Alcohol EATS Listerine's Plastic

How can Alcohol be in listerine? I thought alcohol had to be in a glass bottle or it eats through the plastic. Listerine is in a Plastic container.

Penguinsare@gmail.com

What makes you think alcohol eats plastic? Rubbing alcohol and cheap vodka are often stored in plastic containers…

Most plastics are pretty resistant to alcohol.

Don’t try storing butyrate dope in styrofoam, though.

And, of course, “alcohol” isn’t the name of a chemical in the first place, but the name of an entire family of chemicals of the type C[sub]n[/sub]H[sub]2n+1[/sub]OH.

Welcome to the board, penguinsare! In this particular forum, it is a good idea to include a link to the column. Like this: Can you get drunk on Listerine? How about vanilla extract?

Ignorant at 14, I poured some gasoline into a Styrofoam cup somewhat absent- mindedly. Sort of an analogous endless cup of coffee–if you know what I mean. Late, when Alien first came out, I laughed out loud when the incredibly dangerous “molecular acid” (haven’t found the MSDS yet) started eating through the spacecraft’s interior structure (FX looked like acetone). Plot-wise though, it made sense–the evil government/corporation not only wanted the creature, but was willing to do it on the cheap.

Welcome to the SDMB, penguinsare, and thank you for posting your comment.
Please include a link to Cecil’s column if it’s on the Straight Dope web site.
To include a link, it can be as simple as including the web page location in your post (make sure there is a space before and after the text of the URL).

Cecil’s column can be found on-line at the link posted by Perderabo.

moderator, «Comments on Cecil’s Columns»

P.S. penguinsare, if you want to include your e-mail address at the SDMB, you can put it in your user profile (click on the User CP link at the top of the page), instead of including it in your posts. There are some good reasons for doing this, number one being that if you decide you change your mind about making your e-mail address public you can remove it from the user profile, whereas once it’s included in a post, it’s there “forever”.