Amazon Lord of the Rings series; The Rings of Power

That’s a little better for him.

Another question: What happened to the attendants on Galadriel’s boat trip? Did they get a free trip, or sail it back? Were the veils meant to hide their eyes from the “heavenly” light?

The canon answer: there was no reason the ship couldn’t return, although ships sailing from Valinor to Middle Earth were uncommon. In the Second Age elven ships commonly sailed back and forth from Valinor to Numenor - which is how Numenor got its lofty status in wisdom and technology - until relationships between Elves and Numenoreans soured. But there was no technical reason why a ship couldn’t return from Valinor to mortal realms.

Now, how the show runners envision it is anyone’s guess.

By the way things were staged, it didn’t look like they were Valinor-bound. Like the soldiers were being specially … sanctified?

They were veiled (or, at least, there were veiled attendants) in the court at Lindon, too.

Awww.

Err, off topic, but wth is supposed to happen to that man?

Of that, I have no idea. Express flight to the Halls of Mandos?

Someone is holding his beer, so I’m sure everything will be fine.

I’ve seen these videos. He is strapped to that slingshot, so he’s going to oscillate back-and-forth wildly for a few moments and then be left hanging in the air.

ETA: here’s an example. I strongly, strongly recommend turning off the sound.

That’s how they turned the elves into orcs.

The Forbes articles upthread helped to codify a lot of issues for me. I went in hoping that I would be enthralled, but so far really haven’t been able to really connect with the material, even though I am by nature strongly favorable to the high fantasy milieu. The usual process for me has typically gone “Blown away by the visuals/get my hopes up/watch a dialogue-heavy scene/get pushed out of the narrative.”

At this point all I can hope for is that the show Grows the Beard sometime in season 2 and the material starts to truly shine, and not drag.

Thanks! Happy to see that isn’t a scene from a snuff film.

Like The Hobbitt series, there are a few famous scenes they surely can hang their hats on.

I haven’t watched yet. I may commit but reading the reviews and what people have written here I doubt it is for me.

TLOTR took a reasonably simple story and a minimal cast of characters and managed to fill 9+ hours just nicely.

What I was concerned about is that this would be too complicated and tries to do far too much with the time allocated to it and judging by the conversations happening in this thread that seems to be the case.

For TLOTR the story was “destroy the ring” and everything hung on that. Is there a similar description for this series?

In a way. Here, you basically know the end - rings forged, big war, Isildur cuts of Sauron’s finger - so the whole series is basically, how do we get there? Right now it isn’t really coming into focus yet, though.

I think that may the thing that’s putting me off. That’s a hell of a lot or narrative and temporal ground to cover and can that be done without feeling rushed or complicated and while maintaining a solid narrative? The comments on this thread don’t fill me with confidence.
It seems like a big challenge

I mean, say 5 seasons, 8 episodes per season… sure it’s a lot of ground to cover, but not so much that it can’t be done in 40 hours of television.

Sure, but I guess it is more how it is done rather than whether it can be done. Is trying to cram everything in early on the way the go?

Happy Hobbit Day all.