Am I the only one annoyed at the term "compute"?

I guess I’m firmly in old man territory now but every time I read or hear the usage of “compute” to describe computer capability I just get a little triggered. I think it’s because I remember it being used back in the 80s and then never for 3 decades and now it’s being used again like it never went away.

Or maybe I’m just having a Mandela effect moment and everyone will tell me they’ve been using it constantly for years. Bullshit.

As for why it annoys me, I have no idea. I guess this is how conservatives are made.

I am a software engineer. It irritates me no end.

So there are two of us.

Could you give us an example of the word’s use, in context?

Just off the top of my head:

“I got a new graphics card for compute, not for graphics.”

“How much compute does your new GPU have?”

I’m sure it’s used outside of GPUs. But it is common there. Stuff like crypto currency and AI use compute.

Does not compute.

Compute was originally a perfectly cromulent word, it refers to computing power as a continuous variable rather than discrete which made sense when we moved to cloud computing. Before cloud, we talked about having individual machines and deploying new, named machines. The change in paradigm was that compute was now just a dial you could turn by hand or autoscale via APIs.

Of course, people started misusing the term in an attempt to sound cooler and more modern but the original meaning was distinct and necessary.

So “compute” as a noun? And seemingly, a noun that dies not obey the rules of grammar?

I agree. That sounds very stupid.

I’ve never heard the word used in this manner. It’s ridiculous and immediately irritating. I’ve heard it used, “that does not compute”, meaning “that”, whatever it is, does not make any logical sense.

I have never been annoyed at the term compute until this happened:

This is the first time I’ve seen that usage.

Never heard it, instantly hate it.

I’ve seen it reasonably often lately, and, well, it does jar the ears, because it’s a usage I wasn’t used to. I wouldn’t say it annoys me; it’ll just take me a minute to get used to it.

Count me with those who have never heard this. Not saying it doesn’t happen, I probably just deal with more tech literate people. It sounds like either nonsense (how much go car have?) or meme talk. Which I guess is a different form of nonsense but at least intentional.

Here’s wiktionary’s entry of “compute” as a noun:

As a data scientist, my wife works with cloud computing, so perhaps that’s where I’ve been hearing it mostly, but I’m reasonably sure I’ve heard and seen it elsewhere, too. And it’s not “illiterate” talk. It’s industry jargon.

Now I’m in the mood for some stewed fruit in a sugary sauce.

That’s just smarter meme talk :wink:

Makes sense though since I talk to people about tech stuff but not industry professionals about cloud computing. I had the vibe that this was something the rank and file were saying to one another.

In what way do you think it does not obey the rules of grammar? If it’s a noun, it can be used in any syntactic structure that expects a noun.

“Compute” as a noun has a centuries-old history in English. In the 15th and 16th centuries it was used as a synonym for “computer”, and starting from the 16th century it’s been used as a synonym for “computation”, which is pretty close to the usage we’ve been discussing here.

Nouning weirds language.

its been flushed to the surface due to the whole AI frenzy …

For AI, you need:
-Data
-Models (=software)
-Compute (=hardware)

e.g. Amazon just spent 300 millión on compute at Nvidia

so its synonym for hardware, and there more specific processing power, particularly GPUs

This use of the word ‘compute’ does not compute.