American pizza

I once had a pizza at the Pizza Hut in Bahrain. Ordered it with sausage, it came with little balls of lamb meat. Not the greatest meat for a pizza topping.

Used to be, if you ordered a pepperoni pizza in Germany, you got a pizza with those long banana peppers on it.

My favorite local pizza is something called a “Rosemary Rustica”, which has chicken, potatoes, rosemary, cheese in a white garlic sauce. Yummm.

I’d realy have to agree about Famous Ray’s Pizza…It’s by far the best!! Though there are quite a few different Ray’s pizzas scattered around the city, my personal favorite is the one on 6th Ave and 11th street. A nice big slice of pizza…and they dont do “extra Cheese”…you cant fit more cheese on it. Just amazing!!!

There’s also a Gino’s pizza near Kennedy airport that is great. You go in and order a slice with sausageand they pull out a sausage and start slicing…

All this I miss now that I’m away from New York. Not a day goes by that I dont shed a tear for my beloved pizza!!!

(My choice… Sausage and pepperoni… But… the pepperoni must be placed on the pizza AFTER the pizza comes out of the oven!! When the pepperoni is cooked it gets all hard and crusty. Raw pepperoni is the way to go…they dont call it a cold-cut for nothing!!!)

Steve

You, sir, are a sick sexual deviant - that, or you’ve had too many overcooked pepperoni pizzas. Raw pepperoni is yicky. Properly cooked pepperoni - so it’s red, not black - is manna from heaven.

(Which is how Jesus fed the five thousand, of course - he ordered in mackerel pizza.)

The former – except that nearly every pizza chain over here issues volume-discount coupons, so if you use one of their coupons and get, say, two medium (12") pizzas, the price per pizza might even be less than the latter.

Someone mentioned California Pizza Kitchen. I lived in Berkeley for a year and a half, and I don’t know about southern California, but the folks in Northern California do not know how to make good pizza. New Yorkers know pizza. Chicagoans know pizza. Berkeleyites know sprouts. (Don’t get me started on the sprouts.) After a long and fruitless hunt for decent pizza in Berkeley, I wouldn’t touch anything that has California in the name.

My favorite pizza joints in places I have lived are:

Ames, Iowa: Great Plains Sauce and Dough – This place makes truly massive pizzas. A large will easily feed 4 hungry college guys. Unparalleled amounts of cheese make it an impressively heavy pie. It’s served with honey for putting on the crust, which is about an inch and a half thick at the outer edge. 2 slices is like alternating meal/dessert/meal/dessert.

Minneapolis: Leaning Tower of Pizza – Nice zesty sauce, with generous, good-quality toppings and cheese. Chunks-o-garlic are a must.

Honey?

And there used to be a CPK in Harvard Square, of all places (and an Uno’s, deep crust being the only dough in MA able to properly hold the right amount of cheese). I think the name came from the association CA has out here of freshness, innovative cuisine, a casual lifestyle suitable for consuming pizza, and putting vegetables on everything :wink:

There are a few competing chains of pizzeria’s here in NY calling themselves Ray’s, and it’s become a cliche. There’s Famous Ray’s Original, Ray’s Famous Original, Original NY Ray’s Pizza, etc. When you call something Famous Ray’s whatever, it means either totally authentic or something that’s trading on a famous name it didn’t quite earn. The thread for the plain old ‘Law and Order’ show over at Television Without Pity is named “Law & Order: Famous Ray’s Original” to distinguish it from the four or so spinoffs.

You sure it wasn’t peppercini pizza? I think that’s what those things are called.

We have “Mexicana” or “Tex Mex” pizza. It a form of chillied minced meat! (ground beef). Actually it’s good!

and other toppings that rival those Japanese. Chicken liver pizza anyone? :smiley:

Pizza Perfect
Debonairs
St Elmo’s

We can also specifiy toppings if we want.

We had Pizza Hut but they have closed down. Ditto for Domino’s.

Yup. I usually go with stuffed-crust pepperoni Tombstone when I have frozen pizza.

Hmph! The Japanese miniaturized radios in the 1960s, and now they’re miniaturizing pizza.

As any red-blooded American will tell you, a LARGE (not extra-large) pizza is supposed to be 14" (35.6 cm), minimum. An EXTRA-large pizza is either 16" (40.6 cm) or 18" (45.7 cm), depending on which pizza chain you go to. Mountain Mike’s “Mountain Sized” pizza is 20" (50.8 cm), and I remember a pizza restaurant on the old Santa Monica Promenade that used to make 26" (66 cm) pizzas!

In fact, our pizzas are so big that we had to invent new names for pizzas smaller than a “Small” (10" or 25.4 cm), such as “Personal” or “Individual”.

You’re just not going to the right places. Round Table makes excellent pizza, just to name one.