AirineBaggage Check ?

This morning I was shocked to be charged $27.00 by U S Air when I checked a small suitcase. As the passenger loading was almost complete, the storage bins were filled and a couple of passengers had to have their bags checked by the flight attendants.

I didn’t ask either of them, but I wondered whether they were charged as they would have been had they done so at the counter or with the skycap. Seems to me the flight attendants wouldn’t be prepared to process a transaction like that.

Anyone know for sure?

Typically, if its checked at the gate or aboard because the storage bins are full, its free.

shh! the more people that figure this out, the higher the chance they stop doing it for free!

Passengers are allowed one 22 linear inch 35 pound carry on. That and a personal item that will fit under the seat in front of them.

If the bag is too big or too heavy or over the number of allowed pieces to be carried on, my airline WILL charge you at the gate for excess. We have been given this direction, even if it means a delay to the departure of the flight.

An aircraft that holds 130 + passengers and will only hold ~90 roller bags will mean some bags need to be checked, but people trying to get more through the jetway door than allowed… You’ll pay just like a person at the counter.

It would be unfair to the people who ponied up at check-in to let people carry on everything plus the kitchen sink.

Last time I flew Northwest, earlier this year, they asked for volunteers to check their carry-ons. They worked the line of people on the jetway, and it was free. Not sure what happens if they don’t get enough volunteers.

I think there’s a difference between how they handle checking a carry-on that’s the right size, but the plane is just too full, and a bag that’s simply too big to be a carry-on.

The carry-ons get tossed under the plane, but you also have to pick them up plane-side, and if you are changing planes, you bring them to the next plane, where they may or may not get tossed under the plane again. They don’t charge for this, but it seems to be getting more common with airlines charging for checked bags, so people bring the largest carry-on they can get away with.

The too big bags are the ones they charge for, and I assume those get checked like a regular bag and you have to pick them up at baggage claim when you reach your destination.

Yeah, the last flight, my wife and I took one large suitcase instead of two small ones because of this policy. Not sure what they’re trying to accomplish - just more money (always!) less weight on the plane (yeah right!) or fill up the bins (happens anyway).

If your bag is the legitimate size to be carried on, and once you get on board, there is no room for it to be stowed either in your overhead bin or under the seat in front of you, the airline is required to check it through to your final destination “free of charge”. It is not “gate checked” (except on some of the smaller commuter jets), but it is fully checked and would be reclaimed at baggage claim.

Since the introduction of the baggage fees, more and more travelers are carrying on their bags to avoid such fees. This is resulting in the overhead bins being more full and thus necessitating the checking of bags plane side.

Several times I’ve booked a flight through American and because of the small number of passengers they switched the plane to a smaller one which did not have overhead bin space for roller bags. All of the roller bags were collected at the gate as we boarded, and when we arrived at our destination they were delivered to us at the gate. We were not charged a fee for this.

I fly to Chicago several times a year, and while I’m there I usually stay at a friend’s house. On my last two trips I left clothes with him; by not having to pack them for future trips I’m hoping to be able to avoid having to pay to check a bag.

Airlines compete almost solely on price. So rather than raising ticket prices, which would lower their ranking in the online search engines, the airlines squeeze extra income from amenities, like checked baggage. When did checked baggage become an amenity? When airlines learned they could charge for the first checked item and get away with it.