All Presidential candidates are dead--Constitutional question.

Not an erotic ship line, but I had a plaque on one of my pontoon boats that read, “Marriages performed by the captain of this vessel remain valid for the duration of the cruise only”.

Why does the president’s oath have to be “administered” at all? The Constitution says nothing about a new president needing permission from some other party to be sworn in, and that would seem to raise a host of other problems; if someone has to be “authorized” to swear in a president, couldn’t the clique of authorized people simply refuse to do it? Why could the president not simply stand up and read it, or sign their name to a piece of paper on which it’s written?

I would argue that under any of these laws, a dead person is no longer a candidate and in any event is not constitutionally eligible for the office of President as the person is no longer a citizen of the United States. Further, the law is not a suicide pact. A dead person cannot serve as President or Vice President and any law should be interpreted with that spirit in mind.

As noted earlier, that happens in the Clancy novels. The new President asked his advisors for a list of respected Federal appellate judges and then nominated nine of them simultaneously, designating one of them as Chief Justice. The only other criterion he used, IIRC, was providing for broad geographic representation.

No. George Washington was sworn in the first time by the Chancellor of New York State, the top state judicial official, as there were not yet any Federal judges. It is customary but not legally required that the Chief Justice of the United States administer the presidential oath. The modern expectation, but not a legal requirement, is that a Federal judge will administer the oath (as the Coolidge and LBJ examples show).

That was implied to have happened on the show The West Wing: The West Wing - Wikipedia. I have read speculation that the change in the election timeline might have been just after Nixon’s resignation, esp. if a Democrat (most likely then-Speaker Carl Albert) succeeded him.

I am aware of no precedent for self-administered oaths. There are lots and lots of Federal officers, to say nothing of state officials, who are empowered to administer oaths anyway - and I don’t see why a President would want to give any reason for people to doubt the validity of his or her oath of office.