question to a Usenet group related to genetic s, as to what actual feature of DNA they were relating this percentage measure to…” Of course I don’t know what any of the various writers and respondents meant, but why should that stop me from guessing?

Remember that within a species, I believe it is common to think of a given local gene pool in terms of a ‘frequency profile’ of the genes - that is, how often a particular genotype (or gene variant) appears across the members of the pool, measured for every gene. (Think of, say, blood types.) From the overall perspective of every possible variant of every gene in the H. Sapiens sapiens genome, “race” has little meaning. It’s sort of like drawing Venn diagrams (those overlapping circles) for every gene for each “pool” and then trying to sort out meaningful correlations to come up with “super-pools.” That is, okay, sure we can divide the species into these groups according to melanin levels or presence/absence of epicanthic folding, but when we look at mitochondrial DNA or fat cell percentages or immune system complexes (ad nauseum), the overall population breaks down into these statistically-significant groupings, which is completely different from the earlier division. Thus, “race” is an archaic and nearly meaningless criterion based mostly on appearance rather than on any medically-important or “scientific” basis. (To put it simply, is a Sri Lankan “Caucasian” because of her nose or “Negroid” because of her skin - both of which involve appearance - and understand it gets MUCH more complicated at the cellular level.)

Concerning all that, then, my third-best advice is: give up the old groupings, because they mean next to nothing. Second-best advice: if one means to divide people according to cultural standards, do so and don’t try to call it anything else. Best advice: refrain from attaching emotional meaning to one’s working definitions.
NOW, all that being said, I would guess that the within-species differences mentioned above are measured against the range of human possibility. (Returning to the Venn diagram example, they refer to differences within the circle labelled “humans.”) I guess, from your example above - WAG ALERT - the ‘French and Italian gene frequencies’ “are” statistically indistinguishable in 91% of the genes at which we could measure variation, and are somewhat distinguishable at 9%.

By contrast, going across species lines involves comparing distinct genomes, with different numbers of genes AND CHROMOSOMES, with genes that do something in one species but don’t appear at all in another, etc. The 3% difference between chimps and humans would indicate to me that 97% of our genes appear in each species and do the same thing, though not necessarily with the exact same range of versions of the gene, while in each case 3% of the genes appearing simply don’t exist in the other species.

How to read some of those other numbers I dunno, but I hope the principle would be similar.

Yue Han (it’s also John, right?): I was told that Mei Guo was chosen 'cause it sounded a bit like America ('Mare’ca = May Gwo, I guess). Originally, of course, it was just Old Gold Mountain (now relegated to San Francisco) because of the Gold Rush. But I’m sure the term Zhongguoren was not meant to be depressing - the connotation to ‘People of the Center’ was that the Chinese were civilized, the source of all learning and culture, while all others were “outlanders” (Waiguoren).

VileOrb:

The person (a cambodian female) who most emphatically expressed her objection to “oriental” said to me, “Rugs are oriental. People are asian.”

Rugs may be oriental and people may be oriental; but, of the two, only people can be programmed. :wink: This goes for both majorities and minorities, or both the dominant and the subordinate. Now, computers. . .well, they can be more easily reprogrammed or programmed to function according to the particular task.

It annoys me when perfectly normal words take on negative connotations because then you have to search for another word, which may not be as clear.

Well, even if such a word gets used differently, whether in a negative sense or not, there’s still the resultant problem of finding a new or different one for the original meaning you used it for. I guess ‘gay’, in its original meaning, wasn’t too bad a loss, since it wasn’t used all the much commonly for its original meaning. (I never really figured out why I’m supposed to say ‘gay and lesbian’ though. Doesn’t ‘gay’ suffice for those otherwise assigned to either sex?)

One that I have lost track of is “mongoloid” which last I heard had been dropped in favor of “a person with Downs Syndrome” or something like that.

Well, since I don’t hear this term used much these days for a person with Down’s disease, I’m thinking it may be OK to use it in discrete contexts, where it’s clear that no one is trying to make any tie-ins by using it. (It’s one more demerit for MDs that this term ever got started or perpetuated as denoting disease (not too say that Han Chinese necessarily appreciate the term).)

My preference to the word “colored” is the positive connotations that word has for me aside from any identification to a race. I think that a problem with “white” and “black” is their literary connection to “good” and “evil”. I do not think that “colored” is more appropriate for one race or another.

So. . .as long as the connotations are positive the word is OK. . .even though it distinguish anything. . .and therefore serves no purpose. Yes, none of us are polar bears. :wink:

*“Asian” does not appear to be thought out.

I don’t know **how[/b it sneaked in there, as a substitute for oriental as referring to “mongoloid” peoples, during the last couple decades. (The China lobby in Washington? :wink: )

Perhaps someone intentionally chose a very neutral word.

The problem, though, is not its neutrality, but rather its scope. Did those switching terms here – minorities (?), US federal govt. (?) – really intend to include South Asians, Central Asians and Near Easterners in a common term? I never know what the racial/ethnic, mostly official use of the term is supposed to mean – and sometimes it apparently is allowed to include “Pacific Islanders”, presumably only of more-or-less aboriginal ancestry. . .except maybe Australian “Aborigines”, because their island is big enough to get called a continent (which is unfair to disorganized minorities). :wink: (Well, not a big immigrational problem in the US. :wink: )

If I were choosing, I would go for something more positive. Is there nowhere in the rich poetry of the east a word meaning “Beautiful People” that would be ponounceable by westerners? Or “strong people” or “powerful people” or even “civilized people”?

Now wait a minute! That’s exactly the thing that makes things go screwy. (And the Chinese and Japanese people, if any Asians, aren’t the most apt to get that screwy right away.) If those presently in the minority in the US (Is that what we’re talking about?) all are to pick whatever in one of their languages (which language being another point of decision, decision, decision) means ‘beautiful people’, then, well ,gee, guess what the present majority should be found to need to do: “Hi, Beautiful! Yeah, you’re one of us Cocky-Asians (no, I guess that’s spelled Caucasians) who speaks English, and in English, ‘beautiful’ means ‘beautiful’. . .well, so maybe the French dumped the first syllable on us (but the English didn’t steal it. . .and we politely camouflaged (God, more French) it in pronunciation.).” I think we ought to stick to neutral words, but not colors or geographical terms, at least, not those of the latter type that extend beyond the territory of the presumed homeland of the intended designees.

(An aside, as to beauty, and maybe Caucasian skulls, during most of my (male Euro-American (?)) grade-school schooling, the three girls in my classes that appeared to me to be the prettiest were Chinese-Americans. I think other observers of them would’ve agreed. Didn’t check what their bare skulls looked like.)

(I mention the pronunciation thing because we Americans rudely expect everyone to speak our language and somehow get away with it.

Well, in most of the world, most people are less accommodative to your not speaking their language than we are here. However, given where education, commerce and technology stand today, English commands, regardless of the country you want to associate this language with.

However,. . .that is not to say that China couldn’t totally change that. At first glance, you might wonder how that could help but come about. . .but then you see how responses of the small, tight, single, near-totalitarian leadership, which is traditional there, in respect to the Falun Gong, says, can lead to serious instabilities that could well prevent such global power/dominant-race change, with resultant language change, to occur.

Guilty as charged,

What, exactly, were the charges anyway?

but I don’t know how to do anything about it except on a personal level.)

Well, in respect to curing the ills of the world, even as agreed upon (?) by the sum of its humanity, you’re immediately up against two enigmae:

1. The direct antagonism of the ethic of the noble savage vs. that of civilized man – monumental achievement vs. broad-spectrum charity.

2. The pros and cons of social engineering (relate to your “thought out”) vs. social evolution (what the masses and their leaders compromise on).

I think all this pride of minority races and ethnicities (which probably doesn’t, without extra stimulation, overwhelm the majority of any minority) should take second-fiddle priority in respect to reasonable beneficial integration into the society which does the most to accommodate their welfare. After all, most individuals of racial/ethnic minorities in the US are here, because of worse treatment by their cohorts back home or in an earlier time, than they are currently or have been in their present physical and social milieu. This is only to stick pins in the pride thing, not to foment anti-accommodative discrimination.

Yue Han:

Unfortunately, the Chinese for some reason gave the name “Meiguo” the the US; meiguoren means American.

At what date did they make this appelation? And what segment of Chinese society originated this term? Perhaps those who invented it saw the US as great opportunity. I guess some who made it to CA-US during the gold rush, made out reasonably well, under rather extreme hardship, but many fell into some very bad hands here. Clearly some of their offspring did pretty well, although I didn’t realize, until much later, that persons of Chinese extraction couldn’t officially own land in this state until some time in the 1950s.

Of course, even if ‘meiguo’ wasn’t already taken, what would the Japanese, Koreans and Southeast Asians have to say about naming the overall “racial” group with a name from the language of the “middle country”? How similar, even, is that name pronounced in Mandarin and Cantonese? An

Not having read all of the replies, I must state that the term “African-American” would relate to those that recently immigrated here from an African country. If you are born and raised in the U.S., you are an American with NO predetermination of what catagory you fall in.

As I have stated before, I am adopted. I don’t know my actual origins, I suspect I am very much Irish but can’t tell you I am or not not. I spose that would make me Mutt-American?

I am sorry, I find that those that prefer to place themselves in one ethic group are only creating more of a problem for themselves than the intentions are. If you classify yourself as one thing or another, rather than a plain “human being” or in this case, an American, it creates a sense of separatism that often backlashes with stereo-type and cynicism.

Why not accept the plain “American”, I only know from my own experience and can’t honestly say that I can call myself a member of any ethnic group, so why make such a big damn deal about it.

I am an American first and foremost. I sympathize with those that have relatives that have been through hell and back to have some sense of equality and yes, many groups still have difficulties. But, it’s time to take a stand, give finalization to equality and be equal…you can read into that what you think, I mean no harm…however I do find that many in our society find that separating themselves by some defination can only serve to work against the community as a whole. If we all are that important, then lets all focus on working as one and quit making groups within the community as with “African American,” “Latin American,” “German American,” etc…

Stop the labels and we might stop the ignorance and stupidity.

opinion - a belief held often without positive knowledge or proof.

oppress - to burden harshly, unjustly, or tyrannically.

don’t oppress my ability to have an opinion

pointy:

Well, ya know, those Injun names like ‘etc.’ get to be pretty longgggggggggggggggg. The combination just brings up a whole slew of past “ethnic” wars of its own anyhow. And it’s come into recent controversy that all indigenous peoples of the Americas came from Asia via Alaska anyhow. Some now think some of the early (10,000 yr ago) types were from either southern Asia or Europe. Not sure how that would align with present-day Native Americans:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/1999/10/16/MN16921.DTL

As to those DNA numbers, I had them wrong in my earlier post here. I once wrote this in an e-mail to a skeptical organization:

". . .a question that bears on the yet-to-come fun and games with the human genome: In these calculations of commonality of genomes, how exactly are the percentages calculated, given the complex effects of relationships of DNA nucleotides at different distances along the chain? I believe the commonality percentages reported in the press have been 70% between humans and round worms and 99.7% between humans and chimpanzees or bonobos. And are there other more meaningful measures, perhaps limited to only a certain range of phyllogenetic characteristics?

The future race-related enigma is seen when someone states, as was done at an earlier EBSS meeting, a figure for the percentage of genomic variance within the range for humans. I seem to recall this was stated as 0.7% (source unknown), which stacked against the above 99.7% is inviting of some kind of alchemical statement. ;-)"

I wrote (no answer) to Cecil in 2/99:

“The newspapers these days often comment that there is 97% commonality between the known part of the genome of the chimpanzee and that of Homo sapiens sapiens, 70% between same of some round worm and that of H. s. s., etc. Never is it said – in the face of the great complexity of how exact positional relationships of four bases in DNA manage to end up producing species of organisms that appear and behave considerably differently – in any rudimentary manner, how these measures of commonality between pairs of these outwardly quite different critters are arrived at – i.e., what counts as sameness in the two genomes of two different species and why does that particular relationship, rather than some other that would evidence a different notion of sameness, get the nod to call the shot?”

Well, I’m no biology type. Never had a course in it in any school. Went to college before Watson and Crick did there thing, but have read a little in the past at Scientific American level – then forgot 'most all of it. But a “gene varient” is termed an ‘allele’, isn’t it, rather than a ‘genotype’, which is the full complement of the genetic information in an individual, isn’t it?

Well, I think in most educated/intelligent peoples’ books (except maybe in those of science-despising humanists, fundamental theists, or feeling-put-upon minorities), ‘race’ approx. = ‘variety’ in biology. In classical taxonomic biology, all the levels of distinguishing organisms from each other are biased by this or that that probably isn’t the most significant thing. But who has the original blueprint? Even Evolution, they tell us, never owned a blueprint; she’s just a faker constantly throwing out WAGs/hands like somebody else around here. . .just trying to see what might survive, and change how, as the environment changes. :wink: As long as identifiable differences between groups of people who are obviously related and obviously correspondingly similar in some observable physical feature(s) or behavior(s) (stereotypical of the group) can be recognized, people will use a word/concept, such ‘race’, to designate this distinguishability. The only aspect of this that may be influenceable is how these distinctions are used and possibly when they are overtly recognized.

Now, you know any choice of any pair of such two types of distinction is not likely to produce “completely different” groupings of healthy individuals. In fact, many health/functional disorders are predisposed to certain races/strains of people, as has been acknowledge previously in this thread by others.

Much too extreme a statement.

As for the Sri Lankan, you opened a can of worms:
http://www.tamilcanadian.com/eelam/analysis/sinhala.html#b

From what I read on this page, you’re not putting things “simply”; there are various types of Caucasoids and Malay sorts of people on that island. The traditional racial outlook, which I would expect also to be the most medically relevant one in general circulation, would say that she is either Caucasoid or Malay-like, depending more on her nose shape and other features than on the shade of her skin. It’s unlikely she would be Negroid, but she could, of course, be a mix of Caucasoid and Malay or whatever else. I don’t feel like scouring reference materials to find out whether any significan medical differential diagnoses are contingent on whether she is which. I’m not saying what the Sinhalese government or the Tamil rebels ought to do on the basis of such racial discernments; I’m just saying that running around trying to deny people’s perceptions/conceptions of race is not productive and not across the board in the interest of either science or the social order.

You could take an interlude from humans and consider (without tryping to make a close parallel) European vs. African bees, which interbreed. I’m sure you could find human Africans that nearly don’tinterbreed, also.

The rest of what you say is all in generalities, and thus doesn’t approach my point of curiosity as to the actual nuts-and-bolts derivation, genewise, of these intra- and interspecies DNA-percentage differences.

I don’t know Chinese at all, but ‘zhongguoren’, from what is said here, doesn’t sound like a bad choice for Han-centered China, but I don’t think ‘whatever-guo’ is any solution to the problem of a generic name for Mongoloid Asians.

Ray (That makes me waiguo? How 'bout meiwaiguo? :wink: )

Nano Nano my my my aren’t we touchy?

I call an African American a person who is Negroid and lives in America.

For your enlightenment, Nano, Physical Anthropologists have not reached consensus as to whether or not there is such a thing as race. If you need more info on it, I will provide.

That which a man had rather were true he more readily believes.

Wow, these posts are getting long! I shall try to be brief:

Sycorax:

I agree. “Native” means “born in a place.” Using “Native American” to refer only to (mis-labelled) “Indians” can be seen as offensive by other folks who were born here.

(Of course, refering to US citizens as “Americans” can be seen as offensive to others nations in the Western Hemisphere.)

“Indigenous” is no better. It’s a biological term meaning “evolved in a place.” As a species, or even a race, no Homo sapiens ever evolved in the Western Hemisphere. One might make the argument that the cultures are indigenous. One might make that same argument for mainstream US culture, or “black” US culture.

“Original” has connotations of “superior” that would offend just about everybody.

“Aboriginal” is the proper term – it means “first people in a place.” But it is now thoroughly associated with Australians.

I like Canada’s solution: “First Peoples” or “First Nations.”

(I also like the Simpson’s episode where Homer claims to be a native American and Apu claims to be an Indian American, leaving Lisa with no term for the First Peoples.)

pointy & Nanobyte:

Two problems with refering to “Indians” by their tribal names. One, it’s like refering to whites by their European origins. I’m German and Polish by heritage. How would you count me? How would you even know? (What relevance it has tomy life – virtually none – is a separate question.) If you want/need to divide the species into a handful of large groups, nationality ain’t gonna help much.

Second, what name to use? Many many tribes are known by more than one name. In many cases, they are changing from the name most familiar to whites and reclaiming their own historical names for themselves. Thus, some Navaho now call themselves Dene; some Winnebago call themselves Ho-Chunk.

techchick68:

Didn’t teddy Roosevelt rail against “hyphenated Americans” about 100 years ago?
Hmm, I guess that wasn’t so short after all. Sorry…

And don’t limit it to “the rest.” That post was pretty much ALL painted in generalities, the idea being not to give “the” scientific answer, but to illuminate the problem from “another” perspective. But the last I heard, neither Physical Anthropologists nor geneticists took the idea of “race” seriously, at least with respect to supporting a holdover system of appearance-related categorizations. (And thus my quick “example” of an imaginary Sri Lankan. I’ll access your reference - no, really - but in the meantime, you point out (quite correctly) some of the problems of trying to categorize “her” according to appearance instead of culturally, which was just my point: don’t try to “scientifize” physical-appearance categorizations; they mean next to nothing, real-science-wise. You point out correctly that these categorizations DO matter socially, but I think the weight of opinion seen here is that they SHOULDN’T.)

As for your comment about human Africans who nearly don’t interbreed, I believe that one of the observations regarding the Kalihari “Bushpeople” (the !Kung ?) involved visible differences in their genitalia compared to the Western observers and decreased fertility when “breeding” with outsiders. But that’s an ancient memory…

Beruang: “‘Aboriginal’…is now thoroughly associated with Australians.”

That may be true in the popular conception, but I have seen it applied to other aboriginal groups.

But with regards to your mixed cultural heritage, you put your finger on it as far as I - and apparently many of the posters here - see it: how would anyone know, and why would it matter? Of course, with groups who look or dress or act differently from the majority culture it’s harder to argue that it doesn’t matter (whether or not it SHOULD is a separate question) because they often feel excluded. And THAT’s the issue here, as you knew. In my opinion, if we don’t want the society to fragment, we have to create a situation that doesn’t make it attractive for groups to identify themselves as separate, and that means we need to be “all” inclusive, or at least a lot more tolerant. (After all, groups wouldn’t “hyphenate themselves” if there weren’t some form of reward for doing so*, or if they weren’t forced to do it by lack of other choice.)

*Watch out; here come the “reverse discriminationists,” though that isn’t what I meant.

Jesus H. Christ in a chicken basket!

All of these wordy posts, and the obvious (which I commented on) was ignored…

IT’S NOTHING BUT POLITICALLY CORRECT SPEAK DESIGNED FOR WHITE LIBERAL GUILT!!

That’s ALL it means.

Say someone is American if they are indeed a member of our country. Say they’re black if their skin color seems to indicate that, and you really have to say something other than “human.” A lot of black folks like to call themselves “niggaz,” in fact. Use this at your own peril.

But, I repeat, the term African-American is an abomination brought on by white guilt! STOP THE FUCKING MADNESS about, “well, if you are born in Uganda, but spent 3.6 years living in Pakistan, while here on an expired Visa…”

ARGH!!!

Yer pal,
Satan

A Caucasian colleague at work was raised in South Africa and is now an American citizen. Of course, he would not be referred to as “African-American,” although he literally is one. It seems to me that this term is simply a synonym for Negro. I believe that a Black Canadian person might be called “Africal-American.”

I am one who was offended by the requirement that we switch from “Oriental” to “Asian”, especially as both terms have similar roots. Also, most people of Asian descent that I know identify themselves with a particular COUNTRY not a CONTINENT.

How did this lingustic requirement come about? I imagine that some politically correct leadership group secretly decided to force the change just to show that they have power over the rest of us.

Maybe I’m a bit paranoid…

Satan:

:::sigh:::

No, Brian. There are other dynamics going on here–including the origin of the phrase.

Jesse Jackson and a bunch of colleagues met in Chicago (over, I believe a Labor Day weekend), several years ago to discuss strategies for bringing blacks into better relationships with American society. Most of Jesse’s friends are from Chicago, and several others in the group were from other rust-belt locations. In the rust belt (which has the highest percentage of descendants from the great immigration rush of 1890 to 1920 along with substantial groups of the Irish and Germans that preceded that wave), there is a common practice among the various descendants of Irish, Polish, Hungarian, Slovak, Serbian, German, Italian, etc. immigrants of establishing societies, clubs, and other social organizations to maintain the memories of their cultural roots. They do not separate themelves from their U.S. citizenship or their American culture, but they do create credit unions, organize insurance groups, and sponsor some really wild parties. The common thread that each of these groups has (beyond the consumption of large quantities of ethnically derived alcoholic beverages when they gather) is the use of a hyphented name ending -American.

When the Reverend Jackson and his associates decided that, among the several other goals outlined at their conference, they wanted to do something to be more like the white folks with whom they shared a society, they decided to deliberately choose the name by which they would be known. Since most of the members of the group came from rust-belt cities, they were most familiar with the hyphenated-American form of name, so they chose it.

Blacks have not run out to embrace the term. The last time I saw a poll, there was a roughly 60/40 split between black and African American (with the latter term actually losing ground from a couple of years earlier). The U.S. news media, however, identifying Jesse Jackson (correctly or incorrectly) as a “leader” of that population, has embraced it. To the extent that ABC/CBS/NBC/CNN/AP/Scripps-Howard/Hearst/etc. use it, you can claim a “white guilt” association. (You may or may not be correct, but there is room to make the charge.)

The term was not intended to be devisive. It was intended to give black Americans an identity that was more like their neighbors.
Of course, Jackson’s group appears to have missed the facts that the rust belt is not representative of the whole of American society and even in the rust belt the old hyphenated-American societies are slowly becoming mere social clubs (and often dying out), so they shot themselves in the foot with a lot of people.

Since most of my black acquaintances prefer to use the term “black” (on those occasions when a term is needed), I stick with that.

Tom~

Just to echo Tom’s final comment–I have never heard the term “African-American” used by any Black acquaintance of mine.

I have on a couple of occasions heard it IRL from PC-type white guys–but only the PC-types, and only a couple of times there, too.

Just my 2¢.

Ray Campanis:

You said, “Engineering talent is a preadolescence-developed, highly male-chemistry determined trait accentuated in temperate-region evolved persons.” Does that mean that you’re saying women, blacks, and Hispanics don’t have the necessities to be engineers? And since when are India and Southeast Asia temperate regions? And, geez, you get wordy like that and then give me trouble for using “autochtonous”. All right, I spelled it wrong the first time. Sue me.

Tom’s post was excellent, as usual, and I sympathize with Satan, at least as far as white people using “African-American” goes. Mjollnir, on campus between 1992-94, you can guess where, it was quite the fashion for black students to use “African-American”. My guess is that the fashion was largely confined to campuses, the media, and the world of political activism, and that it’s fading, but I had a good few black friends and acquaintances who used that term. There were also a couple of fellow students in my department from Senegal and Cote d’Ivoire who thought “African-American” was pretty silly.