Amazing Race 3/13 "This Is The Most Stupid Day Ever." *spoilers*

Another TBC leg! That’s awesome; I don’t think there’s been two TBC legs on a race before, and I don’t think we’ve seen two non-elims this early before either.

Taxi Assessment:

Stuck in the Desert and Officially Detained - or, Philiminated with extreme prejudice.
Amanda & Kris and Mel & Mike - Already eliminated.

Special Guest Category: Drawing Chalk Circles Around African Kids - or, out of the car, wandering around, and seizing on the first random idea to come down the pike.
Kent & Vyxsin (shifted from “Stopping”) Just a terrible leg from Kent & Vyxsin, who should be grateful not only for the non-elim, but that there were enough bunching points in the leg that they could almost catch up. In some sense, Kent & Vyxsin’s performance can be pinned on whatever ineffective navigation process Vyxsin was using in Japan: their huge small-d-detour made them miss their flight, but it also made them hugely tired and stressed, which I’m sure contributed to Vyxsin’s meltdown at the Roadblock and Kent’s subsequent mishandling of their fanny-pack. But, on the other hand, as my wife pointed out: How the Hell do these teams keep losing all their ID and money? Why do they not strap on their pack and not take it off? Is this such a hard concept? In any case, Kent & Vyxsin are in last place, are forced to backtrack, may drop out of the Race because of lost ID, and are possibly facing a penalty for not following Race instructions. The only thing they have going for them now is the editor’s decision to feature them in the cliffhanger, which usually means their problems will be quickly resolved in the next episode.

Flat Tire - or, not likely to get anywhere soon.
Ron & Christina (holding steady) Ron & Christina score their second top-four finish in a row, which means perhaps they should be moved up from this category. However, the team is showing signs of an incipient breakdown (witness Ron’s freakout whn on the wrong bus), so I’ll hold off on a move for now. They certainly will have an advantage in China, what with knowing he language and all, so in the short term their future is bright. However, Ron is, rather hilariously, treating the Race as something of his own personal culinary tour of his homeland. I’m not sure I can totally fault him, but, you know, RAAAACE and all that.

Stopping for Gas - or, not broken-down, exactly, but not a good sign.
No one right now.

"Rapido! Por Favor?" - or, making meaningless ineffectual comments from the back seat, but in no immediate danger.
Jet & Cord (holding steady) Jet & Cord climb into second, and don’t exhibit any of the navigational or interpretational errors that have plagued them in the first few legs. No getting lost, a decent performance on the Roadblock, and of course the made-for-cowboys yak-saddling task. If this means that they’ve finally hit their stride, that’s great, but it’s a little early to completely absolve them of past mistakes.
Margie & Luke (holding steady) Margie & Luke notch a first-place finish, which is by far the best they’ve done this season (I just checked: Margie & Luke finished no worse than fourth on every leg of Season 14; this week is the first time they’ve done better than fifth this season).

In the Passing Lane - or, ahead of the pack, but not quite comfortably.
Kisha & Jen (holding steady) A quiet leg from Kisha & Jen, which is relatively normal for this team. Their de-emphasis makes me think they’ll become more important during the final legs of the Race.
Gary & Mallory (holding steady) Gary & Mallory finish in the top three again; they’re the only team to appear there three times this season. Plus, as Gary pointed out, they still have their get-out-of-task-free card, which I think is a huge advantage.
Flight Time & Big Easy (holding steady) The zodiac guesswork of both Flight Time and Big Easy was amusing, but I doubt it lost them much time. They finish comfortably in the middle of the pack. The Globetrotters haven’t been great this season, but they’ve never really been close to elimination, either. I’ll note, too, that they held the bus for Ron & Christina, which they totally didn’t have to do and goes toward evening up the score from last week’s fanny-pack tiff.
Zev & Justin (down from “Cruisin’”) Just when I thought Zev & Justin were unbeatable, they completely bomb the Detour. I suspect they’re not that far behind the rest of the teams, but they’re not that far ahead of poor Kent & Vyxsin, either. If Kent & Vyxsin get a little luck (because God knows they’re due some), Zev & Justin might be the team on the flip side.

Cruisin’ with Earl - or, drivin’ on the shoulder, takin’ shortcuts, and generally kickin’ butt.
No one.

[sub]Props to Mullinator and his Raj Rating[/sub]

I assume he had a list of all the Racers and their signs, provided by the producers ahead of time.

This strikes me as the kind of random factual information that some people would know and some people wouldn’t. Kind of like…element abbreviations on the periodic table. Which, it should be pointed out, only Kent knew right away. I’m guessing that, for the zodiac, the Racers remembered the information from the Detour task (they had to put the signs in order, right? And some teams actually wrote the signs down on paper.), which after all was only a few minutes previous. If that’s the case, I rather like the idea of rewarding teams that actually remember what the Hell they were doing just recently.

What’s weirder is that no-one…not one single team ever…lost their fanny packs/wallet/passports/etc in like the first 12 or so seasons. Not once.

The big drama in the olden days was the rare occasion when someone lost a clue or a route-marker or something and it was HUGE drama.

Why? What changed? If anything, the Race has gotten easier.

Great job, as usual, but what about Jaime and Kara?

Let me make sure I understand the season to date:

1. All Racers have appeared on TAR before.
  2. All Racers, ever, know Amazing Rule 3: never let go of the Amazing Fanny-pack, or you will be fucked. (A team can get by without a map, but lose the Pack and it’s game over.)
  3. TWO teams this Race have violated that Rule.

Are they SURE they’ve competed on this show before?

One of them twice in the very same leg!

In this season, yes. He said the same thing at the beach in Australia, then sprang the “You’re still racing” whenever a team hit the mat.

The looks on their faces, naturally, are priceless.

Oh my Og. Next time I need a purgative I’ll watch that episode.

(It can’t possibly be as painful as Battlefield Earth with the RiffTrax commentary, right? Right?? RIGHT???)

Did you miss last night? Vix left her passport at the ticket counter (once they finally made it to the airport) and had to sprint from the gate back to the counter, then back to the gate to make their flight. Then, after Vix’s meltdown at the Roadblock, Kent left the fannypack with both of their passports and money in the gondola that brought them down to the base of the mountain.

That’s… a good question. They should be listed under “Stopping for Gas.” I didn’t de-list them intentionally, but they had so little screentime this episode, I guess it dosn’t really matter. If it helps, pretend I wrote this:

Stopping for Gas - or, not broken-down, exactly, but not a good sign.
Jaime & Cara (holding steady) Miss January? Miss irrelevant.

Yes I did. I was out with my lady. Fiancee > TAR. Vyx is a Fyyl.

Oh, okay…absence excused. :slight_smile:

Justin and Zev were eliminated on their season because of lost documents. They were the first team to check in but left their passports in a cab.

Yup–but they were like season 15 or so.

A mom/son team was the first (IIRC) to lose their documents around season 13. Before that, no-one ever did.

I just checked. As far as I know, the first team to ever lose their documents was Toni and Dallas in Russia, Season 13. Before then, it had never been an issue–not even something talked about as a possibility. After Season 13, it’s happened at least once every season.

So…yeah, something changed.

Three guesses:
A) The producers or whoever would hold the fanny packs during challenges, etc. and they stopped doing that.
B) The contestants picked were generally dumber.
C) All of the above. :wink:

Yup - Toni & Dallas left the fanny pack in a cab in Moscow in Season 13. He claimed that they got out of the cab, he turned around to get the fanny pack, and the cab was already gone.

And add me to the list of people who’ve eaten at Chinese restaurants, but have no idea what my sign is. Looking it up, I’m apparently a Goat, more specifically a “Fire Goat”.

I wonder if the zodiac sign task actually listed the years associated with each sign, and the Trotters just missed it, or if all those other teams really knew off the top of the head what they were.

To me, this is the only time I can even somewhat be sympathetic to losing your passport. At least it is a moment where you are required to take it off your person and there are lots of distractions (especially in air ports since I have to think there’s a lot going on that gets edited out about dealing with the camera men and so on.

But otherwise I’m amazed that anybody keeps their passports in a fanny pack unless the show actually has a rule requiring it. I’d either wear a waterproof lanyard around my neck and not take it off for the entire race or I’d wear a waterproof money belt and never take it off for the entire race. Money and passports would never go in a pocket or a bag, or anywhere else.

The fanny pack has to come off all the time and each is an opportunity for disaster (I believe one of the times documents were lost was triggered by a microphone battery change where the pack was taken off to deal with the cords and then forgotten) and it seems like that potential is easily reduced.

I actually have a watertight floating case. Your recommendation for something similar for TAR is a very good suggestion.

And yes, OTTOMH when Toni & Dallas committed the first Loss Of FannyPack, they said in after-action interviews that it was due to battery changes.

OTTOMH again, there was an earlier Race where two girls got halfway-ish to their next destination, then realized they’d forgotten the pack in the changing room of the previous task. (I think it was the Moscow natatorium.)

I think it would actually be better if they never used the words “pit stop” at all. You follow the clue to the next destination, and maybe Phil is there to greet you and maybe he’s not. If he is, maybe it’s a rest stop or maybe you’re going to be told that you have to keep going…Element of surprise and all that.

I never knew that. I always thought if there was a massive production error, time credit should be given.

There was one where someone lost the freakin’ race because their car’s battery was drained (on two separate occasions) by the amazing camera crew.