Alcohol Blacklist in Atlanta

The liquor licence can be revoked permanently, and the owner (and server involved) prosecuted. There’s no facility for a temporary revocation.

For a first offence, the bar would most likely be fined.

This was the procedure in my area (Glasgow) several years ago, and I suppose it could have changed since I last lived in the UK.

In the USA, calling a school “parochial” nearly always means its run by the Catholics. So–there would be none of that anti-liquor nonsense.

The fundamentalists usually call their schools “Christian.” (Since they don’t really consider Catholics to be Christian.)

Depends who’s talking. “Parochial school” is defined as a school supported and controlled by a church, and I’ve seen many uses of the term that are clearly not limited to Catholic schools. That said, in my youth I never heard of one that wasn’t Catholic. In the last 10 or 20 years, it seems a lot of non-Catholic parochial schools have emerged.

Sad but true.

I live in one dry Texas county, and I work in another. I’ve never heard of a dry county where the mere possession of alcohol was an offense. “Dry” normally only means the banning of the sale, transportation, and/or public consumption. Of course, there are always wrinkles; my home county, for example, has banned package liquor sales, but there are plenty of bars and restaurants where you can buy beer, wine, or mixed drinks. But, the “no package sales” thing means that if you order a bucket of longnecks, they have to open every bottle before they send it to your table. And in the county where I work, you have to be a member of a club to drink in a bar, but membership is normally free; of course, the Alcoholic Beverage Commission periodically runs stings where they walk in and order, and if the place doesn’t verify their membership, they get fined.

Anyway, I’ve never encountered a county that was so dry that it forbade the keeping of alcohol in one’s private residence. If such a place exists, I’d like to hear about it.

And of course, you know why you always take two Baptists fishing? If you only take one, he’ll drink all your beer! :stuck_out_tongue:

Me too! I’ve encountered all kinds of variations on how people drink in dry counties, but I’ve never heard of one that actually forbade private possession of alcohol.

Even Prohibition only referred to manufacture, transportation and sale of liquor. It was illegal to sell liquor, but not illegal to own it. (And I think there were some exemptions for home production of limited amounts of alcohol.)

A law forbidding alcohol in a private residence isn’t the same as implicit condemnation of the householders by placing them on a blacklist, however nebulous that concept might be.

I’m rapidly gaining the impression that this blacklist, if it exists, is the work of a group of private individuals not officially connected with any education system, as proposed upthread.

back to the OP…

some PTA groups have a white list program, where they compile a list of parents who have pledged not to allow underage drinking in their home or to supervise gatherings of teens in their home. They sometimes also sponsor a safe house program (like this one) where parents can volunteer to serve as a safe haven for kids who get bullied on the way home from school or need some other type of assistance.

But I’ve never heard of any sort of organized black list program, even in private schools, and certainly not merely for the presence of alcohol in a single home.

I think the lady who wrote that letter is a loon.

We’re very safety conscious in Atlanta. We keep our liquor and our machineguns in separate cabinets.

(Machineguns??)

Atlanta? Maybe she meant Alta

Is there a list you can get on where you promise to let teenagers drink at your house, but not drive drunk or get alcohol poisoning or anything? :wink:

A lock on the medicine cabinet? Ours are built into the wall, and just have a wooden door on them. Installing locks would be damn near impossible.

let’s ask the obvious question. How do they know which houses have licquor in them? Door to door searches?

"iSSssss them durn loudmouth kids. hic Dang young’uns. "

Process of elimination. I could easily see the PTA sending out a form to all potential parents, asking them to sign if they agree to keep an “alcohol-free household”. The majority would probably either agree with it or be too cowed by the implied stigma. Thus, anyone who didn’t sign is an alcoholic.

This is probably illegal and unconstitutional on so many levels, but folks in suburban and rural Atlanta don’t so much care about answering to man’s law when it comes to raising good Christian kids.

Of course not. Don’t be ridiculous.

Did you paint the bathroom walls red to match ??

:wink:

I would like to know what happens to children who are on this “blacklist”. Banned from school activities? Neighbors protesting outside of their homes? Run out of town on a rail? What?

Cartooniverse

I thought Lubbock turned “wet” some years ago? When I attended Texas Tech, one had to go to New Mexico on the west and Fort Worth on the east to find alcohol.
Also, does Texas still have “local option” where a precinct within a “wet” county can vote itself “dry?”

I heard it as
Jews don’t recognize Jesus’s divinity
Protestants don’t recognize the Pope’s authority
Baptists don’t recognize each other in the liquor store

Actually, mine is square, fixed to the wall, and has a mirror on the front.

Drink it? I was under the impression most Southerners made it, but then, all I know of the South I learned from Andy Griffith and Barney Google.

*The preceding is intended for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to factual information is purely coincidental. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. Slightly funnier west of the Mississippi. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to CAB approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substaintial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem to be right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. At participating locations only. Not the Beatles. Penalty for private use. See label for sequence. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Your cancelled check is your recipt. Add toner. Place stamp here. Avoid contact with skin. Sanitized for your protection. Be sure each item is properly endorsed. Sign here without admitting guilt. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of dog. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Limited time offer, call now to insure prompt delivery. You must be present to win. No passes accepted for this engagement. No purchase necessary. Processed at location stamped in code at top of carton. Shading within a garment may occur. Use only in well-ventilated area. Keep away from fire or flame. Replace with same type. Approved for veterans. Booths for two or more. Check here if tax deductible. Some equipment shown is optional. Price does not include taxes. No Canadian coins. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. Reproduction strictly prohibited. No solicitors. No alcohol, dogs, or horses. No anchovies unless otherwise specified. Restaurant package, not for resale. List at least two alternate dates. First pull up, then pull down. Call toll free before digging. Driver does not carry cash. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification purposes only. Record additional transactions on back of previous stub. This supersedes all previous notices. *

FTR many Brits of a ‘certain age’ use the term machine gun when they mean automatic or semi-automatic weapon. They tend also to call all four-wheel drive vehicles ‘Jeeps’. I’ve never been able to figure out why they do either of these things.