Alternate Endings of Movies that aren't Big

My biggest mystery in this is Mel Brooks’ Young Frankenstein. I’ve seen the film countless times, and own it on DVD. But I didn’t see it at its initial release.

Several people have told me that theres a brief scene between Marty Feldman as Ygor and Gene Wilder as DR. Frankenstein, when they’re presenting the Monster at the theater. They’re getting ready to go on, and Wilder looks at Feldman. They’re both dressed to the nines in tuxedos, and Wilder suddenly notices that Feldman’s hump – which shown a disconcerting tendency to migrate from one side to the other – isn’t there at all. The dialogue goes something like this:

Wilder: What happened to your hump?
Feldman: (haughtily) NEVER with a tux!

I have never seen this brief interplay, which seems completely in line with the Mel Brooks/Gene Wilder sense of humor, but numerous people have reported it to me, including my wife. I looked for it in the “deleted scenes” among the DVD “extras”, but it’s not there.

I refuse to believe that everyone who claimed to have seen it was mistaken, or convinced they had seen it after the fact (if they actually hadn’t).

One reason is that in the film as we currently have it, after the Monster goes mad from the adverse crowd reaction and the exploding stage lights, he knocks Wilder to the ground and storms off. Feldman and Terri Garr rush to Wilder to see if he’s OK and to help him up. And Feldman is not wearing a hump! Pull out your own DVD copy and have a look. Without that brief scene I quoted above the absence of the hump is unexplained, but you can clearly see there’s no hump there.

Anybody here recall seeing that scene?

Just for the record, are you posting from your timeline, or have you inadvertently crossed over into ours?

How would I know the difference?

What color is the boathouse at Hereford?

Who was the first man to land on the moon?

What color do you want it to be?

No one, of course

How does the movie “Big” end?

Any resemblance to persons living or dead is purley coincidental.
Copyright 1988 20th Century Fox

JOSH BASKIN WILL RETURN IN
BIG 2: A LITTLE BIGGER

Cal Meacham is apparently in a different timeline from ours and the endless Alternate Ending to Big thread is the nexus between the different timelines. Poetically appropriate.

Ah, that must be why he thinks Andy Warhol’s Frankenstein is a bad movie, instead of the classic of cinema it is.

I do feel a little bad for the people in his timeline, what with that whole “Val Kilmer never stopped being Batman” series of movies that show up everywhere (on TV, and streaming, and in theater revivals every time a new one comes out… which is at least twice a year).

At least they are spared from George Clooney as Batman.

Bat Nipples. (shudder)

In the proposed alternate ending for "“Castaway” Tom Hanks does meet the lady with the mysterious package he delivered. She exclaims, “Oh, this was for Roger - I forgot”. It contained a GPS receiver and a satellite phone.

Even worse, in that timeline, Kilmer never played Doc Holiday.

You mean this one?

I doubt that was ever proposed. It was just a joke, mostly by people that didn’t understand why it was so important for Chuck to keep one package and deliver it.

Now the actual ending, where he stands at a literal crossroads contemplating his future? That’s cringe-worthy.

That’s it!!

I think it was Roger Ebert who pointed out that if the entire movie’s worth of clues supported three different conclusions that the premise was worthless.