All Creatures Great & Small

Is it usual for a British TV series to be 7 episodes in a year’s time frame? It seems terribly short . And I’ve never read the books but it looks like they’re going to kill off Mrs Hall’s son in the war given the ship he’s on.

American but I’ve watched many UK shows and short seasons (series, in UK terminology) is very common, with many having just six or so episodes.

What I’m wondering is what’s going to happen next, if James and Tristan are both signing up. (I know in real life James Herriot spent part of the war flying planes for the RAF.)

This new series is straying far away from the stories in the books and is creating its own new story lines, so it will be interesting to see where it goes.

Missed this thread when started.
Like the OP I loved the books.
I’m enjoying it.
Not sure I like the Mrs. Hall character as they’ve portrayed her. And Mrs. Pumphrey should be a large woman.
I liked Diana Rigg better in that part.

That’s just mean. Are they overlapping other series to fill up a year or do we need to start a go-fund-me?

As far as on Masterpiece on PBS, they run a variety of series over the course of each year, mostly from the BBC.

On our local PBS station last night, after the final episode of Season/Series 3 aired, they mentioned that All Creatures had been picked up for a fourth series.

If one really wants to do a bit of crowdfunding in support of the series, pledging some support to your local PBS station does just that, especially if you indicate on your donation that you’re specifically supporting that series.

I was disappointed that it seemed the animal stories got pushed to the side. Way too much time spent on Mrs. H’s son, Mrs. H’s romance, the Tristan/whosie romance, on and on. Even the Trickie Woo pieces they put in seemed almost perfunctory.

I haven’t seen that episode yet. Is it HMS Hood?

HMS Repulse, sunk 10 December 1942 off Singapore. About half her crew were rescued, but his sleeve insignia suggests an engineer so his odds wouldn’t be great.

Repulse and Prince of Wales were my two other choices.

Dec 10 1941, not 1942.

I wonder what nickname Repulse crews were given by other sailors?

But yeah, next season there’ll be an episode that starts with Siegfried reading about the Repulse in the newspaper, and ends with Mrs. H receiving a telegram from the Admirality.

ETA: Ninja’d

Though another young man was from the Exeter. It could be worse.

:man_facepalming:
I suppose it’s possible he would be reassigned somewhere in the two years between the start of the war and the sinking, especially since the ship was laid up for refitting for a couple of months before sailing to the Far East (an ideal time to transfer crew). But like Mrs H, we’ll just have to wait and see.

Well they kinda rapped up the relationship issue when the deaf woman told her she could read her son’s lips as the train pulled out and he said he loved her.

Or, it’s a fresh start of a new relationship for the 2 of them. The writers appear to have set up something big with the reference to a ship the viewers know is going to sink.

On a side note, IMHO, the woman who plays Audrey, Anna Madeley, is simply beautiful, such symmetry of her face.