All Asian family sitcom, nonexistence?

Rory’s best friend on “Gilmore Girls” is Asian, and the show frequently spotlights Lane as well as her mom.

I think it’ll be a while before we see a critical mass of sitcoms dealing with Asian-American culture and issues. Remember AKA Pablo? Calculate how long it took for the network execs to get rid of that bad taste in their mouths before we got to George Lopez. That’s probably how long it will be between All-American Girl and the critical mass stage for an Asian-oriented sitcom.

Another thing with the new Latino sitcoms, the census people said that Latinos are now the biggest minority group in the US. That is probably having an influence as they try new markets. Asians are around 4%, IIRC. This town is like 1/3 asian, we even have asian tv channels, which the TV downstairs is usually on, so i am familiar with several asian comedy series (i don’t know their names or what is going on most of the time, but i know the actors/basic plotlines)

Thanks to the new “fad” of reality shows, there really aren’t all that many new sitcoms being produced. Networks are cowards and if they do produce a new one, they like to have a “star” attached, despite the dismal track record of such folks as the ex-Seinfeld cast.

Compared to the price of producing a sitcom, reality shows are dirt cheap.

Having worked in “Hollywood” for many years, I can safely say that the lack of Asian-American or Hispanic sitcoms has far less to do with racisim than it does with bottom line. They will only risk the bucks if they have a sure thing.

Give me a hot Asian comedian, a hot Hispanic comedian (George Lopez) and we’ll talk. Write the funniest sitcom pilot with any minority and it will sit on the shelf for years.

Yes, Hollywood producers are gutless wonders.