Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Thread for those who have seen Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Yeah, Disney doesn’t need this show to succeed on its own, just not to be a money drain. It’s a great strategy - this show helps sell the movies, the movies help sell this show, all help move comics and other merchandise. The ratings wouldn’t support a second season as a stand-alone TV series.

And as noted by Mother Carlson, sometimes losses can be very profitable, if they are in the right places.

I’m still trying to figure out how you build that big of a facility under the potomac and no one notices?

It’s a really cool scene from a bove - you can see the layout, etc - its just a thin ‘veil’ of water skimming overtop - but there is no way to actually construct that IN the river.

You could block/damn the river - build it - then let the river resume - but it ain’t gonna be secret.

Other than logistics for landing and fueling - why would the bus be gone? Or are you thinking moreso from the guise of “needing to hide in something a little less obvious” ?

The Bus isn’t what you’d call “stealthy.” What are they going to do, land in Chattanooga and pass themselves of as the latest in UPS cargo planes? And I don’t think Coulson’s Shell card will cover filling that thing with avgas.

Plus the less obvious thing you mention. :wink:

Now I picture Coulson, standing at a pump - eyeing his watch… re-inserts card every 75$ — whistleing.
Did Whedon just manage to create a Marvel FireFly?

You’ve got -

May - cross between Wash and Zoe
Coulson = Mal
Simmons = Simon (Dr)
Fitz = Kaylee (Engineer)
Ward = Jayne
Skye = River Tam

All on a flying ship - wanted by both the good and bad guys for crimes they didn’t (or wouldn’t) commit - trying to make an honest living by being the good/bad guys… I can absolutely see Coulson kicking someone into the buses engine - then turning to the next guy -

Hmmmmm…

If you want to fanwank it, the best explanation is they build the underwater hangars at the same time they were building the above ground headquarters. That would have given them an excuse to barricade the area off from observation and bring in construction crews. Then when they take down the barricades, people would just assume that what they can see is all the construction that occurred.

maybe - but that big a change to the riverbed, current, etc - will have huge affects downstream - boat traffic, etc - it wouldn’t be negligable change.

It doesn’t bother me - I don’t even need a fanwank - its a comic book movie and comic book physics and secret buildings apply. But thinking about it in terms of “billions of dollars” and ‘real world physics’ - says - that ain’t happening.

And apparently - you just stick a super secret USB device into any random USB port… (why/how did Nick protect it himself against himself using his own authorization that he can’t over-ride?)

What would they call it?

Former Agents of the Now-Defuct S.H.I.E.L.D.

The Agents Previously Known as Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Seriously
Helping
Identifiy
Enemies our
Leaders
Dislike

I figured that someone else (not Fury) had done so, but faked using Fury’s credentials to cover their tracks. I mean, if the computer had said “access denied by Alexander Pierce” it would’ve given him away.

Dunno, I think it was a foreward allusion to Fury’s fallback retinal scan (with his retinaless eye…) that he used to secure things as his-eyes-only in a way that was off the regular books. Once he saw that he couldn’t unlock it normal, he realized that it was something to do with his secret-from-SHIELD studies. Presumably, he then unlocked it with his other eye, read the stuff, and then went to see Robert Redford for the first time - but that scene wasn’t shown, so as not to reveal his eye machinations until the end of the movie.

It might also be a tip-off to the audience. All season long, we’ve been seeing things that are supposedly classified by Director Fury. Which was evidence that Fury was keeping secrets from Coulson and his team. Now we know that some of the stuff that we’ve been told Fury was keeping secret might have been actually been secrets being kept by Pierce.

Another thought.
Throughout the series, what the Clairvoyant has been most interested in is how Coulson got…resurrected, really. Then, in The Winter Soldier, we have Computer Arnim Zola, who had been diagnosed with something terminal, and saved in computer form.
I’m betting the Clairvoyant is Arnim Zola - who wanted his body back.

So what secret organization was able to set up the secret base where Coulson was treated? Hydra infiltrated Shield and the whole world’s everything, but never heard a whiff of the blue alien operation? Nick Fury pulled strings and moved mountains to get Coulson treated, but who the heck’s strings was he pulling?

Nitpick: Looked to me like it was across the river in Rosslyn, Va. But yes, not in the least inconspicuous: Rosslyn, Virginia - Wikipedia

And FYI, the interiors of the Triskelion’s atrium were filmed at the Cleveland Museum of Art: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8jpMzLP-Ha8/UEPA_KHlVPI/AAAAAAAABDY/iwl3Fxk1eys/s1600/IMG_2919.JPG

O.K., don’t know why it took so long for this to hit me- and I haven’t seen it mentioned in either this Thread or the Winter Soldier Thread.
S.H.I.E.L.D. had had the Teseract since S.H.I.E.L.D. first came into existence.

For nearly 70 years, S.H.I.E.L.D. has possesion of the Tesseract but could do nothing with it because they didn’t know how to harness its power. They finally bring in Erik Selvig to work on it, he makes progress, but even by the time of The Avengers his “calculations are far from complete.”

But now we know that S.H.I.E.L.D. recruited Armin Zola not long after World War II and that Armin Zola in bodily form worked for S.H.I.E.L.D. for about 20 years before he died- then he continued to work for S.H.I.E.L.D. after his death by having his consciousness converted into a computer program.

Armin Zola has known since the 40s how to harness the power of the Tesseract!
He’s the guy who figured it out to begin with! He’s the guy who designed the equipment that harnessed the Tesseract’s power for HYDRA’s weapons systems!!!

Why would S.H.I.E.L.D. recruit him but not put him on the Tesseract project?
Why would he himself- as he had managed to populate S.H.I.E.L.D. with secret HYDRA operatives- not re-develop his Tesseract harnessing equipment so that HYDRA could complete their takeover of S.H.I.E.L.D. using Tesseract weaponry???

Maybe he was never fully trusted. They tried to compartmentalize him as much as possible, and decided from the beginning that one unbreakable rule was Zola and the Tesseract may never be within 500 miles of each other. Just because they decided to use him didn’t mean they thought he was fully reformed. Even when they gave Selvig the Tesseract, who they had little reason to mistrust, they put a top agent in charge of the project to make sure Selvig never went off the rails. Especially considering that Peggy Carter was the first head of SHIELD, and probably was very reluctant to do anything with Zola besides toss him in a small cell, I can certainly see an order coming down “Any agent who allows Zola access to the Tesseract will be transferred to Antarctica for 10 years, then shot.”

Yeah, but that only explains it from one direction.
What about why Zola never worked through his secretly placed HYDRA agents within S.H.I.E.L.D. to take control of the Tesseract?

Maybe he didn’t know they had it. Perhaps orders came down from on high (Carter and Stark) that NO one was to know about the Tesseract. It was purely director-eye(s) only information. By the time Zola had enough Hydra agents in place to find out about it, he was already dead and AI. After all, no one but Stark and a few sailors knew it existed.

It wasn’t until Asgardians and the Destroyer showed up that the Director of SHIELD decided that it was worth the risk to have someone investigate the Tesseract again. That’s what Fury told Thor in “The Avengers” after all. So until then, no one but Fury knew what was in the wooden crate in the huge warehouse.