"All I know is the child is my warrant..." (The Road)

“And if he is not the word of god, then god never spoke.”

I don’t have a lot to say about it, other than that it must be among the best books ever written. I’m hoping someone else has something more intelligent to say.

The movie was not quite as good. (How could it be?) I thought it was good, but the acting was didn’t measure up to the material. Particularly the child actor (sorry child actor, whoever you are). One guy who really did measure up was Garret Gillahunt. (He was also in Deadwood.) I wish everyone could have brought the same level of intensity.

PS: It was meteor strike. I know the book didn’t say so, but it was.

I never saw the movie. I loved the book. It was the writing style…it distracted me at first and then slowly, ever so slowly, wrapped me up in it until I felt like I was in their world.

That book wrecked me. I picked it up on a whim when I arrived at the Newark airport, and my connection in Raleigh got delayed by 6 hours, so between the two flights and the layover I read the entire book straight through. I have a son who was about three years old at the time, and all I could do was see him as the Boy (but older of course). By the time we landed in Nashville I was a mess. I don’t think I could watch the movie, even if it had gotten better reviews.

As a Dad, I had the exact same reaction. I imagined myself in the father’s role, and knew my son and I would be dead within the week.
Reminds me of my mother’s big complaint about Nevil Shute, who wrote many good books we both loved, was that his final book was On the Beach, and then he died and left the rest of us to carry on with his vision of apocalypse in our heads. .

Yeah, the movie was okay but not as good as the book. (Same as Grapes of Wrath, the first book to ever make me cry.)

When I finished The Road I was bereft for days. Couldn’t even talk about it.

Cormac McCarthy has a way of presenting hopelessness with…hope. The real kind, the kind that will just get you by.

Loved the book. Never saw the film. I’ve tried reading a few of McCarthy’s others (Blood Meridian, Suttree, Pretty Horses, and a couple of others) and could never get on with them. I always thought he was terribly overrated but The Road is magnificent. Definitely in my top ten.

It is funny, I didn’t care for the book that much but inspired by this thread I just watched the movie on Netflix and really enjoyed it. Weird how that works sometimes. :slight_smile:

I reacted the same way when I first read the book. I remember, I was sitting in Business Class on the Eurostar, heading back home to Brussels from London - I had ordered the book from Amazon on pre-release. It had finally arrived and had packed it in my bag.

I read that sentence…“All I know is the child is my warrant, and if he is not the voice of God, then God never spoke”…and I teared up and wanted to cry. I have two daughters and in that moment I had found the words that seemed to hold all that I felt for my children.

I liked the book as well, I’ve read a few post-apocalypse books but none as unrelentingly bleak but with, as you say, an element of hope and humanity. But the ending left me unsure of what I felt about it:

(I assume spoilers are OK as the book as been out for so long)

I was glad the boy found a family willing to take him in but really unless things begin to change environment-wise all that means is that with more mouths to feed he’ll die quicker than with his dad.

But the single most chilling thing about that book isn’t anything in the book itself but a recent discussion in a thread where it was mentioned, someone stated that although humanity was doomed some men could hold out for twenty, thirty even forty years before final extinction of the species.

I just imagined what it would be like living in that world for so long and knowing you’re among the last of your kind, what sort of determination would you need to keep going until the very end?

shivers