Airplane seatmate from hell

I used to do this way back in the 90s and earlier. However, a couple of people on the old AOL SDMB mentioned that it was annoying, and I respected their opinions, so I quit doing it.

Bosda’s been hogging them for years.

Hey, don’t hate the ellipses… How would I express that pause of astonishment at the end of each of my sentences…?

Seriously, I’m not going to pile on to the girl’s mad typing skillz, but she’s a 20-something that couldn’t speak up for herself? I’d like to think when I was in my 20’s I would have called an attendant if some leg-spreading, arm-laying, hand-patting, cheek-kissing lout was sitting next to me.

So why did you do it in the first place? What were you trying to convey?

I checked out at “ur”

Maybe she was trying to convey the idea of the original concept of legs and arms. Or reading something about Sumeria.

I thought she was talking about the Sumerian Renaissance…

No one expects the Sumerian Renaissance.

Fuck the grammar. That sucks ** Flying Dutchman**. She really should have spoken up, but I know that’s very hard to do for some young women.

As for the folks focusing on the manner in which the complaint was relayed, you’re asses. Og help us, that’s the way many young people relate statuses on FB or texts even if it’s not quite so grounded in necessity given smartphones. Sure, we’re all better than that, even our younger posters, but then again this board does specialize in smug self righteousness. And yes, I’m a hypocrite (or as Swype just tried to suggest, a ‘hippo’).

Tell your niece to nicely relay those facts to the attendants when it occurs. Oftentimes, if an attendant can objectively observe and verify, the complainant could be bumped up to first class if space is available.

no u rofl #pwned

Flying Dutchman, Awful seatmate indeed. That guy was totally a creep and I’m glad the couple behind your niece reported him. But now your niece needs to learn the methods of self-defense, especially verbally, so that she can protest unwanted aggressive moves and speak up for herself. Assertiveness in protecting her own boundaries is what she needs to study.

You have a very nice niece. She should have kicked him in the balls the second he patted her head and kissed her, but she restrained her anger and vented appropriately at a later time. She gets a +1.

Took her five hours to get moved to another seat? And only because others intervened? Why couldn’t she speak up? She’s returning to town, with no time to spare, and working a shift, but it’s her seatmate’s fault she’s couldn’t sleep, and will be tired?

As she also communicates like she’s in 8th grade, I’m going to wildly guess she not terribly mature for her age?

Poor thing, must suck to be that immature in your twenties. It means the next few years won’t likely be easy for her, but everyone has to find their own path.

And my day is made :smiley:

Does Canada not offer classes in how to scream and stab someone in the eardrum with a plastic fork?

I sure do. She has Lupus and we had a huge scare with her hospitalization and potential organ failure about 8 months ago. Perhaps she’s overly nice and avoids confrontation, but she’s overcome tough times and lives life to the fullest, amassing a great number of friends judging from all the photos and comments on her facebook posting. Truly an inspiration for me when times get tough.

In a subsequent posting she tells us she’s laughing about it now.

And I don’t give a flying fuck if her texting grammer fails the SDMB standard.

Dude, I know successful professionals in their 40s who type like that in Facebook and Twitter. I can’t bring myself to do it, but it’s not just a young person thing.

Someone needs to learn some assertiveness.

Well the Sumerians were practically asking for it, flashing their lapis lazuli like that.

Back in the day, she coulda pulled out her box-cutter.