Am I the only one who's not !OUTRAGED! over the death of Cecil the lion?

What outrages me is that this dentist is probably going to get out of any blame whatsoever by shoving it all onto his hired guides. Zimbabwe isn’t going to want to kill the tourist trade of rich American Great White Hunter-wannabes, so the guides will become the scapegoats and all will go forward as it had before.

Now that truly disgusts me.

yes, you are the only one!

Well, I wasn’t outraged before this thread, because I hadn’t heard of the story.

Now I am.

So you’re still on your own, davidm.

I don’t know. Could the world have better spared this lion, than this dentist?

A good portion of the complaints are boilerplate anti-hunting sentiment, and I’m not interested in arguments that come from enjoying Bambi as a kid or subscribing to PETA. That’s clear in this thread. I don’t know what portion of guilt he holds, but poaching should absolutely be punished. His previous conviction stateside seems suspect.

Of course the outrage is overblown. See: the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory. The dentist, and/or guides, deserve to be prosecuted under the proper law, and not subject to a trial-by-internet, but I know that that’s not going to happen, and it will continue until Twitter finds a new cause célèbre.

I have a hard time trusting anything from the Mugabe-led Zimbabwe government.

So it was shot through the heart?

Then there’s the part about not actually killing the lion with his first shot. Cecil lived in pain for forty hours until they tracked him down and finished him off. There’s also the fact that he has 24 cubs that will now most likely be killed by other males seeking to pass on their bloodlines, not his.

The pictures of his “trophies” are sickening. That asshole and every one like him deserve what they get. The internet will move on soon enough.

That’s just lions being lions, though. Other males were just as likely to attack the pride, or rather him, to eliminate him, then eat the cubs.

I don’t find the pictures sickening exactly, but I don’t do sports hunting or trophies.

…and you’re to blame, dar… er dentist. :wink:

Inadequate man-child pays to pretend he killed a lion in “the wild”. He’s a cunt.

What do you suggest? That people rank all the day’s events by importance and then shut about things that don’t appear in the top five?

People are capable of thinking about more than one thing at a time. It’s a fallacy to imply that the existence of an issue with X importance should mean that anything with X-1 importance isn’t worth attention.

For those of us who appear to be living in an Internet cave: link? To whatever this is all about? Thanks.

If you plug “Cecil” into a Google News search, you’ll get approximately 1 grillion links about this event.

I found out that way that not only was Cecil the lion killed by an American dentist who paid out about $55,000 to do so, he was also a research subject who had been outfitted with a GPS collar (Cecil, that is, not the dentist). Donations have been pouring into the research center at Oxford that had been studying him (and other lions, of course), and that’s a link I’m happy to provide right here:

Wait…nope. Don’t care about Cecil the lion.

Here you go:

Does the fact that he’s also a sexual predator sway you at all?

It’s not so much that this particular story isn’t bad. It’s that every single day the news brings yet another story to be outraged about, and I’m tired of being outraged.

Nah. In the Grand Scheme of the Cosmos, this is all meaningless. Tomorrow, every single living thing will be just one more day closer to inevitable death. 100 or 500 or 1000 years from now it will be utterly forgotten.

However, right now, I’m going to have a beer.

I had exactly the same reaction as the OP. I’d be fine if he were extradited, but my level of interest does not remotely match how much of Cecil is showing up on Twitter and Facebook. Stop crying, Jimmy Kimmel!

The lion was very cute and did not need to die at that moment, but this dentist paid a huge sum of money for the pleasure of killing it. I don’t particularly want him shot or jailed, but the public hatred is warranted and the minimum punishment he deserves.