Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Thread for those who have seen Captain America: The Winter Soldier

You have to figure if they can fake one shooting, they can fake three of them. So it’s a viable theory.

All of you expecting this to be fake - never doubt that Joss will kill or turn evil even the most benign and beloved of characters. He loves to rip out the viewers’ hearts.

StG

He wouldn’t have killed them anyway…he was loading icers on Coulson’s orders at the time.

He’d lost the guns by the time he was dogpiled. Hence the camera’s significant shot of the (knife? I think) lying on the floor next to him.

I thought that was the zip drive with all the data on it…

It was definitely a knife. Same kind of black handled Spyderco-ish knife that Triplett gave to Simmons.
Is anyone else dying/biting their tongue reading the episode thread? “Now maybe Sitwell will get some decent screen time.” “Does this mean Agent Hill is Hydra too?”

yep - I can’t respond to any of that without spoiling TWS - even saying “this is covered in …” would be a spoiler, no?

It would be a spoiler, yes.

Marvel has really blurred the lines with this episode. Notice how, even on TV, Natasha manages to keep a very low profile. No mention of her part in the battle of the helicarriers, just Steve’s. And by somebody just as sneaky as she is.

I also noticed how the TV episode played it cagey in avoiding mentioned the name Alexander Pierce. There was one exchange between Hand and Coulson where Hand said something about there being HYDRA agents at the very top and Coulson reacted. If you had seen the movie, you’d know who they were referring to but a TV viewer wouldn’t have had any idea.

Not so much biting my tongue, as perplexed: how could you watch that episode obviously full of spoilers for the Winter Soldier, and not realize that the Sitwell throwaway line was yet another of that series of spoilers?

The thing with Maria Hill is kind of an unspoiler, though. She kept a low profile in the movie, and at the time Hand and Coulson were talking they still hadn’t found Captain America yet. so from what we see in the movie it looks like Natasha is the one handling the public dissolution of SHIELD – she released it to the 'net, she later testifies about it before Congress. Maria goes to work as a receptionist. Not surprising other SHIELD agents may think she’s disappeared.

It is weird that Hand didn’t mention Natasha, though.

Not really. The Black Widow, like Ward and May, are operatives, the ones that they “let out of their cages”. Hand and Coulson (and Fury, Hill, and Sitwell) are (were) upper management. Obviously, management in SHIELD is still quite capable, but it is similar to the enlisted/officer divide in military structures.

I very much doubt Stark Industries is going to have her sitting behind a desk signing in visitors. She was shown taking a lie-detector test in the movie, so she’s probably going to be fairly highly placed in Tony’s organization when things finally shake down.

I meant more that people are speculating about things in the episode thread, such as Sitwell’s future screen time and Hill’s fate, that have been clearly resolved in the movie, but we cannot comment on in that thread without spoiling the parts of the movie that weren’t already spoiled in the episode.

I almost forgot - nice reference to the movie in last night’s episode that Fitz actually invented the “mousehole” device, and the fact that only top agents (like Fury and Hill) have them. So without Fitz, the movie would have ended very differently!

I like Brett Dalton’s latest tweet…

I think when this all shakes out we will end up with a de-powered but still basically functional SHIELD and an equally powerful Hydra working as basically their evil counterpart.

I think Wade is a triple agent. Hand may really have been killed but I think he is still loyal to SHIELD. The story Bill Paxton was telling at the end was about how he was under deep cover. I don’t think that’s a coincidence but rather a hint.

Spoiler of an Interview with Bell & Loeb discussing writing this season and the Ward situation in light of foreknowing what would go down in the Winter Soldier.

Trying to put together a timeline in my head. Please share thoughts or correct me.

Events shown in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Events shown in Winter Soldier
[ul]
[li]Sitwell drops out of the search for The Clairvoyant, assigned to the Lemurian Star.[/li]Three teams track three possible leads that may be The Clairvoyant.
[li]Pirates take the Lemurian Star.[/li]Captain American and a S.H.I.E.L.D. team take down the pirates, free hostages. Romanov backs up S.H.I.E.L.D. data onto a flash drive.[li]S.H.I.E.L.D. finds Thomas Nash who they believe may be The Clairvoyant, Ward kills him.[/li][li]Fury finds he can’t access the files from the Lemurian Star, asks Alexander Pierce to put Project Insight on hold, an assassination attempt on Fury is believed to be successful.[/li][li]Fitz discovers May’s decrypted line while talking to Simmons, who is at The Hub[/li](Simmons: “Everyone is rushing to the situation room”/Fury’s death announced).
Agent Hand takes control of Coulson’s plane to pilot it back to The Hub.
[/ul]

Here’s where it gets murky.
We get a confirmation in this week’s episode (Apr8 Turn Turn Turn) that Simmons’ “Everyone is rushing to the situation room” (from last week’s episode) syncs up with the announcement of Fury’s death.

When Captain America returns to the Triskelion and he speaks to S.H.I.E.L.D. staff over the PA system he says something to the effect of “I know a lot of you have been told over the past few days . . .” So, it’s been a few days since Cap has been on the run, i.e. it has been a few days since Fury’s apparent death / it has been a few days since “Everyone is rushing to the situation room!”

At the end of this week’s episode, Hand announces that Captain America has successfully brought down the three Helicarriers at the Triskelion.

But it seems that Hand took control of Coulson’s plane and brought it to The Hub within about a day, i.e. within about a day of the announcement of Fury’s death. Then the battle against Hydra at The Hub seems to be over in less than a day. So, it’s only been about a day from Hand taking over the ship (Fury’s death) until the battle at The Hub is brought to an end- but this coincides with Captain America’s take down of the Helicarriers.

In The Winter Soldier, a number of days pass between Fury’s apparent death and the take down of the Helicarriers.

So, something’s not matching up or I’m missing something or I’m wrong about something. Anyone able to clue me in?
I think it’s obvious that some time has passed between the take down of the Helicarriers and Hill joining Stark, 13 joining the CIA, Fury going off on his own, etc. So, it’s still possible for upcoming episodes to have an overlapping timeline with the epilogue scenes of the movie.

1. It’s comic book time. Be glad the order of events doesn’t have to be reversed for the crossover to work.

2. We don’t know how long passed between Garrett’s capture/Hand retaking the Hub, and the scene in the situation room where Hand says Cap destroyed the helicarrier. They could have been sitting tight for a few days waiting to see how things would work out.

The other thing to wonder is what event in the movie lines up with the broadcast of the “Out of the shadows and into the light” message that Skye decrypted. Was it Fury’s death? The same moment Cap and Romanov found out about Hydra from Zola? Or Cap’s message to the Triskelion? If the last, then the end things line up OK, but then what happened to the time between Fury’s death and the helicarrier launch?

Really interesting ideas for Season 2, should they get it, at the end of this piece.