Am I the only one who liked Hannibal?

<hands up in the air blocking the projectiles being thrown at me>

I watched this last night and have to say I enjoyed it. I didn’t really care for the first one, maybe that’s why I liked this one. The first one didn’t scare me or really thrill me. Too much psycho babble.

I’ve heard criticism on the direction that Agent Starling developed into, but hey, it’s his character and that’s what he wanted done. I didn’t read the book so I have no idea the movie followed the plot line.

I liked the scenes in Italy. I liked seeing Hannibal out in the free world. I didn’t mind the ending.

Just wanted to share my opinion. Am I alone here?

Yes

Oh, my my
Oh, hell, yes

Are you talking about Red Dragon?
I slept with a gun under the bed after I read it.

The character changed in the book, not the movie.

I enjoyed both, particularly the novel.

Yes. (Although I thought the dinner scene at the end was tasty.)

I forgot about Red Dragon. I meant Silence of the Lambs.

I liked it. Mostly because it had more of Hannibal Lecter in it. If you want more Clarice Starling, watch <i>Silence of the Lambs</i>. Want Hannibal Lecter? Watch <i>Hannibal</i>. Lecter was in SOTL for only 20 minutes. I mean, it’s not as if I dislike Starling, 'cause I don’t. But I’m always for the mean villans. Plus, Mason Verger is equally as evil as Lecter.

(SPOILERS)

My favorite scene was the lobotomy scene, where Crendell was so clueless.

“Clarice? Who’s Clarice?”
“If you can’t keep up with the conversation Paul, don’t say anything at all.”

[sub]or something like that. I’m sure some nice nitpicker will correct me. ;)[/sub]

I haven’t seen the movie, but I enjoyed the book. Surprisingly it really didn’t scare me all that much (and I do so love to be scared). It was more intellectually interesting, actually – all that stuff about how Hannibal catalogues information in his mind, like a large, many-cubbyholed mansion. The Mason part was just ick, but in a fascinating way. It was interesting to see just how gross things would get.

The movie The Silence of the Lambs frightened the padoodledabbers out of me (that’s the technical term, you know :wink: ). I read the book afterward and still found it mighty scary.

Just recently I read The Red Dragon and, like Hannibal, found it more interesting than scary.

shoot me, but I liked it. the variety of characters. no bad guy vs. good guy. reminds of the 2nd mummy movie.

I think it was the SDMB where someone pointed out that Hannibal is much more frightening in SOTL than Hannibal. Maybe it’s the short time he’s on screen, maybe it’s the precautions that must be taken with him. I think it’s they way he messes with people’s minds while physically restrained.

Red Dragon not frightening?
You run around in a little red cape or something?
That shit HAPPENS, man!

Loved the book, still haven’t seen the film because no-one would go with me!

If I had my 'druthers, the movie would have followed the book exactly. I couldn’t put it down once I realized where the Hannibal/Clarice thing was going.

I really can’t wait to see it, especially how they treat the big dinner scene.

And Red Dragon rocked. So did Manhunter, which may be re-made now. Why? Brian Cox (correct? Can’t remember now!) was masterful as Hannibal.

Aww, no sweetie, you’re not!! Actually I made a thread about this over the summer…I talked about how I felt I was the only one on the boards who loved it. Needless to say, there were others, I think they were just a little afraid to come out. :slight_smile:

I loved the book too, but the movie came pretty close, IMO. They changed the ending, and took some things out, unfortunately, but you can’t really compare a movie with a book…most of the time, you just can’t put in every single detail when you’re making a film.

Oh yeah, and for the record, I know Deiket shares some of my feelings on both the book and movie.

I’m a huge Hannibal fan. If you ask me though, Murdock is the one who really made the show for me, and I loved his constant interplay with Sgt. Baracus.

I thought it was a great movie, but the ending felt like Hannibal wasn’t Hannibal, and Clarice wasn’t Clarice. It just felt out of place. If there was a power outage at the last fifteen minutes the movie would have been better, but I would have been dying to know how it ended.

Wait a minute. Are you talking about the Cartheginian general? 'Cuz he’s okay too, although I wouldn’t say that I’m a fan.

Mark Twain’s hometown ain’t bad either.

There will be only one piece of carrion luggage per passenger. If it is too large to store in the overhead compartment or under the seat in front of you, you must then check your carrion baggage.

Brian Cox was great. I was watching the video recently and my son came in part way through it. At the time there was a scene with Lecter and Agent Will Graham. My son wasn’t really paying attention and didn’t know the characters’ names. He remarked “Wow, Anthony Hopkins really ripped off this guy’s character for Lecter, didn’t he?”

I can see it now, pay per post…
I paid money for this?!?!
:slight_smile:

Yes. Yes you are.

Czaoth, are you gong to eat your soup?
:slight_smile:
hmmm…we need a Hannibal smilie…maybe when we pay to post we’ll get cooler ones.