Amazing Race 33

Did anyone else notice that several of the flag cakes the judge OKed had colored icing dripping down the side? Which might be OK except that he rejected one of the first two cakes he looked at for that very reason. “I’m sorry, but it’s dripping. I can’t have that.”

The singing cops were first ones out, and first ones out in the restart. That’s harsh.

There was a unseen speedbump in this leg in Switzerland, which according to the Cops (in a exit interview) was the cause of their loss.

The Speedbump was some sort of obstacle course that one of the duos had to navigate a hay field inside of a big orb that resembled a cabbage. Sounds like it would have been entertaining, too bad.

So, like a 19 month non-elimination leg? Did the other previously eliminated team (father/daughter) also have to do a speed bump?

ETA: my wife, who only half pays attention while I am watching, says she remembers Phil saying something to the cops at the mat about “that speed bump got you.” Which she thought was odd because she didn’t remember a speed bump.

According to Kim & Penn’s podcast, both returning eliminated teams had to do a speedbump after they left the belt task. It’s weird they didn’t show that since that helps to explain why they were so far behind.

Missed last week but got caught up last night. So, the previous week turned out to be another non elimination leg, but again I didn’t see anything about a speed bump this week. The NEL team was the last to start the leg, and that was about it.

I was impressed with the dudebros making a comeback after being last out of the cheese detour. And felt a little bit of schadenfreude with Akbar and Sherri getting eliminated due to Akbar not being able to keep up the pace, after he was always dogging on her for lagging behind.

(They kept referring to themselves as athletes but neither one of them seemed to be in any kind of great physical shape. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:)

I’m torn between admiring how nice a person Sherri is, and sneering at her for enabling/appeasing her abusive husband. I mean, episode after episode he has ridden her almost every moment: she’s too slow, she’s too fat, she’s going to make them lose, she’s lazy, she’s out of shape…on and on and on. And she just takes it.

And now that HE finally has to face a challenge with an endurance factor, one where he can’t take it easy while blaming their slow pace on HER, does he admit he’s too slow, out of shape, lazy, whatever? Oh, no. The problem is just he’s ‘too much of a man,’ that a wet suit to fit someone of his height weighs too much, and ‘the altitude got to him.’ And Shari, while waiting on it, just says she’s not going to put any blame on him, after all it would just make him feel bad and not change anything.

Sheesh. She’s a saint or a doormat.

I know, right? In the first episode, where they were talking about the youth program they run, I thought it was all kinds of awesome. But watching them actually race, every time he opened his mouth I couldn’t help but think “jeez, this guy is such a dick.” I’m actually surprised they made it through four legs of the race before getting eliminated.

god, yes. Watching Akbar and Sherri was like watching someone swim through molasses.

What exactly was the problem with the dudebros’ cheese-making? Nice comeback on their part.

I feel like this is a common problem where someone has a little bit of experience with a task that they overthink it. They were freaking out about keeping the liquid right at 85 degrees, which no one else was.

Yeah, it looked like every time it reached 85 degrees, they turned the heat down, which of course made the temperature go down again.

While they probably wouldn’t have pushed as hard, I wonder if they did the mule detour, how far in front would they have been?

Or even if they had switched when they first started talking about it, instead of waiting until everyone else was done with their cheese and had left.

On the other hand, a standing rule in TAR is “if you have a choice, do not pick a task involving an animal.” So I can’t say I blame them for not switching sooner.

I’m relieved that if Sheri & Akbar had to lose, they lost because of Akbar. Because he really was treating Sheri like crap. I hope it was just a bad edit.

The best moment of the episode was when Ryan and Dusty started busting out their pecs on the mat and Raquel and Cayla started imitating them. Followed by a subtle thumbs-up from the greeter.

And I’m so happy that (spoiler from previews) they’ll be eating Casu Marzu in the next episode. They don’t do enough food challenges anymore.

“We did want to come back,” Anthony said, but the timing just wasn’t right. He went on to say that, not too long before they got the call to come back, he’s landed a new financial advisor job that he’d been working towards for years, and he couldn’t take an extended leave of absence.

Spencer said that he was “ready to rock” when it was time to film again, adding that he’s been “sad watching the episodes knowing that we couldn’t go back.”

Link

mmm

Wouldn’t be surprised if Anthony and Spencer get invited back for another season.

So that’s 2 non-elim legs out of 4 since the return, both of which saved Arun & Natalia? I guess they have to do something to stretch out 7 teams to a reasonable number of episodes.
The Casu Martzu (apparently they spell it differently on Corsica than Sardinia) was everything I hoped for. No actual vomiting, but some good gagging on the maggots. I was amused that the cheese server went armed at all times.
I’m disappointed they didn’t mention that Napoleon was born on Corsica - his presence there was kind of odd if you didn’t know that.
The difference between the teams is very stark now. Clearly Ryan and Dusty are crushing anything physical, but can easily be eliminated by any sort of mental challenge. Penn & Kim and Racquel & Kayla are doing excellently, Lulu & Lala are very variable, and Arun & Natalia no longer have anywhere to hide and are doomed.

Eh, other than the cheese making task they seen to do fine. I think they’re just aware that if they do a physical task they can do it faster than anyone else.

Phil didn’t mention anything about starting teams next leg. I’m guess they’re all going to be flying together to the next location.

My wife was upset that the people gagging on the cheese right in front of the guy serving it. But even the people making gotta be aware how gross maggot cheese is, right?

I thought that’s why he had the shotgun, in case anyone attacked him for making them eat the cheese.
And he was giving out pretty huge chunks. When Andrew Zimmern had Casu Marzu on “Bizarre Foods”, it was more of a small smear, not a golf ball size piece.