All right, fellow Bush haters, listen up.

[QUOTE=Zoe]
John, if you think a survey of Americans aged 18 and older reflects a “universal” opinion on the Iraq war, you might want to broaden your reading interests. In what countries will you find a majority of the people supporting Bush’s decision to invade Iraq?
[/QUOTE]

Are you honestly going to tell me that in the context of the discussion I was having it was not understood that we were talking about the US? I mean, since I used the term “universal” maybe we should include people from the planet Xeno, too. :wink:

And yes, I do have a vague inkling that the Iraq war is highly unpopular outside the US. Just a vague inkling…

[QUOTE=John Carter of Mars]
This is quite correct, but you don’t have to say goodbye entirely. The BoBBs (Brotherhood of Bush Bashers) provide a certain amount of reading amusement if it’s a slow night in MPSIMS or CS.

[/QUOTE]

Oh, it’s pretty much always a “slow” night in MPSIMS and CS.

[QUOTE=scotandrsn]
I would be lying if I said I never saw John Mace speak against some act of the current administration, although I am hard-pressed to recall the last time he made a post to that effect. What I do recall is that every criticism he makes is so heavily qualified in favor of shining a positive light on Bush & Co.'s numerous ethical atrocities, that I can only describe them as Praising Bush with Faint Damns.
[/QUOTE]

Well said. Not to turn this thread into a John Mace pile-on, but I found his responses in the interrogation/torture “clarity” thread to be rather weasly; “Hey, I’m opposed to torture, but I don’t see what’s wrong with Bush wanting to push the bounds of acceptable interrogation.” That fig leaf disclaimer in the beginning doesn’t cover a whole lot.

Iran? :wink:

[QUOTE=Der Trihs]
And if the only way to win is to cater to the scum who voted in a monster and fool like Bush ( twice ! ), then what’s the point of “winning” ? If you want a monster in power, just vote for a Republican, not an “evil-lite” Democrat.
[/QUOTE]

Wait, what the hell?

Look, something like 50% of the voters voted for Bush in the last election. So your electoral strategy is to write off all of them, since they’re scum, and not even try to get them to vote for a non-Republican. You don’t WANT their scummy votes!

Great plan there, sparky. That kind of attitude is gonna be reaaaaaal helpful in 2008.

[QUOTE=Debaser]
Maybe someday the board will shift back to some kind of balance, but for now the lunatics have taken over the asylum. It’s really not worth it.
[/QUOTE]
Here’s doubting it will shift back anytime soon.

It is beginning to look as if the Dems don’t have quite the lock they wished for on retaking the House, let alone the Senate. If they don’t, heads will explode the way they did when Bush was re-elected.

Entertaining, in a sort of Victorian “visit to Bedlam” kind of way.

Regards,
Shodan

[QUOTE=rjung]
Well said. Not to turn this thread into a John Mace pile-on…
[/quote]

Oh, please do! It’s not every poster who can make his poltical allies cringe at being on the same side with him. You do realize that, don’t you?

Well, that’s because you’re a moron. I still love you, though. :smiley:

I don’t much like Bush, very time I read elicadator lately, I’m firmly convinced that 1) he’s deranged, and 2) any cause he supports with such frothing irrationality and blazing yet flimsy rhetoric is de-facto suspect and something to stay far, far away from.

I know that Bush is bad; congratulations. I also know that I’d never vote for any person, place, or thing that’s only platform is “The other guy sucks”. And that’s all I hear from the libs.

And yet another night crying myself to sleep, clutching my banky…

[QUOTE=begbert2]
I don’t much like Bush, very time I read elicadator lately, I’m firmly convinced that 1) he’s deranged, and 2) any cause he supports with such frothing irrationality and blazing yet flimsy rhetoric is de-facto suspect and something to stay far, far away from.
[/QUOTE]

Cite. Just one will do.

Otherwise I cordially invite you to eat yet another turd double-decker – courtesy of GW of course.

[QUOTE=begbert2]
any cause he supports with such frothing irrationality and blazing yet flimsy rhetoric is de-facto suspect and something to stay far, far away from.
[/QUOTE]
Whatever you may think of elucidator, this argument is dumb beyond belief, and says way more about you than it does about him. In fact, it says more about how you determine your political beliefs than anything else. Sad.

You left out number 3: elucidator is by far the funniest sumbitch on this board!

If you stay far away from him it will be your loss.

Perhps you should do like I do and read his comments for their considerable mirth, and ignore the weighty shit 'cause he’s almost always on the wrong side. (I think it has something to do with his having moved from Texas to Minnesota.) :smiley:

[QUOTE=begbert2]
…I know that Bush is bad; congratulations. I also know that I’d never vote for any person, place, or thing that’s only platform is “The other guy sucks”. And that’s all I hear from the libs.
[/QUOTE]

And you know what? We’re sorry too. There’s a whole range of issues we would like to engage in meaningful debate: health care, economic justice, voting rights issues, oodles and gobs of them. But there is a decomposing elephant in the room, and it stinks the place up. We can barely breathe for the rotten stench, and you’re complaining because we aren’t civil and polite enough, we seem to be stuck on the matter of getting that huge pus-seeping corpse out of our lives! You want us to dust lightly around it? Maybe drape a doilly over some of the ranker parts?

Here’s the ugly truth: you don’t vote against him you’re voting for him. Period, full stop. The Bushiviks will take any victory, however slight and ill-gained, as a crushing mandate to continue thier policies without let or hindrance. If they are not thoroughly repudiated in this election, that is precisely what they will do.

Even if I mourn on Nov 8th, my goddam conscience will be clear. How about yours?

[QUOTE=elucidator]
And yet another night crying myself to sleep, clutching my banky…
[/QUOTE]

:: raises glass in toast, speaks with Irish accent (courtesy of Mike O’Connell) ::

“Here’s ta blackin’ out before ya cries yourself ta sleep!”

[QUOTE=begbert2]
“The other guy sucks”. And that’s all I hear from the libs.
[/QUOTE]
Friendly advice: old, balding men travel in packs. You’re saying the right things, but the clatter from their walkers is drowning you out.

It’s like my uncle Whitebow used to say: One day you’re going to piss in the wind. Just make sure you’re alone when you do it.

[QUOTE=Starving Artist]
… (I think it has something to do with his having moved from Texas to Minnesota.) :smiley:
[/QUOTE]

For one thing, people around here hardly ever carry firearms when they go to the bar. I find that soothing. Secondly, the Goddess has, in Her wisdom, blessed this land with long-leggedy Nordic beauties who spend $5 a year on makeup and $500 a year on books.

The weather, however, is ghastly. Horrendously cold. Bitter, bitter cold. Don’t move here. Stay away, you won’t like it. When they say “Get down!” around here, they mean you aren’t dressed warmly enough, you will surely perish. Did I mention the ice spiders? Deadly. Stay away. Iowa. Iowa is nice…

Actually, I was thinkin’ about askin’ if I could come stay with you, maybe a couple weeks…you bein’ such a good guy and all! Maybe I could come up before the bad weather hits?

[QUOTE=RedFury]
Cite. Just one will do.

Otherwise I cordially invite you to eat yet another turd double-decker – courtesy of GW of course.
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=elucidator]
Yes, I am. You can take my sincerity at face value, or go pound burdocks.

I have only one compunction: truth. If you have the facts to back you up, scream yer bloody head off! Happily, we do. The Forces of Darkness scream lies, we scream truth, and the angels are with us. I will never condone a lie, but I don’t have to, the truth is far damning enough.

I look forward to the day when the scoundrels are routed and we can return to at least occassional civility and polite discourse. But the moment is too crucial, there is too much at stake. If the Bushiviks are not thoroughly repudiated, they will take it as a mandate, a landslide of overwhelming approval. For these people, 50.0001% is a crushing landslide, if it goes their way. Goes against them, its just some mid-term statistical blip, never mind, stay the course, damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.

The road is uphill, polls and approval ratings notwithstanding. They have the money and they have the organization, and they have the cynical expertise. This will be a very, very tough fight!

And we dare not lose.
[/QUOTE]
Post 18 of this thread. We have Republicans = Forces of Darkness, “Bushiviks”, “Road is uphill…very, very tough fight…we must not lose” rhetoric. Loud, proud, and (excepting the brief response to the post it was replying to) full of nothing but bush-bashing.

So you can just eat that “turd-double-decker” yourself. Curious you said ‘another turd-double-decker’ there; trying to imply that I’m again, yet again, must always be wrong, just like anybody else who doesn’t instantly bash bush. You prove the OP’s point, sir.

On preview: hey, jjimm is piling on too! Sweeet. And I can live with what “distrusting a group’s merely because they don’t make any credible arguments in their favor, instead preferring to distract from that fact by rehashing the same old naughty things the other side has done” says about me. But sure, Ad-hominem away, boys, it’s a sure way to makes the target agree with you.

And elucidator?

  1. Whe you talk about nothing but the naughty things the opposition has done, it’s called ‘mudslinging’. Whether or not those things are true. And if all that a person/group/political party does is sling mud, I’m not impressed as to their likely merit in argument or office.

  2. Not voting for somebody isn’t the same as voting for him. Obviously. This is what I call ‘flimsy rhetoric’. Either that or trying to scare me into voting for you, based on nothing but what the other side’s done. Not impressive.

  3. My consience will be clear on Nov 8th. Thanks for taking an interest!

[QUOTE=Starving Artist]
… Maybe I could come up before the bad weather hits?
[/QUOTE]

Oh, you mean spring! Spring is nice, if it falls on a Sunday, we have a picnic.

[QUOTE=elucidator]
Oh, you mean spring! Spring is nice, if it falls on a Sunday, we have a picnic.
[/QUOTE]
…You are funny, though. When you’re not tryin’ to be scary.

[QUOTE=begbert2]
…1) Whe you talk about nothing but the naughty things the opposition has done, it’s called ‘mudslinging’. Whether or not those things are true. …
[/quote]

Dont be ridiculous, of course it matters whether its true or not. That’s just silly.