Alcohol Blacklist in Atlanta

I’ve heard these counties called “damp” counties where they have some form of legal public booze (e.g. beer and wine only; no liquor, no package stores, no "by the drink liquour; only package stores) but even in the driest of bone dry counties, I have never heard of any one of them that makes it illegal to keep and drink booze in your own home. You can’t walk down the street and buy it. You can’t walk down the street to a bar, or to a restaurant that serves booze.

But if you can make it to the county line, I don’t care what kind of dirt backwood country road you get there by, there will be a giant liquor store, several bars, and signs galore advertising booze.

I live in Palm Beach County, Florida. The county sets closing time for bars at 5am. The City of Delray Beach (where I live) has a city ordinance that closes bars at 2am. You wouldn’t believe the number of bars located just BARELY outside the city limits, and able to stay open three hours later.

This has become a local issue lately, because instead of walking down the road to drink, some late night partiers are DRIVING to the bars outside of town. So the local ordinance is actually (according to some) putting more drunk drivers on the road.

I think some dry counties have rules against transportation (back home) but I’ve never heard of anyone being busted for personal amounts of booze, so long as it’s not being consumed in the vehicle…

The police do now have more powers to impose temporary closures, for repeated problems with underage drinking, ‘antisocial behaviour’ (collective yawn), etc. A pub in my town was closed for four weeks, starting mid-December (ouch), after the police had been called a few times to deal with fights at chucking-out time.

I suppose that would be par for the course for a Glasgow boozer, but we don’t put up with such nonsense around here :wink:

This comes up any time the issue is debated by the city. Here it’s more like, “Isn’t it safer to let Willie the Wino walk to the local 7-11 to buy his beer rather than making him drive three miles out to “The Strip”, since he’s apt to toss a few back on the drive home?” Makes sense to me, but every time there’s been an election, the local Baptist ministers organize their congregations and it gets voted down.

There’s a de facto transportation amount limitation in the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code. Basically, according to section 101.32, possession in a dry area of more than a quart of liquor or more than two cases of beer is prima facie evidence of “possession with intent to sell”. And possession with intent to sell is a class B misdemeanor under section 101.31 (that’s up to a $2000 fine and up to 180 days in jail). So, apparently, you’re not allowed to buy more than two cases on any single trip out to the Strip, which is crazy; you’d have to make trip after trip if you were holding a big party.

Lubbock is still “dry” in the sense of “no package liquor sales within the city limits.” Beer and wine are served just about everywhere; you just can’t take any home.

Recently the town of Wolfforth (within Lubbock county) had an election, and the provision to allow liquor sales in the town passed. So, places within a “dry” county can certainly vote themselves “wet”. I haven’t heard of any place that formerly allowed liquor sales subsequently banning it, so I don’t know if it ever happens the other way around.

We are, and I live south of Macon (Warner-Robins, to be exact). Hell, the great thing about gettin’ likkered up and trigger happy is that ya never run out of targets.

“Hay Cletus, set up that empty twelve pack on th’ fence! I’ll go git the Tommy Gun and slap a’ mag’ in th’ well! Wooo!”

Contrary to what a lot of people think, guns actually are machines. They do not posess sentience or free will. They are simply mechanical tools used to express the intent of the user.

Anyways, I’ve lived/worked in “dry” counties before, and I can see something like this happening only as mentione before–parochial or “Christian” schools. Also, there are other programs that take into account access of medication/weapons/alcohol, but those are usually for ‘certified’ babysitting or after-school homes. But I’ve never heard of anyone being ‘blacklisted’ simply for posession.

Tripler
Yeah, I have to join the crowd: sounds like a private, Christian school.

AFAIK the PTA is a private organization, membership and participation is optional. So it’s not unconstitutional. IANAL, but if the PTA is actually coming out and saying anyone who doesn’t sign is an alcoholic then that’s libel and/or slander and a matter for civil court.

But you have to transport it back to your house. Is there an exclusion for transporting small amounts?

I read once that Barrow, AK was completely dry, banning even possession, but this seems to have changed and you are now allowed to import alcohol on a license basis.

A few states and localities did ban simple possession; there was nothing in the Constitution to prevent states and municipalities from enacting stricter laws. Michigan was once such state, and possession was a felony. At the time they had a three-strikes type law and there were a few cases of people being sentenced to life after a few convictions of possessing liquor. I believe their sentences were mostly commuted to time served once the law changed. If you have access to newspaper archives, just look for “Michigan” “life” “sentence” “Prohibition”, etc…

In one of the folksy ads for Jack Daniel’s whiskey, they said public tours of the distillery were available. They said they’d love to give free samples as part of the tour, but they can’t. The distillery is in a dry county.