AGW Revealed as a Hoax?

And that.

What little I’ve seen of those e-mails suggest legitimate scientists looking for ways to keep the bullshitters from getting the same attention and credibility. It has to be frustrating to the point of enragement at times.

The thing is, it’s long since become a major issue that’s at least on the average person’s mind, even if they’re not bothering to develop a rigorous understanding of the science. Unlike normal science, climate change science needs to worry about PR and this is really bad PR for them. It’s fine to post on a blog or a message board explaining what is meant by a trick, but my local paper published an article today that was fairly even handed and the people who wrote those e-mails came off awfully. And that’s all the further most people are going to look into it.

And really, if you try to think about it as a lay person not heavily invested either way, that particular line about the trick makes the guy come off extremely suspiciously. It’s hard to explain that to people who are getting their information from local papers and television news in a convincing way. “You know that guy who wrote the douchey e-mail about using the trick to hide a decline in temperatures? He’s not really a douche, he was just using a statistical ‘trick’ to eliminate evidence he knew was false.” Well, the only thing I know about the guy is that he wrote that douchey e-mail, so I’m not inclined to take it on fiat that the evidence he was eliminating was known to be false. I’m sure if I had time I could research the issue and understand it, but most people hearing about this aren’t going to and that’s why it’s a really big PR problem.

I think the lesson is that AGW has taken on the trappings of an evangelical religion. Th proponents will go to great lengths to vilify anyone who presents any data which contradicts the propaganda line. As I see it, world leaders are faced with a problem, as measures intended to reduce greenhouse gas production (e.g. the Kyoto Treaty) will have marginal benefits (at best). Moreover, developing countries (Brazil, India, China) have made it clear that they will not cut back their economic growth, to reduce the production of these gases.
If the USA (or the EC) unilaterally adopt greenhouse gas production, they risk destroying their own economies, while transferring jobs to tyhe counries that ignore the restrictions.
There are a lot of similar situations-the greed for gold (by Western investors) is destroying fish stocks in Africa and Asia(mercury pollution of rivers and lakes)-why don’t we address this isue?

You are confusing the science of AGW with “what we should do about it”

What we do about it does not change the science.

Being critical of what we should do should not lead to deny the science.

http://www.lomborg.com/faq/?PHPSESSID=10ced3bfa2821cdbd8ae44903088948c

Lomborg is notorious over here because many skeptics at the SDMB mistakenly pointed at him as a denier of the science.

The entire scientific purpose of data is to have the crap beaten out of it.
That is how science advances, over the bodies of data that could not stand up to severe scrutiny.
If the naysayers want to whine about how their data is getting beat up, let them go home, crawl into a closet and blubber inconsolably there. That is the proper place for such things. Wailing publicly and begging for sympathy, mercy if you will, is very unscientific.

Wise words.

How do you square that with the proponents who wouldn’t make their data available to scrutiny?

No, what this means is that people with religious thinking have learned to try to tar their opponents by claiming that they also are motivated by magical beliefs.

AGW has been established scientifically. Hell, the principles involved are well understood and have been for a long time. The fact that some scientists were petty and frustrated (by a sustained, decades-long campaign to lie about their work) doesn’t mean AGW isn’t happening any more than the fact that Isaac Newton had some strange religious beliefs invalidates gravity.

Because the deniers make too many demands and there is a history of them ignoring data that was released before.

http://blogs.nature.com/climatefeedback/2009/08/mcintyre_versus_jones_climate_1.html

http://scienceblogs.com/deltoid/2009/10/mcintyre_had_the_data_all_alon.php

It seems to me that the lesson to be learned here is that painting your opponents as belonging to some sort of evangelical religion has, itself, become an evangelical religion.

Obama voter? You’re voting for the Messiah!

AGW? It’s a religion!

Athiest? It’s just another religion!

Scrutiny by scientists - not a bunch of malignant ya-hoos

So?

First, there isn’t such a thing as ‘too many demands’ for your data/processes. Science isn’t secret. If it is, it isn’t science. Releasing data isn’t difficult. You post it on the Internet somewhere, and you are done.

Second, skeptics have no obligation to do anything with the data. But you do have an obligation to release it.

I agree. That’s why they should release the data, so that real scientists can see it, not just a bunch of malignant ya-hoos. :stuck_out_tongue: The ya-hoos have had their turn at it, lets see what real science can do now.

Heh, actually, the leak has lead to what they were doing being scrutinized by experts: the source code to their modeling programs is currently being raked over by hundreds of programmers.

Anyway, Sam Stone proposed a good idea in the Pit thread: why not make it mandatory to release all datasets and program code under a creative commons license?

Nate Silver’s take on this…

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/11/i-read-through-160000000-bytes-of.html

University of East Anglia?

Let’s just get rid of ALL intellectual property rights while we’re at it, release the recipe for coca cola so I can make it at home for pennies a glass.

If Coke got research money from the Gov, then yeah.

Are you being purposefully dense? Does Coca Cola get extensive research grants from the taxpayer? Is Coca Cola’s research activity the basis for a concerted effort for massive social change in virtually every industrialized country?

It appears to a casual observer (and I’m about as casual an observer as can be found), that this shit is a bit dated. Ten years or so? If AGW is a “hoax”, its one hell of a hoax, since the consensus of scientific opinion has shifted more in its favor than against in the intervening space of time. Is all of that research a “hoax” as well? I suppose a lot depends on who’s ox is Gored…

But suppose we find out tomorrow that some of the earliest skeptics of Piltdown Man’s authenticity played fast and loose with their data. Would Piltdown Man then be considered an authentic find? No, of course not, its a hoax, it was then and remains one now. The earliest research was clumsy and crude in comparison to what we have available, if we started from scratch on Piltdown, it would be found out as a hoax much more speedily than it was before, it is most assuredly bogus.

If the “hockey stick” hoopla proves that the original data was questionable, what effect does that have on the independent research that went on after? Zero, zilch, zippo, nada damn thing. Those results might have encouraged the reluctant to pursue the question, or might have increased the possibility of funding for what was, at that time, not a very popular topic.

But the research that went on afterwards is still research, data is not affected by our ethical judgements, it simply is what it is.