After much deliberation.......

Welcome to the Boards, watch your step, please keep your hands in the ride at all times and Enjoy the trip.

Jim

I get the feeling I’m being whooshed here but anyway I’ll play :smiley:

Sorta creamy coloured with pink bits in it., the clam cakes and fried clam strips were scrummy also.

I like clam in case you hadn’t guessed

BZZZZZT! Wrong!

We would have settled for “Really creamy colored.” Aw, hell, you’re close enough.

If you’d have said “Red with chunks of tomato” we would have had to boot your ass off the board. So-called Manhattan (or Rhode Island) “clam chowder” is not chowder at all, but rather an abomination before God.

shudder

Welcome, chowder!

Glad to have you aboard!

But there’s something fundamentally wrong with describing a bunch of Americans as “well mannered, erudite, articulate beings”.

The dicotomey (sp?) makes my brain swell.

Well I had my first taste in Rhode Island at a seafood place, Aunt Carries in Narangasset (sp?) and of all the places I tried chowder at that was way and above the best by far.

So considering that I had it in RI why wasn’t it red?

I knew there was a reason I liked you.

Red style (tomato based) chowder is native to RI, but not the only thing served. For whatever reason, it was named “Manhattan Style” rather than “RI-style.” From what I have seen, most folks in this part of RI (Narragansett, actually!) prefer white or “New England” style. However, most places I have been to in RI that serve chowder have both styles.

it’s about freakin’ time, bucko!

listen, if you don’t like the goat, there are a few squid waiting in the wings

Well, hell. Here’s another place where I’m gonna get branded as a heretic, or worse.

Ahem…“Manhattan” -style clam chowder is the only kind worth eating. The garp that is passed off as “New England” -style is better suited for feeding farm animals. Blech!

Gross! Them’s fightin’ words.

I have no idea. Maybe that’s just the name. NE chowder (the white kind, of which I approve) seems to be the more popular, and for good reason.

Baaaa!

Both kinds are very tasty - I prefer Manhattan because sometimes cream based soups are very heavy.
They don’t offer it anymore, but Legal Seafood used to have a light chowder - same ingredients as NECC, but in a broth base. [RachelRay] Yummo! [/RR]

Is that pronounced CHOW-der or chow-DAIRE?

Welcome from a vegetarian who likes corn chowder.

“CHA-dah.”

Anything else just ain’t the same! :wink: