Alan Rickman

OK, admit it. One of y’all pouring out all this affection is really Alan Rickman, aren’t you? :wink:

I loved Alan Rickman long before I saw S&S, but I was so accustomed to his being the villian that I was actually distracted during the movie because I kept second guessing his motives and expecting him to turn around and sell Kate Winselt into prostitution or something. I was in near disbelief when the movie ended and he wasn’t revealed to be behind it all. What ever “it all” was.

I had to watch a second time to really appreciate his performance.

Oh God, I hope so. Alan, disregard my previous comments about steaming piles of crap! I love you.

As for Die Hard, I didn’t like Bruce Willis before the movie. I hated him after it. Now when I run across it on TV, I watch it until just before AR’s last scene, then shut it off and curse Bruce Willis.

He’s fifty-eight? No way!

Alan Rickman as Colonel Brandon was majorly swoon-worthy. I spent most of the movie cursing Marianne for lusting after that loser, Willoughby.

And Snape rules. I just adore Snape.

falls out of chair

drools

I remember in the first movie, when he just BURSTS into the classroom. I confess, I cheered.

Alan Rickman is hot! I don’t care what character he plays, I always root for him. I’m surprised no one has mentioned his role in Quigley Down Under. Alan Rickman in a western. Two of my favorites things at the same time. drool

I’ve loved him in all the things I’ve seen him in. Sense & Sensability’s performance is just wonderful.

I can’t beleive he is 58.

I refuse to believe it.

I hope he gets a nice big, fat bigger chunk in the next Potter movie.

He should, since more stuff about Snape’s past comes out starting in Book III.

I also loved him in Rasputin, in that he made the guy look NOT cartoonish-he was neither a devil, or a saint.

An Alan Rickman thread!

Mmmmmmmmmmm…

Carry on.

“You! My room, nine o’clock. You! Ten. Bring a friend.”

:smiley:

I think there are a couple reasons Rickman gets oddly typecast:

1. He’s just oozing Englishness. Hollywood doesn’t know what to do with somebody who can out-English Hugh Grant and Jeremy Irons combined.

2. More so than Grant, Irons, or even Rupert Everett, Rickman is, well, a tad swishy. I honestly don’t know his orientation (Irons claims to be quite very hetero, so anything’s possible), but I have had many an American audience member tell me they figure the guy’s gay as the night is black.

So, thinks Hollywood Casting Agent, what to do with a somewhat effete, hyper-English thespian, who also happens to be tall, handsome, with acting chops that outshine all of Hollywood’s leading men put together, and a voice that makes all lovers of male voices nearly melt into an orgasmic puddle of joy? Why, cast him as the villian! Of course! Makes perfect Hollywood sense.

I love Alan Rickman! He’s my favorite Non-Famous Actor. (By which I mean, the type who when you tell someone you like the actor, the person you’re speaking to goes, “who?”) (My second-favorite Non-Famous Actor is Chris Cooper, who, oddly, still qualifies despite having won the Academy Award.)

I’ve loved AR since I saw Truly, Madly, Deeply. I think he’s a fabulous actor and he’s got that certain undefinably sexiness . . . you know, a guy who’s not to look at all that attractive but still, somehow, sexy.

Far and away my favorite performance of his is the Sheriff of Nottingham. He just chewed up the scenery, camped it up, and had a great time. It was like he knew the movie was crap and the best thing to do was just play it to the hilt and put in a totally enjoyable performance. He was the only thing worth watching in that movie and his performance alone makes it worth the price of a rental.

I gotta admit I always root for the villain at least a little bit when Rickman plays one. Especially in Robin Hood, there I was hoping he’d win. I do agree that he is under-used though.

Hijack - Speaking of great villain actors who wants to start the Gary Oldman appreciation thread?

Wow. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an [actor/actress] thread where nobody chimed in with a “he/she sucks or is totally overrated post” !

Anway, I’ll pile on too. Loved him (in a totally masculine way) in Die Hard, Dogma, and Robin Hood. I haven’t seen him in too much else, though I might have to check out some of the films mentioned in this thread.

[Farley]

Remember in Die Hard, when he starting talking like an American and said his name was “Bill Clay” so he could fool Bruce Willis???

That was awesome

[/Farley]

Another Rickman fan here. It took me awhile–I think it was actually until I saw him in “Dogma” that I caught the bug (I’d liked him in “Galaxy Quest” but more in a “he’s a cool actor” way than a “…Yeah!!” way. :slight_smile:

I adored him as the Metatron. My favorite scene in the movie is where he describes to Bethany the time when he had to explain to young Jesus why he had to do what he had to do–heavy stuff, and he handles it so well. I was just sorry he didn’t appear in any of the deleted scenes on the DVD.

And that voice… :slight_smile:

“And now, unique voice theater presents: ‘James Earl Jones and Alan Rickman read the phonebook.’”

Admission: $75

I would buy a ticket to EVERY performance of that show! <drool drool drool> Well, not drooling over JEJ, per se, although he has a totally kick-ass voice. But Alan Rickman? :eek: Sure he’s just about old enough to be my father, but what I wouldn’t give to have him whisper sweet nothings in my ear! :smiley:

<SWOON>

(I just added Truly, Madly, Deeply to my list of movies to look for tonight at Blockbuster.)

Engel

Well, not that it proves anything, but he has been linked with the same person since 1977 they are not married, the person is referred to as his “partner” and the person is reported as being female.
sigh Lucky b…

I know it’s corny, but I loved his delivery of that one line in Galaxy Quest. The actor HATED doing “By Grabthar’s Hammer, by the Suns of Worvan, you shall be avenged,” but he did it to make someone happy, as he lay dying.

His role as Marston, in Quigley Down Under, was the first thing I ever saw him in. I’ve admired his acting ever since. One line from Die Hard I liked “I am an exceptional thief!”