Airplane question

Does anybody know how many parts are in a Learjet? I am most interested in the Challenger 605, but frankly any Learjet will do. Many thanks.

No idea, but these guys may be able to help:

http://www.challengerspares.com/

I don’t have an answer for you, but are you including fasteners like bolts and rivets, or just “aircraft” parts? Each and every button, switch and breaker, or just the overall panels? It probably numbers in the several thousands.

You could try contacting Bombardier directly; the CL605 is made in Montreal, at 400, chemin de la Côte-Vertu, Dorval, QC H4S 1Y9, phone (514) 855-5000 . I think someone in the Communications/Public relations department is probably in charge of answering inquiries like this, though I doubt you’d get a quick or very precise answer, especially since several components are made by outsourced companies.

A question? What is it?

I suppose you could try acquiring the various service manuals, each of which should give a detailed parts list, but I’m sure the number of parts will vary significantly by how the jet is configured (for which you would need the “Customized Completion Manuals”). A completely stripped-down but flyable 605 will have several thousand parts by the strictest definition, but as mnem points out, this multiplies significantly if you start counting fasteners and whatnot. Heck, the wiring alone…

An expression of inquiry that invites or calls for a reply, but that’s not important right now.

I do not understand why you call a Challenger a Learjet.
What year made or model?
Define parts please.

The standard answer is 1 million rivets in a loose formation.

Doesn’t answer your question but when I worked on Boeing 777 number 1, an engineering release stated there was a bit over 10,000,000 individual pieces used to build that airplane. Each piece had to be installed correctly for the airplane to fly as designed and the failure of one of those parts could be enough to bring that airplane down.

If you think of an airplane as a fractal construct, there are an infinite number of parts.

If a 777 has 10 million parts, 5 million components may not be unrealistic for a “small” airplane - The body may be smaller, but each has two seats up front. If you compared a Lear to perhaps a 737, you’d find things to be pretty similar - the 737 would mainly have more sheet metal and seats.

The real number will be somewhere between the ten or so parts in a toy (body, wing, tail, wheels, engines) vs infinity. How many nuts hold each tire to how many wheel studs? How many washers and torque tattle-tales are under those nuts? How many bearings are at each wheel? Assuming the bearings can be maintained rather than replaced, how many rollers or balls are in each? And so on…

The Challenger 600 (CL-600-1A11) built by Canadair is generally credited as being a Bill Lear design, however the project got moved to Canadair rather early on and the aircraft actually has very little in common with the Learjet family of business jets as a result of the additional development done (walkabout cabin, supercritical wing, etc). The CL-605 (CL-600-2B16) is the most recent - and only currently manufactured - variant/upgrade on the original.

It’s actually a much larger plane than any of the Learjet family, even the Lear 85. Though the 85 has fewer parts regardless of its size, given the extent of composite material used.

Oh God, I hope not! No redundancy at all? Remind me never to fly on a B777 again if that’s the case! :wink: