American Idol (04/02): WTF?

There’s a flaw in the voting, though. People aren’t voted OFF the show, they are voted ON, and if they are voted ON LESS than others, they get the boot. So its not that the audience hates Carmen or Kim or whoever, its that they LOVE Reuben and Clay and whoever is at the top. So people vote like mad for the ones they want to keep, because they REALLY want to keep them, and no one votes for the people who are moderately good, or bad or even just great but not-as-great-as-X, and so they have to leave. And then everyone wonders “why?”

IMHO, the audience should be voting people OFF, not ON.

I can’t verify this but #1 is the most accurate from what I’ve heard. The voting in that episode was a sham, the producers decided beforehand that nobody would be voted off because they had already ejected Corey. Had Corey not been ejected prior to that episode, then somebody would have been voted off.

No, that was ‘The Tide Is High’, old school reggae, Debbie Harry wrote ‘Heart of Glass’. :slight_smile:

Back to the show…worst.episode.ever. I watched the first 30 minutes, and had to turn it off. I forgot to turn it back on and wasn’t that surprised they didn’t boot someone off. I can see why not. It’s still pretty lame to act like someone is getting booted, calling them down, then backing it off.

The product placement is getting absurd too. I think I’ll go HAVE A COKE NOW…

TOTALLY agree! This would allow a better cutting of the fat from the competition.

Blondie originally did “Heart of Glass” as an acoustic reggae number called “Once I Had a Love.” You can hear it on “The Platinum Collection.”

Simon was on either Letterman or Leno last night. He said Corey was going to get booted soon anyway. He said Ruben might be the best possiblilty to win and be an ‘idol’, whatever that is. Clay is just a good singer.

And wouldn’t we all kill to be “just a good singer?”

I third that. I felt that way last season. I suppose some people might still get voted off that shouldn’t (i.e. Tamyra last season) but hopefully doing it this way, only people who feel strongly that someone is not good enough will vote.

I would have definitely called in numerous times to vote Nikki off last season.

But doesn’t that open up the possibility that someone who was NOT the lowest vote getter in EITHER week will get the boot? That doesn’t seem fair, changing the rules in midstream. If anyone other than the lowest vote getter from the last show gets the boot, it’s not fair. If I was Josh, for example, and I got booted on the next show, I’d cry “foul!” Doesn’t matter what Simon thinks of his performance; Josh was NOT the lowest vote getter.

And, BTW, Clay is referred to as “Dobby” in our house.

Somehow I managed to quote the wrong post and it seems “edit” doesn’t work here. This is what I meant to quote

You wanna hear something even more outrageous?

According to AI Producer Nigel Lythgoe in an article appearing in the April 14th issue of People Magazine (which can’t be linked, as their online version is only for AOL members and paid subscribers)

Un-freaking-believeable. Not that I would ever pay to see one of their cheesey concerts anyway, but if I were so inclined, there’s no way in hell I’d pay to see that lying sack-o-turds with all the other legitimate contestants. And I’d think they’d resent having to share the limelight with him.

What a crock.

I was repeating what Simon said, not me. I think he’s the best, though I’ve only heard Ruben once.