AI-created Card Game simulation of Gateball

I’ve been playing around with one of the AI chat-bots (you.com). Besides using it for work, I’ve also used it to find information about various things I find interesting. This morning, during breakfast, I thought, “Why not have it create a sports simulation card game?” So, I gave it a go; well, actually, I gave it a few. The first one seemed to me to be the best. The others were just not representative enough to me of the actions. The entire conversation for the first go follows.

Monty: Please design a two-player card game (your choice of numbers of 52-card decks to be used) that will simulate playing the game of Gateball (10 player Gateball game).

You.com: Title: Gateball Showdown

Objective: Gateball Showdown is a two-player card game designed to simulate the strategic gameplay of the 10-player sport, Gateball. The objective of the game is to score points by strategically maneuvering the cards on the playfield and knocking the opponent’s cards out of play.

Components:

• Two standard 52-card decks (104 cards in total)
  • Playfield: A square grid consisting of 7 rows and 7 columns, forming a 49-card play area.
  • Scoreboard: A separate area to keep track of players’ scores.

Setup:

1. Shuffle the two decks of cards together to form a single deck.
  2. Deal 21 cards face-down onto the playfield, forming a 7x7 grid.
  3. Each player draws 5 cards from the remaining deck as their initial hand.
  4. Place the scoreboard within reach of both players.

Gameplay:

1. The game is played in turns, with the players alternating.
  2. On their turn, a player may perform one of the following actions:
  • Play a card: Choose a card from their hand and place it onto an empty space on the playfield.
  • Move a card: Move one of their own cards to an adjacent empty space on the playfield.
  • Knock out an opponent’s card: Move one of their own cards to an adjacent space occupied by the opponent’s card, removing it from the playfield.
  1. After performing an action, the player draws a card from the deck to replenish their hand back to 5 cards.
  2. The game continues until all the cards have been played or there are no legal moves left.
  3. Scoring: At the end of the game, players earn points based on the arrangement of the cards on the playfield, following these rules:
  • Each player scores 1 point for each of their cards in the central 3x3 grid of the playfield.
  • If a player’s card is adjacent to their opponent’s card, they score an additional point for each adjacent pair.
  • If a player’s card is in a row, column, or diagonal that contains only their cards, they score an additional point for each card in that line.
  • The player with the most points wins the game. In case of a tie, the player with the most cards on the playfield wins.

Note: The rules of Gateball Showdown are inspired by the strategic elements of the sport Gateball. While the game aims to capture the essence of Gateball, it is not an exact replica and focuses on the card-based gameplay experience. Enjoy the strategic challenge and have fun!

Monty: What strategy is involved in the game you designed?

You.com: In Gateball Showdown, players must employ strategic thinking and decision-making to outmaneuver their opponent and maximize their score. Here are some key strategies involved in the game:

1. Card Placement: Players must carefully choose where to place their cards on the playfield. Placing cards strategically can help control the central 3x3 grid, which earns points. Additionally, players can aim to create rows, columns, or diagonals of their own cards to score additional points.
  2. Knocking Out Opponent’s Cards: Players can strategically move their cards to knock out their opponent’s cards from the playfield. By removing the opponent’s cards, players can prevent them from scoring points and gain a tactical advantage.
  3. Positioning for Adjacency: Players can aim to position their cards adjacent to their opponent’s cards. This allows them to score additional points for each adjacent pair. Strategic positioning can also disrupt the opponent’s plans and limit their scoring opportunities.
  4. Hand Management: Players must carefully manage their hand of cards. They need to consider the value and potential of each card and decide when to play, move, or hold onto cards for future turns. Balancing offensive and defensive moves is crucial for success.
  5. Adaptation and Flexibility: As the game progresses, players need to adapt their strategies based on the changing playfield and the opponent’s moves. Being flexible and adjusting tactics accordingly can help players seize opportunities and overcome challenges.

Remember, these strategies are not exhaustive, and players may develop their own unique approaches based on their playing style and the specific game situation. Enjoy exploring different strategies and outwitting your opponent in Gateball Showdown!

Monty: The original game of Gateball has a 30-minute playing time. Does that playing time also apply to Gateball Showdown?

You.com: Yes, the original game of Gateball has a playing time of 30 minutes, as mentioned by the Australian Gateball Union and the World Gateball Union. However, it’s important to note that the playing time of Gateball Showdown, the card game version, may vary depending on the players’ familiarity with the rules and their pace of play. While the card game aims to capture the essence of Gateball, the duration of Gateball Showdown may differ from the original sport due to the different gameplay mechanics.

So that’s the game folks plus two questions I asked the (as my students call it) robot for some clarification. What do you think?*

• Is it workable?
  • Is the number of cards too large, too small, or just right?
  • Would adding a 30-minute playing limit change the game’s dynamics?
  • What other questions should I ask the robot?

I don’t know what Gateball is, but these are my initial questions:

1. I don’t see how to deal 21 cards to form a 7x7 grid (Setup point 2). To define the perimeter of such a grid is 24 cards. Also, why are these cards face down? Are they involved in play at all? If not, doesn’t that make the playing field smaller?
  2. Knocking out an opponent’s card: per the rules, this is as simple as moving your card onto theirs. In the strategy response, the AI suggests that the value of the card will play a role in strategic decisions. It would make sense that you need to use a higher value card to knock out a lower one, but that’s not in the rules. Does the value of the card matter, and if so under what circumstances?
  3. Does the game end when one player has no legal moves, or when both can’t play?

I don’t think a 30 min playing time should come into it. There’s a max of 83 moves and it feels like it’s not so complex it should take half an hour to play through.

One would hope that it matters at least sometimes, or the cards are just tokens, and might as well be coins, checkers, or any other sort of game piece.

Also, if both decks are shuffled together into one, and both players draw their cards from the same deck, how do you tell whether a card that’s been played is yours or your opponent’s? And why do we even need two decks? One is enough to completely fill the 7x7 play area, plus a few extras (OK, so hand sizes would diminish right at the end, but that seems a small matter).

And on a player’s turn, they can play a card or move a card. Moving a card doesn’t remove a card from their hand, but the rules still say they draw a card to replace it?