American Idol: 3/30-3/31/11

I don’t want to spoil anything, but the one in the bottom three who turned out to be safe? Sucks ass. :mad:

too early for spoilers?

:mad:

:confused::mad:

Come on… will.i.am? Really? This fucker is completely untalented and that goddamned Black Eyed Peas band have absolutely no redeeming qualities. None whatsoever. Christ, they could fall off the earth now and the human virus would be better off. What a fucking embarrassment. Utter marketing bullshit. Assholes.

Sad to see Paul stay… he’s at the top of my list for the axe (right after that country singer guy). Thia, not surprised to see go. I liked Naima but again, not surprised to see her go. Meh.

Frankly they wasted their save on Casey. I think he’s out next week as the voters re-assert their position, without the drama of the save. They would have done better to throw Casey out and keep Naima, and save their save for a more appropriate situation.

One thing’s for sure… the folks that have made it this far are goddamned talented and won’t have a problem finding work going forward.

But will.i.am? Come on.

Thia and Naima are out. Paul was the other singer in the bottom three.

Addressed.

Hurray!!!

Agree on the Black Eyed Peas. I have never understood the fascination or their popularity, and I have very broad musical tastes, so it’s not just a genre thing. I have a respect from everything from electronica to metal to folk to opera, but the Black Eyed Peas just leave me completely underwhelmed.

Not too sad to see either of the two eliminated go.

wow. 30 posts.

I think this is proof positive that this show may finally be at the end of its cycle. I think the people who watched this show in the beginning have aged enough that their interests have changed. It certainly doesn’t keep my attention like it used to.

It seems I’m not the only one to feel this way. These threads used to go on for pages.

For me, Elton John week is the worst. That’s an immediate channel changer.

One thing I will say for this season: I really enjoy the judges. Tyler is great, and J.Lo is fantastic eye candy. Randy has always been annoying with his “dog” schtick, but it works for him and I don’t mind it. I absolutely don’t miss Simon or Kara.

:mad: I’m done. Now one of my favorites is gone, there’s only one other contestant I have a little interest in, and I know that contestant will probably be the next one voted out. AI is like an entirely different show this year, it’s like an imitation of AI of the past. Ryan Seacrest is now just a non-descript announcer without Simon, anyone could take his place. The guests are blah, Elton John was blah. There’s no zip, no excitement, it’s like the show has somehow been dialed down several notches. I wonder how the ratings are, I bet they’re the lowest they’ve ever been.

They are still high enough tobeat all the alternatives in that time slot.

Finally watched the 2-hour show (which is at least 1/2 hour too long IMO).

Scotty: Good, but same old, same old. Points off for bringing up Grandma.

Naima: Oh sweet Jesus. That was a brave arrangement but let’s face it, reggae works a lot better when both the performers and audience are high.

Paul: Paul does “Rocket Man.” No different than Paul does “insert any tune.”

Lauren: Loved this rendition of “Candle in the Wind.” Changed it up a little without messing too much with the melody. She still seems nervous, but it’s nice to see someone with a smidgeon of humility left. Both James and Pia could use some humility at this stage.

Pia: Another ballad? Seriously? She has a great voice, with the personality of a Barbie Doll. Where’s Simon to call her out on it when you need him?

Stefano: I fast-forwarded it once he sang the first stanza. The way he looks at the camera squicks me out. And I’ve heard better singers. Why in the hell did they save him from the beginning?

Thia: Best song she’s ever done. She’s got a beautiful voice, but she’s got nothing else going for her that would motivate me to pick up the phone or fire up the computer. And points off for bringing up her brother.

James: James does rock. Gee, Scotty does country, Pia does ballads, and James does rock. Will any of these people EVER break out of their mold? Points off for wearing the scarf and tail again.

Casey: That rendition wasn’t the least bit interesting or different. He seems like a nice guy, but he could learn a few things from David Cook about arranging songs in a new and different way.

Jacob: I can’t help but like him, but he’s clearly a Broadway performer and not a hit record kind of guy. He emotes too much. I could see him in “Jesus Christ Superstar” or something like that.

Haley: Horrible song choice. She looked uncomfortable doing it.

As far as the results show goes, once I heard that Will.i.am was the guest star, I immediately deleted the show. How these people make money in the music industry is beyond me.

Sooo…two more women out.

This whole season does suck. I had a feeling losing Simon would hurt AI and indeed it has. Steven Tyler was great at first but now he’s a big wuss with his “critiques.” He loves everyone. JLo and Randy are Ok, but they need someone to serve a harsh dose of reality to the contestants. As for them…

Scotty: I’m done with him. Sick of country.

Naima: Bombed the last several performances in my opinion and this one was cringe worthy.

Paul: I actually kind of like him for being something different and showing some energy.

James: Great pipes, but I fear AI will ruin him. He needs to find a kickass rock band.

Stefano: Usually good, but this was was kind of meh.

Pia: Fantastic vocalist but I may as well watch paint dry. She keeps her feet planted in one spot throughout the entire performance and all she sings is ballads. It’s old.

Thia: I liked her performance this week, but yeah, also kind of boring.

Lauren: She’s ok. At least she doesn’t ONLY do country.

Casey: Maybe his best performance. Less screaming, more singing.

Jacob: Sounds like Kermit the Frog. I don’t care for it.

Haley: Has talent, but it doesn’t always shine through. I think she has great vocal control.

Worst. Talent. Ever.

The only reason I’m watching this season is that my two year old likes it. Everyone in America that can sing has already been on the show. It needs to go away for a few years to let the talent build back up.

It’s just so DULL. Last year, Adam Lambert vs. the church basement folksingy guy was interesting. The year with my sweet secret boyfriend David Cook was interesting as I saw him edge nearer to winning. This bunch is just MEH. Talented, yes, but MEH.

I like Casey and hate Jacob, and it kills me that Casey doesn’t seem to know what to do, and Jacob keeps getting away with what he IS doing. I thought this week’s performances were a great showcase - Casey doing a very nice job, with very nice touch on his song, and Jacob just throwing his song down in the gutter and stomping all over it, as usual. I don’t even think Jacob has that great a voice (I don’t like his tone and how he sings), and he certainly doesn’t know how to interpret a song. They keep telling him not to over-dramatize, and he keeps right on doing it.

Hands off MY boyfriend, you shameless tart!

I forgot to say, props to Casey for getting a haircut and beard trim - I can’t call him Pubeface any more.

I just listened to Casey and Jacob’s performances without watching them - Casey has a much more pleasant voice than Jacob.

I agree with all these criticisms. The thing is, people who can sing as well as this bunch are a dime a dozen. My daughter is in Royal Conservatory vocals, and when I go to the recitals for her small school I hear half a dozen young people who can sing as well as or better than the people on American Idol this year, with the possible exception of James, Pia and Joseph who have pretty good vocal gifts.

Any touring company for any musical will have a dozen singers that could keep up with this year’s AI pack. Any local choir and a lot of local rock bands will have singers that could compete with this group.

But what sets an ‘Idol’ apart from just the crop of good singers are the intangibles - the ability to move you to tears through interpretation, the ability to cover a song in unique and credible ways, the ability to write songs, charisma, etc. They have to have that ‘it’ factor that makes you want to watch them. Adam Lambert and David Cook had it. So did Crystal Bowersox. Hell, even the also-rans like Brooke White and Jason Castro had their own character and their own way of delivering songs in valuable ways.

This group has no one like that. Jacob is perhaps the only one doing something unusual. The rest of them are just generic singers.

The thing that’s enjoyable about American Idol for me is that ‘what will they do THIS week?’ factor. Oh, it’s Sinatra night! David Cook is a rocker, but it will be interesting to see how he delivers a Sinatra song. He’ll probably do some cool rock re-invention that will be interesting to see. Maybe Brooke will do something tender and heartfelt at the piano, or maybe she’ll melt down. Adam Lambert will do something amazing, certainly. Crystal will come out with her acoustic and surprise everyone.

This year, there’s no one with that kind of personal appeal. I could care less what Pia brings to Sinatra night. I know she’ll sing well and hit some outrageously high notes, but so what? There’s nothing magic about that. I have no interest in seeing Stefano’s take on, well, pretty much anything. Etc.

I thought Casey would be that guy this year - the one who could be counted on to come out week after week with something new and surprising, but good. I wanted to see him take a disco song and turn it into an upright-bass slapfest. We were promised that he was the best musician to ever be on the show, so I thought we’d see other instruments - maybe a rockin’ melodica solo in the middle of some song or whatever. But so far, all he’s done is growl and grin at the cameras. His performance last night was good, but it wasn’t interesting. It was just a guy with a decent-but-not-great voice singing a ballad. Yawn.

Unless these guys really step it up, I’m probably off this show. Or rather, I’ll keep DVR’ing it, but rather than fast-forwarding through half an hour of glurge and commercials I’ll be fast-forwarding through 50 minutes of it, watching just enough to see if there’s anything worth going back and really watching.

It will be interesting to see what “The Voice” is all about. It starts this month, and hopefully the competition will improve AI. Then in the fall we have Simon’s “X Factor”, which promises to be more interesting than American Idol.

I can’t disagree with much of that, Sam (with the caveat that by “unusual” for Jacob you actually mean “irritating” :slight_smile: ).