Alien poster to this MB !

Hello, I’m quite new here… just figured out a bit of the tricks to post messages etc., quite enjoying it actually…
I’m Dutch and was wondering if there are other non-US people posting here since it seems to be all-US from what I read - not that that’s a bad thing :wink:
OK, a quick list of facts:

• I’m 26, male, I live in Amsterdam, The Netherlands (boy, will that give me some questions eh ???);
  • I’m an Investment Banker in everyday life;
  • I’m into Formula 1, Soccer (actually we call it football here, but I’ll adapt :slight_smile: ), Prog-Rock (Rush, Marillion, Pink Floyd, Savatage, etc.) and Special Beers.

Well that sure sounds like an interesting life now doesn’t it ?

Anyway, just introducing myself, I hope to get aquainted with you folks real soon !

Cheers,

Coldfire

“You know how complex women are”

• Neil Peart, Rush (1993)

Welcome, new guy from Amsterdam. I’m a fairly new duck myself, but unfortunately hail from right in the middle of the US. That may be changing soon, as I’m about to move to the west coast of the US, and from there travel around the world with a friend.

Have you done much travelling?

Hope to see more from you on the other topics!

OfficeGirl

http://www.homestead.com/allusions/allusions.html

Fresh blood!
< sinister laughter >

Welcome to the nuthouse! :wink:

I prefer rogues to imbeciles because they sometimes take a rest.
Alexandre Dumas the Younger (1824-1895)

Welcome!! If I knew any Dutch, I say it in that…but I don’t. Anyway, welcome.

We’re a good bunch of people: higher-than-average intelligence with a higher-than-average smart ass quotient who sometimes like to pick at nits (nitpicking. Understand that?). Glad to have more non-US folks who can helps us to keep our outlook balanced.

Hi Coldfire,

We do have some non-Americans on this board. I’m not one of them, but they’re around. We have some Brits, a few Canadians, one guy who I think is American but lives in Mexico. And then there’s the Icelanders. Tread cautiously.

I’ve had the pleasure of visiting your fine city on several occasions. No where (save for Indonesia) has better Indonesian food. I also very much enjoyed the Van Gough Museum and the Anne Frank House. I know that I saw a lot more, but my memory is a bit, uh, hazy :wink:

Welcome to the SDMB.

“I think it would be a great idea” Mohandas Ghandi’s answer when asked what he thought of Western civilization

Oooo, I was just reading about the Netherlands today. You all made the headlines because of your euthanasia policies. I thought, “hmmm, I can always move there!”

Welcome! :slight_smile:

Speak for yourself. I only pretend to know what I’m talking about.

Welcome to you Coldfire, OfficeGirl. Have fun!

Veni, Vidi, Visa … I came, I saw, I bought.

Klompen!!

My one and only Dutch word.
Those are the wooden shoes.

::bowing deeply::

Also, krummelcragen!!
Can say it, can’t spell it. It is some kind of cake my sister-in-law from Holland makes.

::another deep bow::

::quick glance behind to make sure SqrlCub’s not lurking::

The only Dutch word one needs to know is Streufwafflen (spelling very bad). Man those things are good! And to whomever gave it to you: Dank jwell (also spelled very badly)

“I think it would be a great idea” Mohandas Ghandi’s answer when asked what he thought of Western civilization

After saying “Welcome”…

I’m wondering how long it will take Contestant #3 to see this post, and how he’ll react! :slight_smile:

Thanks guys, I’m overwhelmed (sp?).

Anyway, some Dutch lessons:

Klompen: ten points AND a cigar, that’s absolutely correct. The wooden shoes, or clogs as the Brits say - they call us cloggies…
Krummelkragen… hmmmmm… first part should be Kruimel (crums), not sure about the second part though… hey you learn something new about your country’s cuisine every day !! From an American !!
Stroopwafels was probably meant. A thin waffre (sp?) with maple cyrup, a true delight indeed.
And it’s Dank je wel, meaning thank you.

I’m surprised nobody’s mentioned grass & hookers yet :wink:

But the more-intelligent-than-average certainly shows up: somebody mentioned our euthanasia laws :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Mind you, they’re controversial here as well. It’s not that we just dispose of any old or otherwise useless person… but it must be said, we’re the first country to thoroughly legislate it, or try and tackle the problem in a legal way anyway. Same for abortion, BTW.

And YES, it’s legal to smoke pot in The Netherlands.

I’ll be talking to you…

Coldfire

“You know how complex women are”

• Neil Peart, Rush (1993)

Although my husband has spent much time in Eindhoven (joint development project with Phillips some time ago), my only experience with Amsterdam was many years ago as a tourist. Found that we could “read” the signs, street signs, trams, etc. enough to get around. Also enough to poke a little fun at: we named one square we passed daily “dogenshittenplatte” or something like that - it’s been a long time since then. It seemed to be the place everyone walked their dogs.

Beautiful country & good food. Welcome.

| | | | | | | | | |
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.

¡Bienvenido! Saludos desde México.

“And YES, it’s legal to smoke pot in The Netherlands.”

and YES there’s a few of us who want to get to know you really well, so we can come for a visit!

Welcome. In addition to Canadians and Brits, I think there’s a few Aussies around and at least one person from Japan.

Wow! Those Dutch words are fun to say! Got anymore, Coldfire? :slight_smile:

MaryAnn
Sometimes life is so great you just gotta muss up your hair and quack like a duck!

Woohoo! Another Rush fan! :slight_smile:

Welcome Coldfire. Hope you enjoy your stay!

The use of “alien” got my hopes up…when I saw the title of the thread I thought “They’ve chosen to make an appearance on the SDMB!! I will be vindicated!!”

But alas, I see now that you weren’t really talking above space aliens at all…quit teasing me!

Contestant #3

O.K., C#3—if we stop teasing you, can we start, say, slapping you around?
Welome to the S.D. message board, Coldfire! We hope you survive the experience!

We have met the enemy, and He is Us.–Walt Kelly

Dude, I hear you have a lot ofwell-built dykes there! Sounds cool to me!! :slight_smile:

Brian O’Neill
CMC International Records
rockuniverse.com/cmc/cmc.html

ICQ 35294890
AIM Scrabble1
Yahoo Messenger Brian_ONeill

We were secretly hoping that you would turn out to be a REAL alien, like from area 54, but welcome anyway! There are other “secret” versions of this message board available, plus a “homepage”, which you will find out about if you hang around here long enough. Then you will have become a “reg” (regular), and your “purity” score will have gone WAY down!

Gary