Alternate Oscar Votes

We were talking about “Bad” Oscar Movies http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?postid=2972109#post2972109.

It got me thinking about a book I read years back where a guy gave his alternate ballot to Oscar History.

He used all films released, but I am going to give my ballot based only on nominated films. I may go back further, but for now, I’ll go back to 1980.

You may vote as you choose, but let us know what method you are using. Let’s kind of get an idea over the most snubbed film all-time (although we all know it is Shakespeare over Pvt. Ryan.)

(These dates refer to the date of the ceremony. The films were from the previous year).

2002- Real Winner: Beautiful Mind. MY PICK- LotR. Gets screwed by anti-effects bias. BM was a good movie, but LotR was one of those special films. I AM glad Potsie won for Best Dir. though.

2001- Real Winner: Gladiator. MY PICK- Traffic. I guess… I really wasn’t impressed with this batch of films.

2000- Real Winner: American Beauty MY PICK- American Beauty. Again, a mediocre Oscar Year. Still, the script was good, the dialogue clever, and the acting was exceptional.

1999- Real Winner: Shakespeare in Love MY PICK- Saving Private Ryan. Those fat Weinstein Bros. musta bribed everyone in Hollywood. SiL was cute, but it was more the “fifth” nominee. SPR is in the Hollywood Pantheon of TRULY great films.

1998- Real Winner: Titanic MY PICK- LA Confidential. What are you gonna do? It was a really popular film. Well made, but only decent. LA Confidential on the other hand was a thinking piece (which explains it’s bottom of the barrell box office take).

1997- Real Winner: English Patient MY PICK- I guess I’d go with Fargo. I liked Jerry Maguire best, but a Best Picture it was not. EP was just WAY too boring. I like to use two factors in determing my picks: (1) Production Values and (2) Entertainment/Subject of Interest.

1996- Real Winner: Braveheart MY PICK- Again, another weak year. Much like NFL Instant Replay, I will only overrule the call on the field if there is conclusive evidence. None here so Braveheart stays.

1995- Real Winner: Forrest Gump MY PICK- Shawshank Redemption. An excellent year for nominations. I loved Gump (I am beginning to think I am in a minority), but Shawshank is one of my all-time favorite. Pulp Fiction could easily have been my choice as well. The other two nominees were Quiz Show and 4 Wedding. All decent films.

1994- Real Winner: Schindler’s List MY PICK- The Fugitive…Just Kidding.

1993- Real Winner: Unforgiven MY PICK- A Few Good Men. Sure it is cheesy and preachy, but Unforgiven bored the crap out of me (I don’t really like Westerns, I think). I am ashamed of this pick. AFGM is one of my guilty pleasures.

1992- Real Winner: Silence of the Lambs MY PICK- Silence. A decent year.

1991- Real Winner: Dances With Wolves MY PICK- Goodfellas. Another candidate for the biggest blown call of all time. Dances was a pretty movie, but Goodfellas is a top five caliber film. Scorcese was the one that REALLY got hosed.

1990- Real Winner: Driving Miss Daisy MY PICK- Dead Poets Society. Sniff. Sniff. Oh Captain, My Captain. I am such a wuss.

1989- Real Winner: Rain Man MY PICK- Dangerous Liasons. Just a notch better than Rain Man. Malkovich was exceptional.

1988- Real Winner: The Last Emporer. MY PICK- Whatever…

1987- Real Winner: Platoon. MY PICK- I agree.

1986- Real Winner: Out of Africa. MY PICK- Color Purple. The Oscar voters apparently did not agree that this was an Oscar worthy film.

1985- Real Winner: Amadeus. MY PICK- I agree. I only saw this film in the last year or so and I had misjudged it for many years before.

1984- Real Winner: Terms of Endearment MY PICK- The Right Stuff. Epic Historical film versus fluff piece.

1983- Real Winner: Ghandi. MY PICK- I’ll stick with Ghandi.

1982- Real Winner: Chariots of Fire. MY PICK- Raiders of the Lost Ark. Even though I love them all, this first installment was vastly superior to the other two. It suffers from the same bias that doomed LotR. What an excpetional movie. I probably have a fanboy bias myself. This is my favorite movie.

1981- Real Winner: Ordinary People MY PICK- I know I’m supposed to say Raging Bull here, but it was one of the best made, most boring films I have ever seen. I decline to vote.

1980- Real Winner: Kramer vs. Kramer MY PICK- No irrefutable evidence to overturn. Apoc. Now was slightly overrated in my opinion.

Agree with you here. Wanted more substance in BM (too Hollywood sappy). There’s all this talk about the whole LotR trilogy along w/ PJ being awarded in 2004, but I’m not going to hold my breath. I mean, I want to see it, but I’m preparing my heart for it to all go to hell in a lead boot.

Psst… it was Richie (though I hear that Potsie also has directing experience).

Simpsons joke.:smiley:

Sticking with English language films (unless they were actual nominees)–Any Film; Nominated Film:

2001 Mulholland Dr.; In the Bedroom
2000 Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon; Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
1999 Topsy-Turvy; The Insider
1998 Out of Sight; The Thin Red Line
1997 The Sweet Hereafter; L.A. Confidential
1996 Lone Star; Fargo
1995 Dead Man; Babe
1994 Fresh; Pulp Fiction
1993 The Piano; The Piano
1992 Simple Men; Unforgiven
1991 Naked Lunch; JFK
1990 Miller’s Crossing; GoodFellas
1989 Do the Right Thing; My Left Foot
1988 Bull Durham; Dangerous Liaisons
1987 Hope and Glory; Hope and Glory
1986 Salvador; A Room with a View
1985 Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure; Prizzi’s Honor
1984 This Is Spinal Tap; The Killing Fields
1983 The Dead Zone; The Right Stuff
1982 Tootsie; Tootsie
1981 Pennies from Heaven; Raiders of the Lost Ark
1980 The Big Red One; Raging Bull

p.s. You use the year of eligibility, not the year of the ceremony.

I had copied all of them off IMDB before I realized that they listed it by Date of Ceremony. I wasn’t gonna change everything! :slight_smile:

Any movie; nominated movie. Where my choice was nominated, it is listed alone.

2001: Memento; In the Bedroom
2000: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
1999: All About My Mother; American Beauty
1998: After Life; Saving Private Ryan
1997: Boogie Nights; L A Confidential
1996: Fargo
1995: Toy Story; The Postman
1994: Exotica; The Shawshank Redemption
1993: The Scent of Green Papaya; Schindler’s List
1992: Unforgiven
1991: Raise the Red Lantern; Beauty and the Beast
1990: Goodfellas
1989: Cinema Paradiso; Field of Dreams
1988: Grave of the Fireflies; The Accidental Tourist
1987: Red Sorghum; Broadcast News
1986: Jean de Florette/Manon of the Spring; Platoon
1985: Ran; The Color Purple
1984: Amadeus
1983: Never Cry Wolf; The Right Stuff
1982: Tootsie
1981: Raiders of the Lost Ark
1980: Raging Bull

Any English-language film:

2001: Memento
2000: Requiem for a Dream
1999: Election
1998: Happiness
1997: The Ice Storm
1996: Fargo
1995: Dead Man Walking
1994: Hoop Dreams*
1993: Schindler’s List
1992: Unforgiven
1991: My Own Private Idaho
1990: Goodfellas
1989: Do the Right Thing
1988: A Fish Called Wanda
1987: Broadcast News
1986: Blue Velvet
1985: Shoah**
1984: Amadeus
1983: Say Amen, Somebody*
1982: Blade Runner
1981: Raiders of the Lost Ark
1980: Raging Bull

*As for as I know, there’s nothing technically preventing documentaries from being best picture winners. If there is,
I’ll change the winners to the following:
1994: The Shawshank Redemption
1983: The Right Stuff

**Part 2 of Shoah never played at an Acdemy-sanctioned L.A. theater, making it inellgible for the real Oscars. If the Alternative Academy Awards have equally anal-rententive rules, my susbstitute pick is:
1985: Brazil

I did a double take when I saw this in your list. I immediately thought of that HORRID Kevin Costner movie! :slight_smile:

For my foreign language films, I used the title under which the film was most likely to be known, which in most cases is the English translation. The Postman is roughly equally known in both forms, but to clear up the confusion, consider 1995 changed to Il Postino.