Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D S01E21:Ragtag (open spoilers)

With Dick Cheney…
The thing is, this is a Whedon show, so finding dead FitzSimmons is just about par for the course.

I watched it again. The dog scene is ambiguous, but I still think Ward killed Buddy. Also think that the pod thingy should, by all rights, contain the lifeless corpses of FitzSimmons, but it probably won’t.

I did think back to the lie detector scene with Fitz, where he said if he was alone on an island with a box, the box would contain Simmons. Hmmmm. Maybe they wash up on shore somewhere, boom-chicka-wow-wow…and get caught in the act by the rest of the team?

It’s analog, like Gipsy Danger.

The timeline for Ward shooting Buddy makes no sense: Ward goes away with Buddy and a pistol (no rifle). Ward shoots pistol, Buddy starts running. Buddy is still running full out when shot by rifle. For Ward to have done the deed, he’d’ve had to run back to where Garret was, grab the rifle, and shoot the dog – all before Buddy stopped running or had run out of range, and without some sarcastic comment by Garret.

The latter, of course, being the most unthinkable.

Additionally, Ward sprinting back to grab a rifle to shoot Buddy makes its use to parallel to the FitzSimmons jetsam scene nonsensical. If it’s Garret who shot Buddy, the the flashback serves as an indication to the viewer that Ward knows Garret will just kill FitzSimmons anyway if Ward doesn’t obey. If it’s Ward who shot Buddy, the flashback serves as an indication that… Ward is in the middle of an overly convoluted scheme to kill the two (where the jetsam pod corresponds to the pistol shot, and now Ward will have to come back with some bigger weapon to finish the job corresponding to the rifle?).

Ward was previously shown bragging about killing deer from 1800 meters. That’s about a mile. He had plenty of time to get the rifle before Buddy would have been out of range.

I don’t buy it. I think Buddy got killed by Garrett after Ward couldn’t do it. That showed Ward that he’d better do what he’s told, because it won’t make any difference in the end. He dumped FS into the ocean because Garrett would kill them anyway.

It seems like they left it purposefully ambiguous, so perhaps they’ll reveal who the shooter was later. It certainly seemed to me like it was Ward and that still makes the most sense in my mind, but I think it could legitimately be either scenario.

Which also makes no sense - this would have been his moment to betray garret (and not rule the galaxy as father and son) - Garret was down, time to replace - Fitz + Simmons are too valuable to kill.

Ward Shot Buddy - he liked the challenge - can’t kill the things he loves when he looks them in the eyes. (his weakness, Fitz Simmons save)

Garret shooting buddy makes no sense - and he would hold it over Ward’s head - if not killed Ward outright at the time for not following orders.

The writers want it ambiguous - they achieved it.

When watching I had no doubt that Ward let the dog go, then Garrett shot it, having waited to see what Ward would do. Nothing else makes much sense. If Ward had ejected FitzSimmons, then fired a missile at the pod then I might see it differently as there would be a definite parallel there. I didn’t see the pod ejection scene as Ward seriously trying to kill them either - perhaps he knew the plane was flying slow ‘n’ low and the fall would be survivable but FitzSimmons didn’t, hence their unhappiness with the ejection plan.

Yeah, but that doesn’t mean he could hit anything from 1800m away in any direction. The deer wasn’t running through a forest.

Garret shot Buddy to teach Ward that it didn’t matter if Ward didn’t want to do what Garret wanted, Garret was going to get his way regardless. Hence pairing up that flashback with FitzSimmons – Ward knew that if he didn’t kill them, they’d be dead nonetheless, because that’s what Garret wanted. All those flashback scenes were to show that Garret has trained Ward to do what he says.

What Lightray said. And the only reason Ward didn’t shoot FitzSimmonds between the eyeses is that they locked themselves out of reach. Yes, Ward admitted that his caring was a weakness, but he still shoved them out of the plane anyway. It was the only means he had at hand to quickly do what Garrett sent him to do.

And Garrett looked like he was dying, so he wasn’t doing it out of fear of Garrett’s response if he failed.

Yeah. The Bus was going incredibly low and slow… but even so, they fell at least fifty feet in an unpadded metal box. At the very least they should be FitzSimmons instead of Fitz and Simmons.

Right, the reason he couldn’t wait until they landed and just pry them out was because Garret wanted them killed right then and there because he thought he was going to die. Coming back to him and going “we’ll just do it later” was not an option.

I’d be disappointed if that were the case. It’s pretty hard to believe that that was really Ward’s best try at killing FitzSimmons, and if it was supposed to be then the writers should be ashamed.

Well, he was in a hurry, any attempt to blast the pod open would severely damage the plane, and the eject button was right there.

It’s a SHIELD box. It’s probably got inflatable pontoons or something.

Yeah, I just don’t quite buy the “in a hurry” thing. I don’t see why it would be that important to Ward or Garrett that FitzSimmons die before Garrett does, if it means making a really half-arsed attempt at killing them. And if it is, why not a missile to the pod afterwards, for example? Is there really no way to open that pod from the outside? Why does it even exist, then? It’s not exactly an ideal escape pod, and if it’s just to jettison stuff then why make it possible to lock from inside?

Isn’t the pod really an isolation chamber? I thought it was the same lab unit that Simmons did all the work on the virus in back in one of the stupid episodes early on. If it is, then being able to jettison it, or remove it from the plane easily is a feature, not a bug.

I noticed that the Bus was moving fairly slowly, leading to the inevitable explanation of why they are still alive. A sealed isolation chamber should float, so they probably won’t sink. But I imagine they’d run out of air sooner or later.

I’m still a bit confused about Ward’s motivations - I think it was left inconclusive on purpose. But I’d hate if they tried to start redeeming him because of this. Garrett isn’t going to die (at least not right away) and he’s going to either flame out in the next episode or set up for the next season as something new and different.

Still waiting to see May get the Berzerker Staff and go ape-shit with all her pent up anger.