Ajectivalistic words

I feel as though I’ve stumbled into a thread full of Kingfishes.

Mighty fine post!

I do have to admit that for a good second after reading the OP, I wondered if I was an idiot for using the word “economical”.

Expiration is a noun? An expiration? Really?
Sounds most peculiar to my ears, maybe it is one of those cross the pond differences.

Hold up, though, if you are saying expiration is a noun, why is it not made into an adjective to qualify the noun “date”?

I hereby submit expirationic.
:smiley:

I think it’s a pond difference, curly chick. They use expiry here as well, but not very widely (it’s mostly on pharmaceutics and such).

Yeah, MW has expiration as a noun. In “expiration date,” however, it’s behaving as an adjective, i.e., a date that has expired. Six o’ one, half-dozen of t’other.

“Economic” means relating to the economy; “economical” means “cheap.”

I’m thinking y’all have WAY to much time on your hands.

Thats the beauty of language… it is flexible. So bend with it.

Sure, but it’s still fun to discuss, as most of us were doing. For instance, I had no clue about the expiration/expiry date difference, and both curly chick and I learned something. Fighting ignorance and all that.

I’ll say. I’d never heard the word “expiry” before this thread. Now I can use it to confuse and befuddle my friends.

I always thought “expiration” was the opposite of “inspiration”. In the breathing out/breathing in sense, of course. I don’t know what poetic expiration might be, though I imagine you could win the Turner Prize with it.

Some of you are forgetting the nuances and overlaps in English.

But people who say orientate should be shot.

“Eschew obfuscatory sesquipedalianism.”

Your peevementishness
is perfectly understandishable.

Reminds me of an SNL skit featuring Dubya:

“Strategery”

T’was from the long lamented & short-lived Mr. Show on HBO - Bob Odenkirk & David Cross

The line worked for me, don’t know enough about vocabularitization if it fit the OP’s rantifying or not

This reminds me of an ex of mine, who used “comfortability” on such a regular basis I finally fled screaming into the night. I shudder just thinking about it.

Lockbox!

PIN number and ATM machine are incorrect because they are redundant:

Personal Identification Number number

Automatic Teller Machine machine
I once receive a memo at work that urged us all to avoid jargonizing letters we sent to clients.

Really. I kid you not.

Thank goodness, I was sitting here puzzled thinking “economical is wrong??? Sheesh all those years”.

So can anyone explain “burgled” vs. “burglarised”? The latter, IMHO, sounds pretty stupid to me.

But new-wordiness is funliness!

This post has been self-editied for excess use of Buffy-speakisms mingled with Cap’n Jack Sparrow talk, savvy? Yeah, I don’t know either.

Burgled is a transitive verb, requiring an object to complete its meaning.

Burglarized is an intransitive verb, not requiring an object.

Perhaps someone better equipped than I can give examples because I can’t seem to create a sentence with burglarized as an intranstive verb.

Burgled does sound rather silly though.
I’ve heard people use “deliberatively” and “condescenditatively” (and stumble over it about as badly as you just did in reading it) in all seriousness. And my co-workers wonder why I laugh so often when no one is being “deliberatively” funny.