Alum

Re:Alum

I once read in a book that prostitutes in the old days (19th Century) sometimes used alum to…Um…put some “grab” in their vaginas. Anyone else heard about this or am I nuts? ( I realize that the two are not mutually exclusive 0

Your memory regarding nineteenth-century prostitutes is accurate. Alum was used as a tightening agent, not simply to add more ‘grab’, but also to simulate youth and virginity where these characteristics were absent.

Fragano Ledgister
Last season’s fruit is eaten
And the fullfed beast shall kick the empty pail

Ewwwww.

I was reading that one of alum’s major uses in the past was for dying clothes. Alum treated cloth held its colors better. The Medici family of Florence helped build their fortune by controlling Italian sources of alum. When a large deposit was found near Volterra, the Medicis formented a war to conquer the city.

[[The Medici family of Florence helped build their fortune by controlling
Italian sources of alum. When a large deposit was found near Volterra,
the Medicis formented a war to conquer the city.]]

Hey, thanks for the info! That’s a great story, though I’m not discounting the possibility that you just completely made that up.
Jill

Hey, I didn’t see any mention of Alum’s use in shaving, as styptic. Its the best way to seal up a nick…a wee bit painful though. -clint

The column being referenced is

What is alum, and will it make someone’s mouth shrink, like in the cartoons? (Apr-23-1999)

bought a new deodorant; potassium alum crystal. i’m curious about the actual chemical ingredients. i know alum can be sulfates of several metals. i just want to avoid aluminum even in a stable state. any idea if this is aluminum free or not? if not,are there any health concerns about using these crystal deodorants? it works like none other yet i want to be careful; after all, this is America, where it’s legal to market a product that may well endanger our health. please advise.

Fireswamp, let us know if it makes your armpits pucker, eh?

[[after all, this is America, where it’s legal to market a product that may well endanger our health.]]

Products are more thoroughly testing in the U.S. than in most other countries. I don’t think there is any evidence that the aluminum present in antiperspirants is dangerous to your health. You might try antibacterial soap instead?
Jill

Unless, of course, there’s enough political clout behind something for the worms we send to Congress to tie the FDA’s hands.

e.g., the vitamin scam and so-called homeopathic “medicine”.

John W. Kennedy
“Compact is becoming contract; man only earns and pays.”
– Charles Williams

Cecil has made mention of the possible health risks of aluminum exposure. Basically comes down to, “Maybe, but we’re not sure.” Me, I’m still using aluminum-based antiperspirant. But I’m a daring kind of guy.
Here’s the link: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/971219.html

You can check out this link for the “Alum War” story, and the whole history of Volterra, for that matter.
http://www.toscana-toskana.de/tuscany/volterra-history.htm

Wow! I was sure suprised to find a topic I started almost a year agao still active!

Cecil said it. I believe it. That settles it.

We used to put alum water on the marching band’s mouthpieces as a prank to make them pucker and only able to produce squawks.

The Perfumed Garden (as you probably know, a 16th century muslim book on sex), has an entry on alum too. http://www.bibliomania.com/NonFiction/Nefzaoui/Garden/chap18.html