American pizza

In reply to High Jass:

30 minutes thing - not that I’ve ever heard of.
Toppings - same stuff as in the US but already made up into named pizzas.
Not American or Italian. I asked at the pizza place tonight (what a surprise hey, craving BBQ chicken and pepperoni) and the kid there who worked in New York says you’d be killed for serving up Aussie sauce bases in New York. He says they are far tastier than
the Italian originals (understatement is everything).
Usually 3, pan, thin , and some other name thought up by marketting.
VCaries from $6 - $18 depending where you get it, what the size is, what the deal is.
Yeah, silly upscale pizza is pretty widespread.

Back to the ordering method I think Australia and Europe have the answer. Our way is like walking up and saying “a works burger thanks” rather than “a plain burger with bacon, cheese, egg, pineapple and BBQ sauce thanks”. We’re too busy for that. Ha ha.

It’s 45 minutes or less in the UK; our pizza joints are more widely spread.

It varies, but here’s the list from one of our locals:

BBQ sauce, salsa sauce, tomato sauce, anchovies, bacon, baked beans, olives, chicken, tandoori chicken, BBQ chicken, chilli beef, chilli peppers, capers, green peppers, ham, jalapeno peppers, mushrooms, onions, pepperoni, prawns, pineapple, potato, sweetcorn, spicy sausage, tuna, tomato, meatballs, cheese, garlic, tabasco sauce.

I’ve also seen chorizo, Peking duck, salami, feta cheese, goats cheese, garlic sausage, smoked sausage, banana and peas (to name but a few)

The ones run by Italians often advertise as Italian. Nobody would be seen dead advertising as American except Domino’s.

Again, it varies from place to place. Most do a thin crust or deep pan option. Occasionally one will do ultra-thin bases.

To quote but one example, a 12" deep pan pizza with bacon, chilli beef, pepperoni and spicy sausage costs £10.95. You don’t as a rule tip for delivery in the UK.

I couldn’t tell you on this one; I don’t eat pizza in restaurants. I do know that one of our local pizza delivery firms branched out into a restaurant, and that they still sell the “gourmet” pizzas that are no longer delivered, but what the likes of Pizza Express sell I cannot say.

It would cost about the same in the U.S. – except we don’t use money named after a unit of weight. :wink: (12" is the U.S. pizza industry’s standard “medium-sized” pizza.)

Here in America, we call that toast! :wink:

MeanJoe

Best. Pizza. Evah.

Oooh God, the only thing I miss about living in NYC. I’m drooling.

MeanJoe

ya’ll, I had a great experience regarding pizza the other day. The wife and I were at Sam’s Club and tried a sample of Buffalo Chicken Pizza. OMG! It was so good, I went straight over and got one. I ate the thing over a period of three days. I would never have imagined that Sam’s Club brand pizza could be so tasty.

You got me curious, what place, and what time frame?
P.S. anybody here ever stop at Beaujos in Colorado? They got two kinds of crust, 4 thicknesses, 12 sauces, about 40 ingrediants, and 10 cheeses. Yummmmmmmmmmmmy. :slight_smile: plus about 20 preset combinations.

http://www.beaujos.com
If you’re hungry going up I-70 stop in Idaho springs.

Well I don’t know about American pizza, but I do know pizza here in Canada is pretty darn good. My usual order is thick crust, pepperoni, green olives, bacon. OR, thick crust, pepperoni, italian sausage, and green peppers.

Germany has fantastic pizza. Go figure.

By which do you mean it would cost $10.95, or that it would cost the USD equivalent of £10.95?

In the UK it’s a pizza for two. Then again, we aren’t a nation of lard-arses begging for a coronary. </racial stereotyping> :smiley:

Here in central Vermont, there’s a great local gourmet pizza shop called American Flatbread, the pizzas are all handmade, cooked in a primitive earthenware oven and they’re some of the best pizzas i’ve ever had

they also carry them in some American grocery stores, in the health food section, yes, they’re frozen, but they’re one of those rare frozen pizzas that actually tastes better than the box that contains it :wink:

on a scale of 1-10, 1 being those insipid, mass produced crappy pizzas, and 10 being home-made, the frozen AF pizzas are easily a 9.5

Best pizza I ever had was at a tiny 2-outlet California place not far from Venice Beach. Good salads, wheat crust options, great taste. Can’t remember the name – anybody know what this place is/was? Johnny_LA?

FYI, at least 6 varieties of the California Pizza Kitchen menu linked to above are in our local supermarket. But they try to make them unpopular – they aren’t stored with other pizzas, but in the “snack” section. Apparently anything other than a peperroni and sausage pizza in Wisconsin isn’t REALLY a pizza, just a snack.

In Jersey (best pizza in the country… like NY pizza) and now in Georgia we have the order your toppings. That’s the only way to do it, IMO.

I hate named pizzas.

I worked for a small outfit that had their own fiercely dedicated clientelle but also got calls from people who saw too many ads for the national chains and didn’t bother to read the ad in the phone book.

The former were a problem because they’d order things by name that hadn’t been on the menu for 15 years and we’d have to find the boss to figure out what was supposed to go on them. The latter were a problem because they’d order a “Hawaiian” and expect ham and pineapple, which was not what our “Tropical Hawaiian” had on it. They’d order a “Canadian”, expecting bacon, pepperoni and mushrooms, and be very surprised to find peppers and pineapple on it.

In Finland, most pizza places have an “American style” pizza, which almost always has blue cheese, pineapple, and ham. I don’t know why they associate blue cheese with America, since it’s a pretty unusual topping here, but I guess the ham and pineapple come from the Hawaiian style.

Yeah, a 12" medium is standard for only two people. Unless you’re really hungry, then maybe a large.

Okay, I live in Japan, so –

– what?

No, sorry, but I must…

In the bigger cities on Honshu (largest of the main islands), there are some American chains. Pizza Hut and Domino’s are the ones I’ve heard of. Where I live (Kyushu, about 20 years behind), we just have the Japanese chains. Pizza-La, Pizza House, and Strawberry Cones Pizza. (And no, I’m not making up that last. I’ve never ever ordered from there, though.)

Looking at my Pizza House menu, a 30 cm (“large”) pizza (about equivalent to your 12 inch pizzas) costs around 1800 yen ($17) or so. Toppings include –

– look, just skip to the next bit if you don’t want to know…
…okay, first some names.

Mayo-tama pizza
Potato Mayonnaise pizza
Pizzagna (a layer of lasagna on pizza crust…mmmmmmmm)
beef yakiniku pizza
teriyaki chicken pizza
beer-friends pizza

As well as the regular stuff, the ingredients (RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY NOW!) can include:

shrimp
squid
corn
mayonnaise (?!)
cashew nuts (?!?)
egg salad (!?!)

and I don’t think you can order by ingredient, sadly.

Oops, I forgot to add – Delivery is free, takes from 45 minutes to an hour, and tipping is a cultural no-no in Japan.

And an “extra-large” 35 cm pizza ranges from $20 to $30.

:urk:

Our favorite Italian restaurant in Sasebo, Japan, Pinocchio’s, serves pizzas with…er…interesting names. Such as Whore’s Pizza and Pizza Without Hopes Nor Dreams.

Don’t remember what was on them, but the PWHND was actually pretty good. (No squid or corn, either!)