Airman's/Aeronautical Information Manual

From another thread:

I didn’t ask, but that sounds similar to the AIM we have here. That led me to this question: What does AIM stand for?

When I started flying, I’m sure it was Airman’s Information Manual. Some time ago I saw it being called the Aeronautical Information Manual. Is my memory incorrect, and the AIM has always been Aeronautical Information Manual? Or did it change at some point? ‘Airman’ has a long tradition of use in the aviation community. I can see that women might object to the term, and the meaning of AIM may have changed to become more inclusive.

You nailed it. The term “airman” was determined to be sexist & has been largely expunged from the regs & other pubs. IIRC it was about the late 1980s when Airman’s Information Manual became Aeronautical Information Manual.

However, we still have NOTAMs, which is short for “NOtices To AirMen”, preserving the sexist usage.

It’s good to see that my memory is intact. And it will stay that way, knock on…

Come in!

They’ll probably start saying it means “NOtices To Aeronautical community Members”

There’s a gravel garden at the gate of a NASA center I frequent. It used to say “FOR THE BENEFIT OF ALL MANKIND” but someone took a rake to it and now it says “FOR THE BENEFIT OF ALL *******”